HMS PANDORA 1:72 - Modelship Dockyard

Geez, I hope you don’t experience a “Tsunami “ event as I did. I think mine was more of the Godzilla type vs Catzilla.
So far, it seems that I'm OK, Jan (touch wood). The worst they get up to is to climb "over" the Pandora (very carefully though, I might add) and Strider rubbing up against the WB. Still, better safe than sorry - hence moving the latter to a safe (locked away) location. :)

Hello Henrich, I am a little late as normal but have finally caught up to you with your HMS Pandora. Looks like you are really enjoying this very different type of a kit , and will be fowling along as you put her all together. Your WB sure turned out to be a master piece, congratulations.
Regards Lawrence

@Pathfinder65, these events have to be prevented almost every day when i am planking a hul or when i am fiddling with rope Jan, as the Catzilla's wake up and see a plank wich is a bit longer, then i have their full attention, the sma goes for a piece of rope. o_Oo_O
I know the feeling- my little feline played with my rigging and my Victory lost the top gallant mast….ROTF. cat curry was considered.

Hello Henrich, I am a little late as normal but have finally caught up to you with your HMS Pandora. Looks like you are really enjoying this very different type of a kit , and will be fowling along as you put her all together. Your WB sure turned out to be a master piece, congratulations.
Regards Lawrence
Thank you for the kind words, my friend. I am indeed enjoying the build - it's always nice to be doing something completely new. As to the WB, I am very pleased with the result so far. Ideally, I should declare the build finished and have some nice pics taken, but somehow, that is just not a priority - for me the build is what it is all about; the finished product is less important.

Hello Everyone

This is just a quick "touch sides" with you all to show you some work on the Pandora. This week it was gunports and let's be honest, they are right up there with ratlines and gun carriages on my list of laborious things to do. In any case, they are all installed.

微信图片_20240322212220.jpg
Here you can see all 24 gunports are installed. On the Starboard Side the first 6 (viewed from the bow) have all been shaped and sanded to conform to the contours of the outer hull. All twelve still need to be shaped according to the inner contours.

微信图片_20240322212207.jpg
On the Port side all twelve gunports have been shaped to both inner and outer hull forms and are finished (unless I still decide to paint them.)

Tomorrow will be spent finishing the gunports on the starboard side (both inner and outer) and then I will see where my fancy takes me. The stern transom piece has not yet been affixed to the hull as there is still some interior decorations that needs to be completed. I think it is going to be easier to do it off the ship - hence the reason for it not being glued into place. Alternatively, I can start with the waterways and deck installation or even lay the first of the exterior planks.

Note that the planked portion of the hull has still not been sanded. Visually, it is not much of an update, but I can assure you, it consumed enough time! :)

Looks like you're making good progress. I can commiserate on the tedious, repeat and go the next. It's almost like working from a check list. Step one, check, step two, check.

Jan
Hi Jan. I am glad for what I could do in the time that I had. The gluing part is OK, because it feels at least like I am constructing something. The filing part, however, is not what I would call exciting! In any case, I just need to keep my head down and do what needs to be done. :)

Hello Everyone

This is just a quick "touch sides" with you all to show you some work on the Pandora. This week it was gunports and let's be honest, they are right up there with ratlines and gun carriages on my list of laborious things to do. In any case, they are all installed.

View attachment 436686
Here you can see all 24 gunports are installed. On the Starboard Side the first 6 (viewed from the bow) have all been shaped and sanded to conform to the contours of the outer hull. All twelve still need to be shaped according to the inner contours.

View attachment 436690
On the Port side all twelve gunports have been shaped to both inner and outer hull forms and are finished (unless I still decide to paint them.)

Tomorrow will be spent finishing the gunports on the starboard side (both inner and outer) and then I will see where my fancy takes me. The stern transom piece has not yet been affixed to the hull as there is still some interior decorations that needs to be completed. I think it is going to be easier to do it off the ship - hence the reason for it not being glued into place. Alternatively, I can start with the waterways and deck installation or even lay the first of the exterior planks.

Note that the planked portion of the hull has still not been sanded. Visually, it is not much of an update, but I can assure you, it consumed enough time! :)
Good evening Heinrich. Visually there is plenty to view. As you know, It’s all the tedious bits and prep that create a beautiful ship. I always find we go through plenty of “ugly “ to get to the beautiful…..however when we get there it’s worth it. Cheers Grant

Good evening Heinrich. Visually there is plenty to view. As you know, It’s all the tedious bits and prep that create a beautiful ship. I always find we go through plenty of “ugly “ to get to the beautiful…..however when we get there it’s worth it. Cheers Grant
Hello, Grant. You are so right when you say that there is plenty of "ugly" that precedes the final product (in my case, at least, that is very much what takes place!) I know that this ship (and build) will only come alive when the final layer of planking is started, but until then ... it's a case of gritting the teeth! ROTF

I'm beginning to suspect that those pre-formed parts are rather deceiving and that, while being helpful to some extent, they still don't make an easy build.
Eagerly awaiting your next updates.
This is a very observant and accurate observation, Johan. See Modelship Dockyard's own grading of the kit below:

Cover.pngExpert.png

The resin parts are certainly helpful with regards to achieving an accurate hull shape, and gunport positioning and -angling. However, this also means that there is very little (if any) room for error. If you have messed up somewhere, it will show when it comes to overall fitment of parts (e.g. joints, gaps, lengths, etc.)

The shape of the hull is now there Heinrich, sofar it's looking great, and what @RDN1954 just said i have also the same feeling, that this ship is not getting any easyer to build with all those pre-formed parts
I agree 100%, Peter. The shape of the hull is now clearly visible, and I must say; I like the overall look of the ship. It's still a bit strange to me not to have a high build-up at the stern, but I suppose I will get used to it. When viewed side by side with the WB, it makes for a fascinating comparison. The Pandora looks as if it has by far the sleeker hull of the two and one would expect her to be a better sailing ship than the WB. However, according to McKay in Anatomy of the Pandora, she wasn't a great performer - ballast had to be added to make her stable and top speed was around the 5-knot mark. In contrast, the WB (which was roughly 200 years older and much smaller) was described as a great performer, with a top speed of approximately 8 knots!ROTF

This is a very observant and accurate observation, Johan. See Modelship Dockyard's own grading of the kit below:

View attachment 436764View attachment 436765

The resin parts are certainly helpful with regards to achieving an accurate hull shape, and gunport positioning and -angling. However, this also means that there is very little (if any) room for error. If you have messed up somewhere, it will show when it comes to overall fitment of parts (e.g. joints, gaps, lengths, etc.)
Expert series: and there it is...

Looking great Heinrich, it looks a great kit and I can see you are enjoying it.
Is there any issue with adhesion between wood and resin ? Are you using super glue? Might be a bit different but I ended up mostly using 2pk epoxy, (horrible stuff), between wood and styrene and white metal.

Cheers JJ..

Looking great Heinrich, it looks a great kit and I can see you are enjoying it.
Is there any issue with adhesion between wood and resin ? Are you using super glue? Might be a bit different but I ended up mostly using 2pk epoxy, (horrible stuff), between wood and styrene and white metal.

Cheers JJ..
Hi Jack. The kit does look like it's going together well (so far) and what surprises me is how good the instructions have been so far. It is written in good English, and the illustrations have been clear and easy to follow. For now, I am using 401 - a Chinese CA glue which works very well (I still don't like the stuff, though!) For the serious planking (the wales and below the wales) I am considering using a CA glue/gel/epoxy which gives me a little wiggle room before it sets completely. Here, I will have to see though what is available in China.

Back