HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

Hi Vic @yancovitch just a while more, have to finish my Alert :).
Btw love your new project of Soleil Royal.

But today I received a nice package from Chris @SZKUTNIK with my new gun barrels for my RC.

See below what a difference.
20220816_190314.jpg

I had to do some slight modifications to my gun carriage but am very happy with the result. Huge improvement compared with the period incorrect kit provided barrels.
20220816_192302.jpg
20220816_192312.jpg

I still have tobpaint the gun barrels and finetune the carriage but that is for later.

See below dry fitting on board.
20220816_192548.jpg
20220816_192746.jpg
20220816_192752.jpg

Totally happy with these Chris saved me hours of work to make my own on the lathe.

Looking really good.
Nevertheless I think, that the carriages are too small for the new muzzles - looking slightly oversized or better undersized
Especially looking from the top view the muzzle has not enough free space

Looking really good.
Nevertheless I think, that the carriages are too small for the new muzzles - looking slightly oversized or better undersized
Especially looking from the top view the muzzle has not enough free space
Hi Uwe,

Agree with you, this carriage I already build but think I will modify them to fit the barrel better.

Finally it is time to fit the carvings to the stern. This to protect my very delicate glass windows.
View attachment 42612
First I glued in the top part followed by the lower part. The lower part is rather thick so you really need to shape it correctly before fitting so it nicely follows the shape of the rounded stern. I did this with lots of steam and a soldering iron, ofcourse this all before I waxed and polished them with bees wax.
View attachment 42613I glue with Uhu hart a clear glue for modelling. To tighten everything I used next to a lot of clamps two pieces of solid copper electricity wire which I wrapped around and put to tension by twisting the wires ends.
View attachment 42614

Next step is the lantern. In the lantern I build a large candle with a candlelight mini LED.
View attachment 42615
The red coated copper wires are the arms of the lantern and directly the wiring to the LED. These I shaped to fit within the lantern. As a candle simulation I used white heat shrink.
View attachment 42617
The lower arm of the lantern I pre shaped and I drilled a hole in the base of the lantern to solder it in.
View attachment 42618

In the lantern I fitted clear plastic glass for the windows before glueing it together with hot melt glue. In the top of the lantern I drilled out the holes in the small chimney
View attachment 42619
The arms of the lantern are painted matt black, the rest will remain gold.
View attachment 42620

Now it is time for the top roll on top of the carvings. This one I also shaped with steam and a soldering iron.
View attachment 42621View attachment 42622before glueing it I painted it black and glued and clamped it in place.

This is the end result.
View attachment 42623View attachment 42624View attachment 42625View attachment 42626
Nice touch with the Silver Armor Helmet Maarten!!!!

Hi John,

I think one or rwo months more before I really start again with the RC.
Hopefully you also?
G'day Maarten, yes I will have to get back to her and get her finished, and I've also got the RC Boxwood version that I got off Greg, too much to do and not enough time,
Best regards John,

I am working on a small stand for my RC. I build this as she will join me to a meeting coming Sunday and should be on a rigid stand.
Always like those dock type of stands so that is what I made.
From some solid oak planks I still had from building our kitschen I made a stand.
20220914_185757.jpg

First I made a cross of two sizes of strips and with the table saw I made a half lap joint.
20220914_191035.jpg

The keel of the ship will be resting on small oak blocks made from rest material sawn into strips.
20220914_201459.jpg

In the blocks I milled a sparing for some additional side support of the ships keel.
20220914_211955.jpg

The blocks are glued to the stand with PVA along a strip to give some guidence while positioning them using a spacer to keep them all at the same distance.
20220914_215128.jpg

The ship will be kept straight up by two supporting brass tubes supporting under the wales, but that will be a job for tomorrow.
20220914_221055.jpg

Very nice barrels and a very nice stand in the making Maarten.

Looking at the carriages, not only are they cheeks too snug to the barrel, the taper between them is too shallow.I feel this needs altering to suit the more pronounced taper of the new barrels.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Very nice barrels and a very nice stand in the making Maarten.

Looking at the carriages, not only are they cheeks too snug to the barrel, the taper between them is too shallow.I feel this needs altering to suit the more pronounced taper of the new barrels.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

Thx for your input.
Yes I need to change the carriages, luckely I just build one. Also the sides I need to shorten on the aft side.
I have to alter this one and the new ones will be build according the AotS book.

Hi Pter, great seeing you tomorrow.

The stand is now finished for the show allthough still some lacquering is needed and the name badge, but that is for later.

To keep the ship horizontal I made two studs of brass which support the wales from below and fitted with some small brass screws.
20220917_123227.jpg

Fitted them to the base plate.
20220917_132541.jpg
20220917_132546.jpg

Dry fitting the ship. The ship will be attached to the base with some large screws into the keel.
20220917_134512.jpg
20220917_134525.jpg
20220917_134609.jpg

And the brass support studs.
20220917_134620.jpg

What an absolute beauty! I would love to hear what Piet and Hermann (the latter from Belgium) have to say about this RC!

Back