HMS Ontario - MarisStella 1:48 by Don Robinson

Hello all, here is my build log for the HMS Ontario another fine kit from kit from MarisStella.
This kit is a first in many ways for MarisStella, the first being is that it is an English ship. MarisStella in the past has done has done kits primarily of Mediterranean origins so this kit is a bold new step for them. Another first for them is laser cut decks and planks and with this kit they offer 3D supplemental packages that include transom, stern windows, bow decorations and cannons. There is also a sail package available.
I should remark that this kit is NOT an entry level kit and although it does contain clearly written instructions the ability to read and understand plans is a must to guide you through the build. Included with the kit is a 128 page booklet that contains the instructions and parts list but for the most part it contains many 3d pictures to help with the construction of the ship. I will show this booklet throughout the log along with the detailed plans.
Unlike my last build I will try and make this log a little more detailed to help those who may wish to build this kit in the future.
So pull up a chair a cold beverage and whatever else you may need and let's get started:

IMG_3570.JPGIMG_3571.JPGIMG_3572.JPGIMG_3573.JPGIMG_3574.JPG
The box contents, what I did forget was pictures of the 3D pieces, the booklet and the four sheets of plans. I should have hired @Heinrich for this part of my build! :p I promise I will get them to you later on.

IMG_3568.JPG
The first billet containing the pieces for the keel former.

IMG_3569.JPG
Glued and clamping on a piece of glass. No sanding or filing needed as all parts fit perfect.

IMG_3576.JPG
Gluing on the four support pieces

IMG_E3580.JPG
Next the instructions call for putting together the keel. At this point I glued everything together, on a flat surface, but left off the stern piece as it just seemed too fragile to be glued on now.
IMG_3637.JPG
The stern post is now glued on to the assembly and the false keel is about to be next. The addition of the false keel is not mentioned in the instructions but the plans do show it and there is material for it. This is where reading and understanding the plans is a must.
I'll stop here and let you guys finish your naps, I'm going for a coffee and will be right back

Attachments

• IMG_3604.JPG
    IMG_3604.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 35
WOW!!! Front row for this one with my binoculars affixed to this build. I have made no secret of the fact that I have always held Maris Stella in very high regard! I was really interested when they announced the HMS Speedy but all has gone quiet on that front. Congratulations with this fine kit, Don and may you have a great time building her!

Next is to attach the fish plates and horseshoe plates to the keel

IMG_3662.JPG

Here is a closer look at them. I understand the horseshoe plates but I don't see a fish in the fish plates:confused:

IMG_3671.JPGIMG_3672.JPG
Glued in place using ca glue

WYCW5688.JPG
Ok, about to start installing the bulkheads. This first one needs a little work done to it first to allow the bowsprit to go through to the gundeck. I have marked out the approximate hole I will need, you can see this in the 3d drawing also. Again this is not written in the book but is clearly shown here and on the plans.
Save all drinking for after the work session!!:p

IMG_3665.JPG
I've now moved to the garage to use the scroll saw.
IMG_3668.JPGIMG_3669.JPG
Here are a couple of shots of my garage, I know it's a little messy but then I was not expecting company!!

IMG_3673.JPG
I forgot to show this earlier, but the stern post needs to be slightly bevelled, from 6 mm at the top to 5.2 mm at the bottom.

IMG_3674.JPG
At the stem a little filing is needed for the bowsprit to rest

IMG_3675.JPG
Here the installation of the bulkheads has begun, do not glue at this point.

A little more to come, I'll be back!!

Attachments

• IMG_3661.JPG
    IMG_3661.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 9
Hello all, here is my build log for the HMS Ontario another fine kit from kit from MarisStella.
This kit is a first in many ways for MarisStella, the first being is that it is an English ship. MarisStella in the past has done has done kits primarily of Mediterranean origins so this kit is a bold new step for them. Another first for them is laser cut decks and planks and with this kit they offer 3D supplemental packages that include transom, stern windows, bow decorations and cannons. There is also a sail package available.
I should remark that this kit is NOT an entry level kit and although it does contain clearly written instructions the ability to read and understand plans is a must to guide you through the build. Included with the kit is a 128 page booklet that contains the instructions and parts list but for the most part it contains many 3d pictures to help with the construction of the ship. I will show this booklet throughout the log along with the detailed plans.
Unlike my last build I will try and make this log a little more detailed to help those who may wish to build this kit in the future.
So pull up a chair a cold beverage and whatever else you may need and let's get started:

View attachment 195915View attachment 195916View attachment 195917View attachment 195918View attachment 195919
The box contents, what I did forget was pictures of the 3D pieces, the booklet and the four sheets of plans. I should have hired @Heinrich for this part of my build! :p I promise I will get them to you later on.

View attachment 195920

View attachment 195921
Glued and clamping on a piece of glass. No sanding or filing needed as all parts fit perfect.

View attachment 195923

View attachment 195926
Next the instructions call for putting together the keel. At this point I glued everything together, on a flat surface, but left off the stern piece as it just seemed too fragile to be glued on now.
View attachment 195925
The stern post is now glued on to the assembly and the false keel is about to be next. The addition of the false keel is not mentioned in the instructions but the plans do show it and there is material for it. This is where reading and understanding the plans is a must.
I'll stop here and let you guys finish your naps, I'm going for a coffee and will be right back
Great looking kit. What kind of wood is used?

And some moreIMG_3682.JPG
In the second last picture I showed at the bow how I filed the piece out. Now if you notice here where that piece is and how the bowsprit is sitting you will notice the bowsprit is sitting slightly lower than the angled piece. This tells you that the piece needs to be adjusted accordingly to allow for bowsprit to sit at the proper angle and height. I only mention this because this is the sort of thing that is not included in the instructions but if you follow the plans all the information is there for you.
IMG_3683.JPGIMG_3684.JPGIMG_3685.JPG
Ok, bulkheads are in position and the supporting strips in place, now is the time to start gluing. Be sure all bulkheads are properly seated then when the strips are installed everything should be square, minor adjusting may be required. I used a brush to apply glue to all joints. Be sure to apply lots of glue to bulkheads 3 at the bow, as you can see when it is finally properly shaped for the bowsprit it is almost two separate pieces.

IMG_3686.JPGIMG_3687.JPGIMG_3688.JPG
These last three pictures are showing the final size of hole required for the bowsprit to fit

That's it for now until next time, hope you enjoyed and to see you again

I understand the horseshoe plates but I don't see a fish in the fish plates:confused:
I'm not 100% sure but being a viking I think it derives all the way back from the viking ships. From a piece of wood that . . . eh . . . kept the mast erected . . . as they say. The plates that are bolted between 2 rail road tracks are also called fish plates and reportedly it got this name from this piece of wood. With some imagination and a little good will I think it could resemble a fish:
375981d11aa64181a4460cda59d6079c.jpg

Thanks Everyone for your likes and comments
@Heinrich the Speedy is still coming out, Zoran is working on it as we speak
@zoly99sask , I guess it is a little familiar. The hull is entirely painted so the horseshoe and fish plates will be the same colour as the hull.
@DocBlake , great of you to stop in. Bowties I agree with!
@Gennaro for the most part it is lime and walnut.. The laser cut floor planking I am not sure of yet, but am waiting for an answer from MarisStella about it
@PoulD , I can see some form of a fish there at least! :)

View attachment 195915View attachment 195916View attachment 195917View attachment 195918View attachment 195919

View attachment 195920

View attachment 195921

View attachment 195923

View attachment 195926
View attachment 195925
I have my chair pulled up and large soft drink to sip on while I watch, now to enjoy what looks like a quality ship build.

I am very happy to see one building log of this very interesting kit - I will follow with big interest, especially you mentioned, that you will do the log in detail - GREAT

Back