HMS Royal William 1719 1:55 by OlegM

I make the main whale and the black strake in two layers because of their big thickness. First step - first layer of the black strake. Second step - first layer of the main whale. The photo from afore shows a small mismatch between port and starboard strakes which I corrected later

IMG_20201122_120708.jpgIMG_20201122_161716.jpgIMG_20201125_184951.jpgIMG_20201125_185018.jpgIMG_20201125_185032.jpgIMG_20201125_185050.jpgIMG_20201125_185102.jpgIMG_20201126_163924.jpg

WOW WOW WOW
Your anchorstock planking of the wales is looking great Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Lucky you, that you are able to design every single element in your computer and mill them already to the correct size - amazing

just discovered this....i am in total awe.....i built an r/c version of this ship, and although it looks great on the water.....i'm embarrassed about my mickey mouse build.....what a brilliant mind you have!!........i could never imagine doing that.......superb!!!

just discovered this....i am in total awe.....i built an r/c version of this ship, and although it looks great on the water.....i'm embarrassed about my mickey mouse build.....what a brilliant mind you have!!........i could never imagine doing that.......superb!!!

Hi there, thanks I saw your model too - so unique to see a floating model of such a ship and of such size !!

WOW WOW WOW
Your anchorstock planking of the wales is looking great Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Lucky you, that you are able to design every single element in your computer and mill them already to the correct size - amazing

Yeah... for me this was actually the only way I could cope with a scratch build ))

Last edited:
you are very fast - very good progress !
One question:
we can see at the grain of the single planks, that you are not using strips but cut out the planks from a sheet.
IMG_20201214_084503.jpg
Is it possible to explain (and/or show, how do define the curved form of the plank and bring this form on the timber sheet?

you are very fast - very good progress !
One question:
we can see at the grain of the single planks, that you are not using strips but cut out the planks from a sheet.
View attachment 219635
Is it possible to explain (and/or show, how do define the curved form of the plank and bring this form on the timber sheet?

No, I use planks, I taper them and bend accordingly to local geometry
As for the direction of the grain, well it's not me who makes the planks, I don't have a circular saw neither a thickness planer, I buy all the planks from my supplier as per my dimensions. Honestly I didn't even give attention to the direction

Олег. Напишу по русски. Наблюдаю за вашей постройкой и на Верфи. Спрошу здесь. Доски обшивки какой ширины, и на сколько зауживали? В корму заужали, или только в нос? С какого пояса начали зауживать, сразу от бархоута? И ещё один вопрос, расстояние между бархоутами по всей длине корпуса одинаково?

Back