HMS Ontario - MarisStella 1:48 by Don Robinson

Hello all. Well my week is over for the Ontario and it's off to the Bluenose this week. I'm happy with the results of the week although I did wander off to the Bluenose one day and the last two days were a little wasted as you will see. :p

IMG_3905.JPG
This is my solution to cover the knees at the stern, made from blood wood with a Swiss pear trim

IMG_3910.JPG
And here it is installed

IMG_3911.JPG
As I mentioned before this will really not be seen again but I know it looks better!

IMG_3912.JPG
Well the captain left for a little shore leave and look what happens. The crew has a party, it seems they even had pole dancers!!

IMG_3913.JPG

That looks like the captain's private stash and his best goblets

IMG_3914.JPG
Hopefully this mess gets cleaned up before he gets back.

IMG_3916.JPG
I, for one, am out of here before the flogging starts!

CHEERS,
have a safe week!! :)Beer

Don you ARE ONE in a million!!! I spent blood-sweat hours on the Haarlem this week in my few gaps and you and your crew are off having a party! It looks great and your solution and doubles up as a nice flat surface on which I'm sure the party got out of hand! It looks super my friend! Thumbsup

Hello all. Well my week is over for the Ontario and it's off to the Bluenose this week. I'm happy with the results of the week although I did wander off to the Bluenose one day and the last two days were a little wasted as you will see. :p

View attachment 204926
This is my solution to cover the knees at the stern, made from blood wood with a Swiss pear trim

View attachment 204927
And here it is installed

View attachment 204928
As I mentioned before this will really not be seen again but I know it looks better!

View attachment 204929
Well the captain left for a little shore leave and look what happens. The crew has a party, it seems they even had pole dancers!!

View attachment 204930

That looks like the captain's private stash and his best goblets

View attachment 204931
Hopefully this mess gets cleaned up before he gets back.

View attachment 204932
I, for one, am out of here before the flogging starts!

CHEERS,
have a safe week!! :)Beer
You have earned a full sized goblet and cold larger bottles. Rich (PT-2)

Hello all, here is my build log for the HMS Ontario another fine kit from kit from MarisStella.
This kit is a first in many ways for MarisStella, the first being is that it is an English ship. MarisStella in the past has done has done kits primarily of Mediterranean origins so this kit is a bold new step for them. Another first for them is laser cut decks and planks and with this kit they offer 3D supplemental packages that include transom, stern windows, bow decorations and cannons. There is also a sail package available.
I should remark that this kit is NOT an entry level kit and although it does contain clearly written instructions the ability to read and understand plans is a must to guide you through the build. Included with the kit is a 128 page booklet that contains the instructions and parts list but for the most part it contains many 3d pictures to help with the construction of the ship. I will show this booklet throughout the log along with the detailed plans.
Unlike my last build I will try and make this log a little more detailed to help those who may wish to build this kit in the future.
So pull up a chair a cold beverage and whatever else you may need and let's get started:

View attachment 195915View attachment 195916View attachment 195917View attachment 195918View attachment 195919
The box contents, what I did forget was pictures of the 3D pieces, the booklet and the four sheets of plans. I should have hired @Heinrich for this part of my build! :p I promise I will get them to you later on.

View attachment 195920
The first billet containing the pieces for the keel former.

View attachment 195921
Glued and clamping on a piece of glass. No sanding or filing needed as all parts fit perfect.

View attachment 195923
Gluing on the four support pieces

View attachment 195926
Next the instructions call for putting together the keel. At this point I glued everything together, on a flat surface, but left off the stern piece as it just seemed too fragile to be glued on now.
View attachment 195925
The stern post is now glued on to the assembly and the false keel is about to be next. The addition of the false keel is not mentioned in the instructions but the plans do show it and there is material for it. This is where reading and understanding the plans is a must.
I'll stop here and let you guys finish your naps, I'm going for a coffee and will be right back
Hallo Don alias @DonRobinson
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Are you still working on the Ontario?

Happy birthday you old scoundrel. Apart from getting up to no good, what else have you been doing??? I hope you and the Admiral have a stunning day:)

Hey Don, any updates on the Ontario. Im close to needing another ship to build so im in the decision phase.

Enjoying your build Don . I’m starting the Ontario kit next week . Had started it 6 months ago and ran into a few issues so I had the material replaced thanks to MarisStella and am starting over .
Great service from Zoran at MarisStella .
Silverfox..

Dear Friends

DON ROBINSON SADLY PASSED AWAY ON SEPTEMBER 25, 2023

Back