Never saw that before you build itQuestion-Mark
Or you can build your own jig.

Check here

Or you can build your own jig.

Check here

Hi Charles,
I bought the building slip from Hobbyzone after I read about it

Vince

I purchased the smaller version about 3 years ago from eBay. I ordered the large one from over the Big Pond. Paid with Pay-Pal and was instructed by e-mail was ready for ship. A couple a weeks went by and had not heard from after the last e-mail. I again e-mailed and was told the item had not been shipped, I still owed for it. I contacted Pay-Pal and got the verification of payment, the dealer had excepted and funds removed from account. I again contacted the dealer and was told I owed additional funds? I then instructed the dealer since he was not correct in this regard, to refund ASAP before I filed a complaint w/CC/Pay-Pal. After another week, the funds were refunded. I will build my own. Anyhoo, I am enjoying your masterful old school construction of this most wonderful kit.
I am in no way criticizing ordering from anyone, but before you do, know what the dealer requires. I believe it was a honest mistake. I have ordered many times w/o issue from EU.
Rick

This little plank bender I bought years ago from MicroMark is one of the best tools ever. You can bend wood up to 3mm thick. The wood can be dry and cold. You just adjust the rollers to accommodate the thickness and the amount of arc you need. Just crank the handle. I have planked an entire ship with this.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0043.jpgpict0044.jpg

Started the first layer of planking. It is very slow going. Because of the large number of bulkheads, many have to be adjusted along the way to keep the flow of the planking as smooth as possible. There are still ripples that show and those will have to be corrected after the entire hull is planked and before the second layer is applied.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0045.jpgpict0047.jpgpict0046.jpg

This little plank bender I bought years ago from MicroMark is one of the best tools ever. You can bend wood up to 3mm thick. The wood can be dry and cold. You just adjust the rollers to accommodate the thickness and the amount of arc you need. Just crank the handle. I have planked an entire ship with this.

Vince P. Ship-1

View attachment 112610View attachment 112611
Nice,I will look up that plank bender if they still sell it

Sheathing will be single? If yes, why glue exactly horizontally? Need to glue on the bend of the main deck. You need to start with velhouts.

Sheathing will be single? If yes, why glue exactly horizontally? Need to glue on the bend of the main deck. You need to start with velhouts.
Hi Mr. Deep,
Planking will be in 2 layers. First layer is to cover the hull and does almost follow the main deck lines. The second layer will follow the correct lines of the decks and will flow with the lower gun ports which follow the decks exactly.

Vince P. Ship-1

Therefore, he asked. The first casing should be laid down freely. Let the slats themselves lay down as needed, without tension. You do not need to bend them forcibly.

Therefore, he asked. The first casing should be laid down freely. Let the slats themselves lay down as needed, without tension. You do not need to bend them forcibly.
This is not my first build. I have planked at least 6 complex hulls over the years. Forceful bending is only needed at the very ends where the hull takes sharp turns. The wood is 1mm thick walnut and will not allow those curves without some pre-bending. The rest can be done without any pressure. On the second layer it will be done with 0.5mm thick lumber and will not need any pre-bending.

Thanks,
Vince P. Ship-1

Hi Mr. Deep,
Planking will be in 2 layers. First layer is to cover the hull and does almost follow the main deck lines. The second layer will follow the correct lines of the decks and will flow with the lower gun ports which follow the decks exactly.

Vince P. Ship-1
Hi Vince,

Just an addition, the planks follow the wales which is slightly more curved then the deck line.
large_1895_0056__0001_.jpg

This is not my first build. I have planked at least 6 complex hulls over the years. Forceful bending is only needed at the very ends where the hull takes sharp turns. The wood is 1mm thick walnut and will not allow those curves without some pre-bending. The rest can be done without any pressure. On the second layer it will be done with 0.5mm thick lumber and will not need any pre-bending.

Thanks,
Vince P. Ship-1
On the contrary, you will have to bend the second skin very much. It will be necessary to bend it on the edge. And the thickness of 0.5 will not be enough. Better to cut the rails 1 mm each. The rails should be narrowed in the bow and stern. Then there will be no lost belts.in 1 photo how not to do.
DSCF4053.jpgpost-20418809-0-88434400-1415189746.jpgHMS Victory 156.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mate,
Yes, there is more coming. Planking a hull this size takes a lot of time. As soon as I have considerable progress I will make more posts. I am only about half way through the first layer of planks.
Hello Vinc, As you know, we are all starving for an updates from any build logs. You can show us in-between process as well. Some of us, never plank the hull before and your build log will get them familiar. Not to mention, they may have some question to you. "Show and tell" makes build logs invaluable ;) I hope you don't' mind and we are looking forward to hear from you soon.

Hi Mate,
Yes, there is more coming. Planking a hull this size takes a lot of time. As soon as I have considerable progress I will make more posts. I am only about half way through the first layer of planks.

Vinc P. Ship-1
Also small progress is progress we are interested in - so when ever you have time, we are happy to see your work

Back