HMS Ontario 1780 scale 1:32 POB full version

Do you really need a good excuse to buy more good tools for work and hobby!

Check with Donnie, he had given me good info on what he uses and difference in basic or getting a "Packaged Deal" with all the extras you will need. He recommended Sherline, as good home mill, good prices and works for hobbyist, but not cost of machine shop quality.

What I really like about this hobby is seeing what others all around the globe are doing for the same hobby.

Kits being made in over a dozen different countries, most can be built by anyone in any other country thanks to google translate to convert instructions as needed.

Even when language doesn't come out well, the photos speak for themselves. No more truer now is the old saying that a picture is worth a 1000 words!

Sure, Mill is a good tool but... it is not often in use (IMHO). There is a great way building grates using a tablesaw. I don't have it documented\photocopied not have a video, but this method is really popular among Russian modelers. Check my Charles Yacht build log. I discuss this method. It is relatively easy.

Sure, Mill is a good tool but... it is not often in use (IMHO). There is a great way building grates using a tablesaw. I don't have it documented\photocopied not have a video, but this method is really popular among Russian modelers. Check my Charles Yacht build log. I discuss this method. It is relatively easy.
I think it is also discussed in detail in Berhard Frohlich the art of shipmodeling

If you are a scratch builder doing plank on frame than you are going to use it a lot

I would go the mill route for the gratings Zolly.Yes many use the saw route and it is in Frolich's book.HOWEVER at 1/32 your holes will work out at 2mm square.You would need a blade with 2mm Kerf to do this easily.A blade with 2mm Kerf will have larger teeth and rip the little teeth of the grating off.Finding a fine tooth blade with 2mm Kerf will not be easy.

I know Proxxon tools has had some bad rep on here lately and my FET has shortcomings.The MF70 mill,though,is brilliant for these smaller jobs and mine is now 7 years old.I have used it that much that I have just ordered a new XY table as it has worn out through use,there is now too much backlash in the leadscrews.This is not adjustable but that is a feature you only find a full size professional tools costing many thousands.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I would go the mill route for the gratings Zolly.Yes many use the saw route and it is in Frolich's book.HOWEVER at 1/32 your holes will work out at 2mm square.You would need a blade with 2mm Kerf to do this easily.A blade with 2mm Kerf will have larger teeth and rip the little teeth of the grating off.Finding a fine tooth blade with 2mm Kerf will not be easy.

I know Proxxon tools has had some bad rep on here lately and my FET has shortcomings.The MF70 mill,though,is brilliant for these smaller jobs and mine is now 7 years old.I have used it that much that I have just ordered a new XY table as it has worn out through use,there is now too much backlash in the leadscrews.This is not adjustable but that is a feature you only find a full size professional tools costing many thousands.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thank you Nigel for your input,my mill will be here shortly.

So Zoly, are you going to tell us what mill you decided to buy?

I keep thinking of getting a small table saw and mill, but funds are a bit tight, especially after my wife saw invoice for last ship kit that came in. Lesson learned, don't leave your paperwork laying on bench in work area, the admiral often visits to check on how things are going and looks at such things.

So Zoly, are you going to tell us what mill you decided to buy?
Hello Kurt, If I am not mistaken Zoly mentioned in an earlier post what mill he can afford... (for now) ;)

Back