HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

Hi to all the amazing model ship builders out there. I am following this great build a long time and also try my best to build the Royal caroline but out of the box, because i am not at your level. I read Gregs message that you (he) was translating the Chineese manual and part lists. Trying to reach Greg (pedigreg) in Australia directly but did not get any response. I am very interested in that English translations. Can anyone help me an provide this pdf s or send me a direct contact of Greg to ask him personally. Thank you very much an sorry for this question interrupt your interesting descussion. Regards Peter

sorry for my wrong name of course „Peglegreg“ is correct. ( autocorrection is now off)

Hi Peter,

Good to see another Royal Caroline and very nice you also do the rear cabin conversion, so you are not just building out of the box.

Would be great if you would start your own build log, I will be the first one following you.

My RC is temporary in a build stop as I am working on HMS Alert now.

Yes, i use this since i damaged the keel on my last build (Sovereign o. t. seas by deAgostini). Works really well. First i applyed the foam on a wooden board, then i covered the ship hull with a plastic sack or foil and press it in the foam and wait..... When the foam has expanded and dried out, the ship has a perfect hold.

Hi to all the amazing model ship builders out there. I am following this great build a long time and also try my best to build the Royal caroline but out of the box, because i am not at your level. I read Gregs message that you (he) was translating the Chineese manual and part lists. Trying to reach Greg (pedigreg) in Australia directly but did not get any response. I am very interested in that English translations. Can anyone help me an provide this pdf s or send me a direct contact of Greg to ask him personally. Thank you very much an sorry for this question interrupt your interesting descussion. Regards Peter
Hello Mate,
Send me your email address & I can help you out.
Best wishes--Rick

Last week I had some time to spent on my build so this week wil post some updates.
After the bellfry I started on the PS railing, made of pear and colored with black ecoline ink finished with oil.
View attachment 161377
View attachment 161379
After the flat railing pieces are fitted all the curved railing pieces are added and sanded and filed to fit perfectly.
View attachment 161383
View attachment 161381
Then they are colored with ink and fitted in place.
After the glue is dry I file and sand the in place to get a smooth fit ad finish.
View attachment 161382
The original the top is again colored with ink followed by a layer of oil to seal it, but first aditional parts to the railing are added. Some bollards to the forward railing.
As with a lot of parts in this kit these consist of two halves which are too thick, so again a lot of sanding needed. Left original right sanded to half diameter.
View attachment 161384
All glued together and I wil press these between two blocks of wood to let them dry. I added some paper to get an even pressure on all of them.
View attachment 161385
View attachment 161386
Plain wood color would be to boring so I colored the inside with black ecoline.
View attachment 161387
As the glue is drying I worked on the chain wale.
In the kit it is a flat lasered part of pear wood. I tapered it.
View attachment 161391
View attachment 161393
In the mean time the glue was dry and all the bollarts are finished.
Next is the cat head (penterbalk in Dutch), this beam was used to move the anchor to the chain wale for storage. In the model two are supplied but as far as I know only one was on board which could be used on the SB or PS side. So I use only one.
It is fitted in a clamp on the railing and at its end in a iron ring on deck.
View attachment 161394
View attachment 161395
To move the beam ropes were fitted on the side with knots for grip.
View attachment 161405
At last I added the iron ribbons around it.
View attachment 161406
Next time the lower railing.
PERFECT Fish Davit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All, I am a brand spanking new member, and I am trying to find a/the English Translation for the 1/30
Royal Caroline, Max at ZHL has been of no assistance. I am willing to pay Greg Chard the required figure to get the correct English Instructions, some of us Aussies have trouble understanding Chinese.
Kind Regards
Bully

Hi All, I am a brand spanking new member, and I am trying to find a/the English Translation for the 1/30
Royal Caroline, Max at ZHL has been of no assistance. I am willing to pay Greg Chard the required figure to get the correct English Instructions, some of us Aussies have trouble understanding Chinese.
Kind Regards
Bully
Hello Bully,
Send me your email address & I can help you out my Friend!!!

As my Alert model nearing its completion towards the end of this year I will be restarting my RC build soon. First I will finish the hull and then on to masts and rigging.
Mast and rigging will be a simultaneous project with my upcomming fluyt scratch build.

But good news for my Royal Caroline, I felt sorry for her after Paul @dockattner pointed out she was abandoned :).
So to make it up I invested in a booming start with some fantastic gun barrels from Kris @SZKUTNIK

Kris made me some fine scale barrels which are much better then the not in scale kit supplied brass barrels.

The kit barrel which is a 17th century bronze style Dutch or French gun barrel, very nice but not period correct.
20220802_092345 (002).jpg

The drawings from AotS book with Iron barrels with georgian logo s on top.
20220730_162609 (002).jpg

And the 3D printed barrels from Kris
Caroline gun barrels.jpg

I can just say WOW, thx Kris they look awesome looking forward to fitting them.

Dear Maarten. Nothing makes me happier than to read this. This is the definitive build on SOS by the definitive builder! I love this build so much that I can even ignore the fact she is English :). Just a few days ago, I obtained a quote from Xiuli of the RC for one of our SOS members. At 950 USD excluding shipping, I am even beginning to think it may be a bargain! ROTF

Dear Maarten. Nothing makes me happier than to read this. This is the definitive build on SOS by the definitive builder! I love this build so much that I can even ignore the fact she is English :). Just a few days ago, I obtained a quote from Xiuli of the RC for one of our SOS members. At 950 USD excluding shipping, I am even beginning to think it may be a bargain! ROTF
Haha, just be patient my friend.
Why not build it yourself, she has been sailing a lot to Holland to the port of Hellevoetsluis so maybe that helps you to accept this build. :)
The georgian royal family was German and frequently visiting family in Germany travelling with the Royal Caroline to Hellevoetsluis.

Haha, just be patient my friend.
Why not build it yourself, she has been sailing a lot to Holland to the port of Hellevoetsluis so maybe that helps you to accept this build. :)
The georgian royal family was German and frequently visiting family in Germany travelling with the Royal Caroline to Hellevoetsluis.
I would rather watch you build her, Maarten. She is way too big for my available space and the reality is that I will never be as devoted to another model as I am to the Willem Barentsz.

Back