HMS PANDORA 1:72 - Modelship Dockyard

There are some truly talented people around, Grant! Don't be depressed, your Xebec (and Victory) are gems too. I will hold thumbs for Mr. Binder. By the way, you and I never even got to gloat about Back-to-Back, World Cup-winning Springboks! ROTF
Good morning Heinrich. True story, never too late though to remind everyone that The Springboks are world champions…!!!! :D

A very big welcome
I am very late to join the party but now I have found your build log I will follow along. And many thanks for showing the Pandora by Gémes Atilla. That model shows an unsurpassed level of dedication and craftsmanship.
A very big welcome, Herman. I am glad that you are here! Gémes Atilla's build is the very best of the best!

Dear Friends

Just a quick update: The starboard side has been closed up.

Starboard.jpg

A few strakes to go on the Port Side

微信图片_20240312221212.jpg

No sanding has been done yet. Dry fitting the resin pieces show that the planking lines up very well, so no problem there. By this weekend I should be able to start sanding the hull and glue the filler pieces to the bow and the stern.

Dear Friends

View attachment 434562

View attachment 434563

No sanding has been done yet. Dry fitting the resin pieces show that the planking lines up very well, so no problem there. By this weekend I should be able to start sanding the hull and glue the filler pieces to the bow and the stern.
Looking, great, you are working fast.

Thank you, Richie. The hull is relatively straightforward to plank - however towards the stern and bow, the strakes have a sharper sweep than meets the eye. A few inserts and dropped planks were required to pull the planking line straight.

Dear Friends

View attachment 434562

View attachment 434563

Always nice to see her lines coming in view by adding planks. A nice base, Heinrich.
Regards, Peter

She looks right & tight Heinrich. Moving along quite fast. It does give one pause at first look without the end pieces in place.
What are the dimensions of the first and second layer planking strips?

Great planking my friend, i am looking forward to your second planking
Thank you, my friend! It's not my best planking, (that still belongs to WB1), but it will do. I believe the ship will stand or fall by the second planking. That is going to require a lot of patience and precision work.

Always nice to see her lines coming in view by adding planks. A nice base, Heinrich.
Regards, Peter
Spot on, Peter. All I was looking for was a nice, smooth and accurate base for the second planking. The double planking is also a new thing to me - all my ships so far (with the exception of the Falkonet Leudo) were single-layer planking.

She looks right & tight Heinrich. Moving along quite fast. It does give one pause at first look without the end pieces in place.
What are the dimensions of the first and second layer planking strips?
Hello Ron. The first layer is 4mm wide, 1mm thick. The second layer is also 1mm thick, but to tell you the truth, I have no idea what the widths are. It's tricky to determine as there is a lot of variation with all the scarph joints. Also, I have not yet opened the package which contains the second-layer planking parts, so I owe you an answer on that one.

See illustration below:

Untitled.png

If the pieces are indeed "randomly distributed", it will be a special job to find and to identify them.
absolutely, Vladimir. As I have said earlier, I have not yet opened the package with the final-layer planking, so, to be honest, I don't know the exact configuration yet. I suppose it's all on the road to discovery! ROTF

Looks great so far Heinrich. Keeping those butt joints lined up would be a challenge for me, I think.
Those joints are already giving me sleepless nights, my friend. I know one should always read and look ahead, but I fear one might become a bit overwhelmed if you did it in this case. So, for now, I am following the principle of walking to Beijing by first placing one foot in front of the other!

Back