HMS ST. Lawrence

Hi guys! I hope that you are all safe and well in these troubling times that we all are going through these days. I have recently returned to building again this time a cross-section of HMS St. Lawrence. I am working from pics and my own imagination of what she may have looked like.
I am using HMS victory for the basic shape minus the poop deck and forecastle decks of course. I will send in some pics shortly Cheers John.

Hi Johne WELCOME BACK, you and MIKE41 are catching up to me (82 THIS MONTH) we all age differentaly, have a lot of physical problems but I THANK JESUS for what I HAVE TODAY, go for it. Don

even though Kingston Naval yard was a royal English yard most of the shipwrights were French from Quebec. The shipwright who built the St Lawrence William Bell was Irish who worked in a French yard in Quebec and I think his brother John had a yard in Quebec.
could be why the framing of the St Lawrence was a French system of framing and not the standard English bends and filler system.
Please explain Dave what you mean by the French system of framing?

English built hulls first like this

frameshape1C.jpg

then they changed the system to something like this

frameshape sf.jpg

then I think they put a 1 inch space between the sistered frames

frameshape sf3.jpg

the French and Americans built frames this way which what the St Lawrence looks like.

frameshape2C.jpg

the French did not use cant frame so I heard but the English and americans did. I have to check if the 1812 ships built at Kingston used cant frame or not.

some thing to keep in mind is when the french built their frames they were all double frames like what Dave shows above and didn't not use cant frames or maybe better known as angle frames. They did have one angle frame which i believe was a aft frame which i believe was called a fashion frame. The English on the other hand built their frames as bends or double frames like the french but between the bend they put filling frames(single frames). The Filling frames and the double frames were still made up of the same parts like all frames were called floors and futtocks. The english when the built the bends they usually made up the side of the gun ports and had a rule that the bends was not to be cut in to. The french on the other hand had all bends and if they had to cut away part of the bend to install a gun port they just cut it out. Gary

Hi John

First, glad to hear you are in good health and planning to start building. I have just come across your post and find it fascinating, As someone who loves history and model ships, I can get lost in a topic like this. @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) Your attachment on the Silent St. Lawrence is one of the most exquisitely written pieces I have read in a long time. Do you possibly know where one can obtain a copy?

Kind regards - Heinrich

Hi John

First, glad to hear you are in good health and planning to start building. I have just come across your post and find it fascinating, As someone who loves history and model ships, I can get lost in a topic like this. @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) Your attachment on the Silent St. Lawrence is one of the most exquisitely written pieces I have read in a long time. Do you possibly know where one can obtain a copy?

Kind regards - Heinrich

I tried to up load a PDF but it was to big at 25 megs

this is a great book on the war ships of 1812

if you want to purchase the book go here

https://www.amazon.com/Wake-Eighteen-Twelvers-Frigates-Fore-n-Afters-1812-1815/dp/1163983381

wake of.JPG

you can also download a copy from here
wake off.JPG

@Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) Thank you for the info, Dave. Unfortunately, I can't connect from China to the download site and Amazon does not ship this particular item to China. :( Luckily. I have the article that you posted.

If anyone ever comes up with a kit or plans for this ship I am in!!! I would buy this kit or full plans in a heartbeat. @Heinrich , maybe your friends in China might be interested? Though perhaps too unusual for a model. @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) any interest in working on this? Perhaps a great model for a group build? It’s a very unusual build and was the largest ship of war to ever be built on the Great Lakes with 112 guns on 3 decks. Thumbsup ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup If there were praying hands I would have used that:D

I would love to but there just isn't much research material out there. It was of French design, I guess because the Admiralty wouldn't be aware of its building. It was built for fresh water and had no knees which in itself is quite unusual. Originally I thought it was of English design which would have made it a lot easier.

Back