HMS Royal William 1719 1:55 by OlegM

The last photo is looking a little bit like a modern acrchitecture sky scraper building - are you planning to fill all the gaps between the bulkheads, or only in the bow and stern area?
Very good progress btw

I still scratch my head wondering how that massive ship stays upright? There has to be 6 or 7 decks. It’s like a floating apartment building.
It is a very interesting point you mention here! And sorry Oleg, that I jumped here in in your building log, but I am fascinated by this ship....

The HMS Royal William (1719) is very good documented with existing contemporary models and also drawings
d4062_1.jpg f5803_001.jpg

l2447_003.jpg

unusual, that there is also a drawing of a model existing:
j1790.jpg

In her 1719 configuration
j1789.jpg

and here you can see the internal structure with the decks
j1787.jpg

Now is coming the interesting fact, that the 100 gun Royal William was razeed to a 84 gun ship in 1755 with cutting down to her upper deck.
And you should know, that in this period from 1719 until her rebuild in 1755 she was not in service. So it seems, that she had really some problems with her handling.

BTW: Original the ship was based on the HMS Prince from 1670 and already rebuild between 1715 and 1719 - so this ship was really a very old Lady - serving from 1670 until 1813 when she was broken up. So all together 143 years !!!!

j1786.jpg
as razeed

BTW: Oleg - great work on the fairing the hull - you reached a good shape - smooth and well prepared for the planking.
How did you control the shape of the hull during this power tool work?
And another question: What is the actual weight of the ships hull? I guess you have already between 15 and 20 kg?

I don't think there was any floating problems, she doesn't look much different from other first rates, not like Vasa :) on the opposite, the construction of these ships (RW, Britannia and Royal Sovereign 1701) was found so successful that the whole Establishment 1719 was developed based on their dimensions.

The big size of the model allows the use of such a big power tool. The laser char on the bulkheads was my visual control. I also simply used my hands to check the smoothness and a wooden block with sandpaper glued to it as a final touch

The weight at this point was 9kg exact, not 20 but still pretty difficult to move it here and there. I think a third of it will go away with the removal of all temporary plywood

Hello Oleg,
I am not really a fan of POB ships but I must confess that I like how are you are tackling your build. What I truly love is your little Pin Up Girl.

Raymond

Back