HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

Finally some time in the workshop after a lot of weekends working in the garden.
It will be a lot of repetative work as I started on the SB railing.
20200924_202042.jpg
20200925_151015.jpg
20200927_124612.jpg
The railing is colored with black ecoline ink and when finished sealed with oil. Below before and after oil finishing.
20200927_161146.jpg
20200927_163209.jpg
As an in between I also prepared all eye bolts and rings for the fore castle deck.
20200927_153829.jpg
20200927_163331.jpg

Secondly I tested an idea for the scuppers. these were fitted with sailcloth sleeves which work as a non return valve. When sea water is reaching the scupper from outside the sleeve is then closing avoiding water to some onto the deck. From pieces of silk cloth which I shaped around a needle file and glued with CA I made this.
20200927_165253.jpg
20200927_165325.jpg
20200927_165304.jpg
I still have to colour them with a wash of Stockholm tar with turpentine but that I still have to test.

Last edited:
If I were rich, I would offer you stupid money for that ship in hopes of getting it from you...lol. That is a ship model anyone would be proud to display!
Hi Dean, thx for your comments. Actually you don't need to be rich, it is just a kit. I would recommend you to start this build yourselve. It is a lot of fun and it is a great kit which will build into a fantastic model, also when you build the default kit.

Hi Dean, thx for your comments. Actually you don't need to be rich, it is just a kit. I would recommend you to start this build yourselve. It is a lot of fun and it is a great kit which will build into a fantastic model, also when you build the default kit.
You have convinced me it is a ship worth building. There are so many I want to build...chosing the next one is hard! I have the Cazador Xebec by OcCre on the way. Ordered this weekend. But beyond that it’s a hard decision. Either this ship or the San Felipe are equally beautiful ships. Hopefully I will build both in the future.

Last edited:
Once more beautiful work my friend......
I never saw such a cloth "valve" on a model or on other models - from where did you get the information about this detail?
A really very interesting detail.....
Hi Uwe,
On 17th century Dutch ships it is installed and I thought it is a nice detail. On English ships it is also installed check Richard Ensdors work on Lenox.

See below this detail on Batavia. It is done to avoid water on lower decks coming in via the scuppers.
1280px-De_BATAVIA_voor_de_film_onderweg_als_de_NIEUW_HOORN_(01).jpgScreenshot_20201001-201618_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Next to my current HMS Alert build I am still working on my RC in the background.
Currently some testing on tarring ropes with actual Stockholmer tar, the product that was originally used to tar the ropes, but also the hull of ships.
I had already tested some solid stockholmer tar but one of the issues it is nearly impossible to dillute it with turpentine to get a lower consistency. After a little more searching I found horse hoof tar which is available in a spray can. This is diluted stockholmer tar which can be sprayed onto the rope.
20201109_170812.jpg

To have minimum loss I sprayed it into a small container and submerged a clear hemp colour test rope into it.
After submerging for 1 night this real tarred rope is the result.
20201109_170826.jpg

Followed by a few hours drying this is the end result.
20201110_122829.jpg

For complete ropes submerging works the best, smaller parts of rope can easily be treated with a small paint brush.

Thats a great idea Maarten. It looks very realistic.
It even smells realistic :).
Your workshop smells like an 17th or 18t century shipyard afterwards.
I think this is the way I will go for my RC. Only think I have to put the model in my office untill the smell is reduced before moving her to the livingroom. :cool:

Am also working on the sails, but come back on that later.

Dear Maarten. That rope looks absolutely fantastic! The realism that you strive for (and achieve!) is exceptional. I have also been intrigued by this ship as well, your build has elevated it to different realms and very shortly I will also be able to offer this kit to our forum members - poetic justice!

Back