HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Today the carlings were begun. The starboard carlings were made as follows.

A line marking where center of the carlings will be installed was drawn along the tops of the beams earlier in this build. This long, slightly curved line helps keep all the carlings lined up nicely.
900 Center Carlings on This Line.jpg

File the first beam at 45 degrees making the width as wide as the strip of wood used for the carlings.
901 Bevel Beam at 45 Degrees.jpg

File the second beam, making a second, shallow bevel.
902 Bevel Beam at 45 Degrees.jpg

Take the 1x3mm strip and sand the end to 45 degrees
903 Sand Carling End to 45 Degree Bevel.jpg

The end of the strip will fit in the bevel, with the top of the carling flush with the top surface of the beams.
904 Place Beveled End on Beam.jpg

Lay the end of the strip in position and mark the length of the carling with a pencil.
905 Mark Carling Length.jpg

Chop the carling to length.
906 Chop Carling to Length.jpg

Bevel the opposite end of the carling.
907 Carling Ready to Install.jpg

Test fit. If the carling is not flush with the beams, sand one end a bit shorter until it fits perfectly.
908 Test Fit and Adjust Length by Sanding as Required.jpg

Apply PVA glue. I use Tightbond II Premium for all model work because it's strong.
909 Apply PVA Glue.jpg

Place the carling in place, and adjust its position so it lines up with the previous carling and the lines on the beams.
910 Place Carling in Position.jpg

Wipe off the excess glue. When dry, each piece adds strength to the deck structure until the entire support structure is surprisingly strong.
911 Wipe off Excess Glue.jpg

Starboard carlings are all installed. There are some carlings to install near the center of the deck, as well as the line of carlings on the port side to do. This shows you how much of scratch work in building is actually quite easy using basic techniques, and you don't have to be a master carver to add a lot of nice details to your model, although I am still very envious of Paul's miniature painting skills and Jano's carving skills. As a newer builder, I can still make a complex model in many regards as long as I do the proper planning and spend the time.
Starboard Carlings Installed.jpg

The carlings were completed on the port side, and carlings and more beam support pillars were installed near the centerline.

Pillars and longitudinal beams to frame a hatch opening were added as indicated by the arrows, as well as some carlings on the port side and near the centerline.
913 Pillars and Carlings Added.jpg

More support pillars were added as required to support beams near where guns will rest on the deck above. Some departures from McKay's deck layout were made with additional pillars added since there seemed to be inadequate support in these areas. The center hatch will be left open with gratings removed from the weather deck all the way down to the lower gun deck to allow a borescope camera to be able to reach and view all the furnished decks. Looking at this model will more than just staring at it from behind glass. After opening the display case you will be able to use a borescope to peer inside on an imaginary adventure of discovery.
914 Port Side Carlins and Pillars Added.jpg

Progress so far. More carlings from midships to the stern need to be installed, as well as some light beams near the stern. Then, installation of ledges will begin. A light spray of varnish evened out the color of the support structure completed so far, making it look a lot better.
915 Progress So Far.jpg

Last edited:
The light beams were installed in the stern area and the rest of the carlings completed near the centerline of the deck. 1/16"x1/16" basswood sticks were stained with walnut Danish Oil. These will be cut into ledges and glued one by one into the deck structure. A few of the ledges were glued in place.

Light beams in between the heavy beams are made from 1x4mm walnut.
916 Added Light Beams to Stern.jpg

All the carlings are finished.
917 All Carlings Finished.jpg

Staining basswood sticks.
918 Stain Basswood Sticks for Ledges.jpg

Installing ledges has begun.
919 Begin Cutting and Installing Ledges.jpg

The light beams were installed in the stern area and the rest of the carlings completed near the centerline of the deck. 1/16"x1/16" basswood sticks were stained with walnut Danish Oil. These will be cut into ledges and glued one by one into the deck structure. A few of the ledges were glued in place.

Light beams in between the heavy beams are made from 1x4mm walnut.
View attachment 313511

All the carlings are finished.
View attachment 313512

Staining basswood sticks.
View attachment 313513

Installing ledges has begun.
View attachment 313514
Love using Danish oil it definitely does the trick

Love using Danish oil it definitely does the trick
Yes. It takes cheap, soft, basswood and makes it look more like good hardwood. The grain is different than cherry, but for the purposes of internal detailing, it works for blending in the color of the ledges with the cherry wood beams. I wood have used cherry for the carlings, but I didn't have any 1x4mm sticks of it, and had walnut on hand. In the dark confines of the ship, you really can't tell the color difference.

The mast reinforcement sections of the upper deck structure were made and installed. Sticks of basswood were stained with walnut Danish Oil, then cut into sections with the razor chopper and glued together into one large piece which would fit between the beams and carlings. A hole in each reinforcement piece was drilled, then enlarged to size and location using a diamond burr on a Dremel rotary tool.

This was done in slow, careful cuts, using mast dowels inserted at the the correct mast angles. Each mast dowel is now supported at four locations, the step deep inside the hull, the hole on the lower gun deck, the hole in the middle gun deck, and now the hole in the upper gun deck structure. Lining up the holes takes careful cutting.

Each of these reinforcements will be covered by a thin plywood false deck and deck planks for the upper gun deck, so the best looking side of each of the pieces faces down because that is the only view of them which will be possible. Addition of more ledges is next.

Fore mast reinforcement.
921 Make Foremast Reinforcement.jpg

Main mast reinforcement.
922 Mainmast Reinforcement.jpg

Main mast reinforcement installed.
923 Mainmast Reinforcement Installed.jpg

Mizzen mast reinforcement.
924 Make Mizzen Mast Reinforcement.jpg

Adding more ledges. Each ledge is measured by laying the stick against a carling or the bulwark and marking the opposite end with a pencil. The ledge is then cut with the razor chopper and test fit. The ledge should be a press fit, and the softness of the basswood makes it easy to compress the stick into place. If the piece appears to be the proper interference fit, PVA is applied to each end, and that glue is dabbed onto the spots where it will be joined to wet them. Then one end is placed in position, with the ledge being held with a needle nosed pliers, and the other end is pressed into place with your fingertip. It gets faster as you do them. The PVA dried in about 20 minutes and the ledge is very secure. Each one strengthens the entire structure a bit more.

925 Added More Ledges.jpg

Last edited:
Thats going to be one stout deck support system. What's your opinion of your razor chopper? Does it give a good clean non compressed edge cut? Right now, I use a 4" tabletop model circular saw which is great but there is a sawdust mess to clean every time. It seems that chopper would be perfect at certain times.

Thats going to be one stout deck support system. What's your opinion of your razor chopper? Does it give a good clean non compressed edge cut? Right now, I use a 4" tabletop model circular saw which is great but there is a sawdust mess to clean every time. It seems that chopper would be perfect at certain times.
The razor chopper is a huge time saver. I usually sand parts to length, but often you can get them sized perfectly using the chopper. How you use it is important. Since the razor is mounted on the side of the lever, you should apply a little pressure to the side the blade is on to ensure a vertical, and not slightly diagonal cut. I was impressed how well and clean it cuts hardwood. The circular saw is useful for other cuts, like re-sawing timbers that have long cuts. For sizing sticks, the razor chopper is best. Plus, there is no mess.

I have a razor chopper as well and love it. The trick I have found to minimizing the amount of angle when cutting thicker stock is to slice slightly long (~0.5mm) and then shave off the excess to get the exact length I want. I've been using it to make the copper plates for my 1/96 scale Phantom (400+ identically-sized 1/4" x 1/8" pieces of copper foil), and it has really made an otherwise tedious task almost enjoyable.

Last edited:
Kurt the best part of your build to me is the desire to construct a real ship in miniature. Such work requires lots of dedication and footwork and the fact that the results are mostly unseen (apart from the borescope camera) is true testament to your resolve.

Kurt the best part of your build to me is the desire to construct a real ship in miniature. Such work requires lots of dedication and footwork and the fact that the results are mostly unseen (apart from the borescope camera) is true testament to your resolve.
Thanks Heinrich. Doing something different from other modelers makes it even more fun.

Back