HMS Revenge 1577 by Amati , Victory Models

Kurt...thats very kind but I am glad you cant inspect close up. I must say this is easily the best kit I have had....Tanganyika planking excepted, the materials are all excellent, instructions best ever for me, and a really interesting ship to build. They had learned enough after the Mary Rose period some 70 years earlier to make a much more sophisticated ship but had not yet got the that 18th century square rigged standarad that personally I find a bit monotonous. You will really enjoy it.

Finished the bulkhead installation and the forward side panels...and one aft side panel. I wanted some of this type of clamp for ages but could never find any except at very high cost from artisan woodwork suppliers. These are new from Amati and inexpensive. My experience only, but they just did not work out of the box...completely useless because the brass rail was so smooth the jaws would not bind on it when angled for a grip. I ended up scratching the rails up with sandpaper and then a diamond file and now they work just fine. You get two small ( span 11cm) and one large (span 14cm) in a pack.

20240419_102428.jpg

20240419_102416.jpg

20240419_102405.jpg

20240419_102447.jpg

I've used tanganyika wood on two ship model's decks, never thinking the color was inappropriate. In your opinion, what color should the deck be?

This is Tanganyika...looks okay to me.
View attachment 430699
Hi Kurt ...sorry I missed this post before. I dont have a problem with the colour of the tanganyika it is just that it splinters and is very brittle. In any case who knows what colour the deck would have been..? Yours looks very good.

Back