HMS Surprise 1/48 scale built by neptune

165.jpg
Started attaching the shrouds, this shows the fore shrouds attached, and the white rope from the fore top to
the bowsprit is keeping the tension on till the shrouds are fixed, the shrouds should go on first and then the
Stays go on over the top of the shrouds, i don't have a lot of detailed pics of attaching the shrouds, so any questions just ask,

167.jpg
all the lower shrouds now in place,

168.jpg
Fore,

169.jpg
Main,

170.jpg
The bob stays, fore stays and main stays attached,

171.jpg
view looking down,

172.jpg
and the mizzen mast,

173.jpg
looking back along the ship,

175.jpg
Fore mast with ratlines attached, and you can see I have also blackened the dead
eyes and lanyards, some like to leave the ratlines and lanyards natural, I prefer to
blacken them,

176.jpg
close up of the shrouds and ratlines,

178.jpg
the main top,

180.jpg
close up,

181.jpg
view along the port side,

182.jpg
and the starboard,

184.jpg
The main topwith the crows feet and euproe attached,

185.jpg
close up,

186.jpg
mst of the fore and aft stays attached,

188.jpg
shows the mizzen top mast stay going through the block and down to the deck,

189.jpg
A view of the hearts at the bowsprit,

190.jpg
wider view,

191.jpg
all the upper stays in place,

193.jpg
The blocks that were supplied for the yards were way too small, so i made all of the larger blocks for the yards,
nothing fancy i just squared them off, filed the grooves and drilled for the ropes to go through,

194.jpg
Shows two sets for tying around the mast over the bolsters, and one set tied on the yard,

195.jpg
The fore and main yard with stun sail yards, i use the fish hooks for the stirrups, they are supposed to be rope,
but at this scale they don't hang properly,

196.jpg
another view,

197.jpg
and this is the main and fore yards, with the main top and fore top yards above them,

198.jpg
holding the main yard in position to make sure there are no problems,

199.jpg
and these next two pics show all the yards blackened,

200.jpg

202.jpg
The cannon assembled and painted, i don't like the blocks attached with rope, so what I do is get some blackened
craft wire and twist it together, then drill a small hole into the back of the carriage and CA glue them in place,
and also the carriages should taper to the front not the back, if they tapered to the back they would
be unstable and topple over when fired,

203.jpg
close up view, the next pics are just general views of the carriages in position,

204.jpg

205.jpg

206.jpg

207.jpg

208.jpg

209.jpg

210.jpg

212.jpg
base of the mizzen mast with eye bolts in place, again I use fish hooks because they are a lot stronger
than the kit supplied ones,

213.jpg
rigging the training tackle to the cannon,

214.jpg
This pic and next ones are just general views of the attached and rigged cannon,

215.jpg

216.jpg

217.jpg

218.jpg

219.jpg
So next up were the rope coils for the cannon, I make mine by putting a small drop of PVA glue on a piece
of cardboard, actually I do it for all the coils I'm going to need, then I attach a piece of string long enough
to make the coil, when the drop of PVA glue has set and is holding the string, I then spread more PVA around
and coil the string makinf sure it is soaked with the PVA glue as above,

220.jpg
I leave them for 24 hours and then very carefully release them from the cardboard,

221.jpg
The training tackle I take over the back of the carriage and glue just under the carriage, then I place the coil
in position and cut the end to match up with the piece coming over the back of the carriage,

222.jpg
A lot of coils ready to be attached,

223.jpg
This pic and the next few show the coils in place,

224.jpg

225.jpg

226.jpg

227.jpg

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I will one day build the HMS Victory at 1:48 and the task feels kind of scary considering that she will be about 5 feet long, 4 and 1/2 feet tall, and 13 and 1/2 inches wide.

Ray

I think the Victory could be even bigger than that, the Royal William is 55inches long without the bow sprit and the boom over the aft end,

best regards John.

Last edited:
You did a brilliant job but why did you use these hopeless blocks? You can buy a nice one. Those from the pictures are from Poland from Mirek .
Size from 3 mm . They are entertained and spoiled looking old and such as for foto.

As you already wanted to use your own, you could have jeweled into a box with pieces of rubbing paper and screw it with a screwdriver or something that drives it to get rid of these sharp edges on the blocks

Bloczki mirkowe.jpgbloczki mikowe 2.jpgIMGP0075k.jpgIMGP0344k.jpg

You did a brilliant job but why did you use these hopeless blocks? You can buy a nice one. Those from the pictures are from Poland from Mirek .
Size from 3 mm . They are entertained and spoiled looking old and such as for foto.

As you already wanted to use your own, you could have jeweled into a box with pieces of rubbing paper and screw it with a screwdriver or something that drives it to get rid of these sharp edges on the blocks

G'day JScolum, thank you for the compliment,

I used those blocks because I was building the ship for someone else and these were the blocks in the kit, so that is why I made the larger blocks the same, also if you look at the HMS Victory you will see these square blocks on her as well as some rounded ones.

I have a box full of the type of blocks you show, I bought them from I bought them from JB Model. see pics below,

DSCF2142.jpg

DSCF2145.jpg

DSCF2146.jpg

Back