HMS Serapis - Scratch Build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Moved the workshop to WY (2nd photo). In between trout fishing on the Green River, I managed reshape the stern, plank the exterior, and drill pilot holes for the cannons. I got some carving tools and pearwood, while visiting my daughter in CO so I did my first carving. Not perfectly symmetrical but as I add more decoration, I think these will blend in and work (1st photo).

Stern redo 11 Jun.jpg.Green River WY.jpg

Getting a little more experience with the carving tools and micro-files, as I tackled the stern cannon port surrounds. I used pearwood, which accepts the WATCO dark walnut stain nicely. Below picture show the raw oval and a completed surround. Once I get them mounted over the cannon ports, I'll post a picture of the finished product. My workshop is currently at a rally, in Idaho, with 54 other semi-trucks that tow big trailers (see picture 2).

Stern cannon carving.jpg
HDT Rally2 16 Jun 2021.jpg

First attempt at figures for the stern. Once I finish both of them, I'll post a picture of how the stern is coming along. First one took over 7 hours to complete. The plans show cute and innocent cherubs but mine turned out more like evil minotaur's. We'll see how they look, once mounted. Workshop relocated to the banks of the Columbia River on the border of Washington & Oregon (2nd pic).

Stern figurines.jpgBurbank WA Corps of Engineers campground.jpg

Stern modification coming along well. A few carvings and it is starting to pop. First picture is how she sits now. Second picture shows a montage of the modifications I had to make, as I was building off plans for Roebuck (lead ship of the class), when Uwek let me know plans of Serapis, as built, were now available. Carving tools and files I just recieved are working well, unfortunately, I'm finding out figures/bodies are harder to carve than flowers/fluer-de-lis!!
stern 29 Jun 2021.jpg

Stern montage.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the stern figure of The Greek-Egyptian Bey Serapis: Deity of the Sun and originally a god of the underworld. He is usually represented as a robed and bearded figure regally enthroned, his right hand resting on Cerberus(the three-headed dog who guards the gate of the underworld), while his left held an upraised scepter. Left photo is my attempt at carving him. Center is a photo pulled from the internet. Right photo is what he looks like on the Serapis plans. Bottom photo, shows him mounted on the stern.

Serapis montage.jpg
Stern 8 Jul 2021.jpg

Spent the last 10 days working on the HMS Serapis figurehead. Have it roughed in and fitted. From the time spent to get to this point, I think it will be another month till I get it to a point I'm satisfied. Thought I'd share where I'm at and look for encouragement, as it is going painstakingly slow!Figurehead Montage.jpg

It takes time when you look to the clock, but during carving the time flies.
Great work so far. The rough shape I find the most difficult part

Figurehead update and any advice? I think I've reached the limits of my tools (tiny needle files and micro chisel set). I tried dong hair on a test piece it doesn't look very good. (see bottom photo). The head hair currently looks like a bowl. Should I: 1) try using a thin pointed razor? 2) Leave it as is? 3) Keep on practicing with the tiny needle files?

Figurehead 28 Jul montage.jpg
Figurehead hair practice.jpg

The head hair currently looks like a bowl. Should I: 1) try using a thin pointed razor? 2) Leave it as is? 3) Keep on practicing with the tiny needle files?
Great job carving, I would definitely add hairs, but needle files are too big for a given job. I would try the needle bur, similar to this, with a very fine point.

1627564578033.png 1627564754858.png

...or the smalles 'ball' bur would be iven better, IMHO.

Great job carving, I would definitely add hairs, but needle files are too big for a given job. I would try the needle bur, similar to this, with a very fine point.

View attachment 246693 View attachment 246694

...or the smalles 'ball' bur would be iven better, IMHO.
Thanks for the tool examples. I'm ordering more tools to broaden my options!

ball cutter:

but these are useful to to do carving on a small scale, I used them to make the sheaves on the topsail yards. You gonna need a steady hand to do that. But it works to ad small details

Thanks Steff and Jimsky! I ordered some small rotary bits and they beat the needle files for sure!! I also just ordered some of the sanding balls Steff. I think I'm at 90% and should be finished next week. I love this forum and really appreciate everyone telling me to go for more detail and pushing my horizons/abilities! Once complete, he will add immensely to my build.

Figurehead 1 Aug.jpg

Thanks Steff and Jimsky! I ordered some small rotary bits and they beat the needle files for sure!! I also just ordered some of the sanding balls Steff. I think I'm at 90% and should be finished next week. I love this forum and really appreciate everyone telling me to go for more detail and pushing my horizons/abilities! Once complete, he will add immensely to my build.

View attachment 247736
Nice work. Try asking you dentist for used bits

Back