HMS PANDORA 1:72 - Modelship Dockyard

Maybe it would be easier to use PVA and glue only to wooden structural elements, fortunately there are many of them. But the result has been achieved, and that’s the main thing.
Valdimir, I did use PVA on the wooden parts, but the problem is that the deck slopes downward from the middle section to the sides, so you need to have a secure adhesion of the deck to the little platforms that form part of the resin ribs' bases and for that there is no other option but to use CA glue.

Thank you for that advice, Don. Even though the problem area is localized, I will have to remove the whole deck half to resolve the issue. Ultimately, it is just going to be too much of a risk to do that. I will adjust the inner planking accordingly.

Dear Friends

Tonight is the first night in my model building "career" that I am disheartened. Sure, I've had days where nothing works (many, many times) and I have started eyeing the dustbin (the first sampan build ended up in the garbage can), but even then, there was never any doubt in my mind that I would eventually succeed. However, tonight is just different and not in a good way. I don't know if the pressure of work is getting to me (which constantly results in me being in a fight against time), or if the build is too difficult for me, or if it is just a type of build that I am not suited to.

I am busy with the inner planking of the bulwarks, and it is an unmitigated mess. The joints are messy (NOT THE KIT'S FAULT - it's all my own doing), there are CA glue stains everywhere and the height of the planking extends into the gunport openings where it was supposed to be level with the bottom edge of the gunports. And the worst is that I have no clue as to where I went wrong. If I compare this effort to the inner planking of the WB - done in oak (which is notoriously difficult to work with and done without any aids, like sanding lines, pre-cut planks, accurate laser-cut scarph joints and the like) - it is cringeworthy to say the least. And again ... I have to stress that the KIT IS SUPERB ... it's all my own fault.

And to think that I considered the Fluyt as a next build ...

carpenter-cartoon-1.png

I do apologise for the nature of this post, but I just needed to vent, I suppose.

I feel your pain, Heinrich. Discouragement has been part of my journey as well. In a few days you will be able to return and find a way forward - at least that has been my experience.
I hope so, my friend, I really hope so. Thank you for the kind ear and encouragement.

:( This are not good news. If you do not have problems with the kit, I would not start a new build. I am sure, that you will have there the same problems.
Take your time, make a (longer) break and than go back to your build.

Hey Heinrich ,
Hang in there .
please upload some e photos of your mess and ca glue.
With other builders POV maybe a good solution for the problem can be found.
Cheer up
Guy

So sorry to hear this Heinrich, but discouragement, looms with al of us just around the corner, take a coffee, while stepping a bit back, and in a few hours or days you wil find the solution
My dear friend, this is exactly what I am going to do. I think I know the "solution" - the question is if a redo will yield any better results. :(

:( This are not good news. If you do not have problems with the kit, I would not start a new build. I am sure, that you will have there the same problems.
Take your time, make a (longer) break and than go back to your build.
Hi Christian. The idea is not to start a new build. I would like to build the Kolderstok Fluyt in the future, which is probably the most challenging kit build available. I was merely pointing out that if I am struggling with Pandora, I should not even be thinking about the Fluyt. The challenge of the Fluyt is building the hull; the challenge of the Pandora is the combination of resin parts and CA glue. I do agree with you that a break is required to see things in perspective.

In the few years I have been on this site you have always supported and encouraged modellers not only as they show their successes but also their perceived failures. You have helped so many stay on track, revisit the part or parts of their distress and advised them on how to overcome many problems and errors.

I imagine there are countless builders who do not show nor admit to their errors and dare any builder to say he/she has built a model where every single part fitted successfully first time. I therefore think it admirable that you can be open enough to admit that a difficult part of your own build can be just as frustrating to a proficient and experienced modeller such as yourself. So my friend stand back, mentally revisit and admire what you have so far achieved, then take stock of how you can fix the recent problem without taking any drastic action. After all how would you advise a modeller in a similar situation? I know for sure it would not be the trash can.

Hey Heinrich ,
Hang in there .
please upload some e photos of your mess and ca glue.
With other builders POV maybe a good solution for the problem can be found.
Cheer up
Guy
Hi Guy. I will certainly upload photographs - I just want to finish the first two rows of inner planking on the starboard side so that I can show you more clearly what I mean. :)

There are chemicals that dsolves the CA ,remove all the planks carefully (and never use CA on planking again) and order a new set of planks from MD.
Hi Zoly. I can remove the planks with Acetone, but CA (in whatever form - epoxy, paste, gel, etc.) has to be used on those segments of the planking that have to be glued to the resin parts. There is no other way around that. Please see below.

Untitled2.png
All the blue sections indicate resin parts. you can see that there is a substantial amount of wooden planking that needs to be glued to the resin parts. PVA is not going to do that. And this just shows the inner planking, then there is still the outer hull planking over all the resin parts.

Back