HMS Royal William 1719 1:55 by OlegM

Олег. Напишу по русски. Наблюдаю за вашей постройкой и на Верфи. Спрошу здесь. Доски обшивки какой ширины, и на сколько зауживали? В корму заужали, или только в нос? С какого пояса начали зауживать, сразу от бархоута? И ещё один вопрос, расстояние между бархоутами по всей длине корпуса одинаково?

Приветствую! Ширину досок выбирал исходя из музейной модели: считал на ней количество поясьев и делил на него ширину поверхности. В подводной части рейки вышли 7мм шириной, по мне - это многовато даже для моего периода - 15 дюймов в пересчете, не уверен, что такой ширины доски действительно использовали, так что вопрос это дискутируемый. В надводной части рейки поуже - от 4 до 6 мм. Все сегменты между бархоутами переменной ширины вдоль поверхности, так что все поясья подгоняются по месту без исключения. В подводной части все рейки заужаются к форштевню и от 7мм на миделе приходят где-то к 4.7мм у форштевня. В сторону ахтерштевня они тоже заужаются, а затем после места минимальной ширины опять расширяются и становятся у ахтерштевня чуть больше 7 мм шириной. У меня был выбор - вставить потеряи или сделать как на музейной без потеряев, использовав пару реек большей ширины, я выбрал вариант как на музейной без потеряев.

Greetings! I was choosing the width of the strakes based on the museum model: I counted the number of strakes on it and divided the width of the surface by it. In the underwater part, the palnks came out 7mm wide, for me - this is a bit too much even for my period - 15 inches in real world, I'm not sure wether such wide boards were really used, so this is a debated question. In the above-the-water part of the hull they are narrower - from 4 to 6 mm. All the segments between the whales are of variable width along the surface, so that all planks should be locally fit in place without exception. In the underwater part, all the planks taper towards the stem from 7mm midships to around 4.7mm at the stem. Towards the sternpost, they also narrow, and then, after the place of minimum width, they expand again and become slightly more than 7 mm wide at the sternpost. I had a choice - to insert a lost strakes or make it like on the museum model without them, using a couple of wider planks, I chose the option as on the museum model without lost strakes.

Very good - accurate and clean symetrical work - VERY well done my friend !!!

Hard to believe you managed to plank rather big hull in no time. Great looking. Did you cut planks by hand or using router?

Thank you everyone!

Hard to believe you managed to plank rather big hull in no time. Great looking. Did you cut planks by hand or using router?
I can't say that it was in no time, the complete external planking took me 2 months. As for the planks, I order them from my supplier based on my dimensions

So you are already well prepared for the nailing and treenailing of your hull - very good Thumbsup

Did you check the pencil marks at the bow? I have the feeling, that they reach with the same width / distance the keel similar at midships.
But this can be also easily the "wrong" persepctive with not looking not upright to the keel axis

IMG_20210206_093742.jpg

Often at the bow the framing was completely different, so that often the nailing lines are getting closer to each other nearer to the keel

This is the drawing, but it is representing the framing of the contemporary model

j1790.jpg j1790a.jpg

Other (more modern) ships
j1856.jpg

j6335.jpg

l2629_001.jpg

These examples only to show what I mean - only to be sure, that the pencil marks are correct - often some mistakes happen at this area with the nailing

Well there should be no cant frames on this ship, they were introduced later. So the last frame at the bow is the one where the beakhead bulkhead is built. The rest of the space is filled with hawsepieces. I'm assuming that on this ship they are constant width, like this:

199_text_image_2.jpg

I do not pretend to be 100% right, I'm not that much good in theory, but that's what I choose. In any case, on finished model, the nailing at this place is so dense, that it's hard to see any pattern

Back