HMS Surprise by Mamoli

The bulkhead extensions that allowed hull planking now need to be cut off.

View attachment 198681

The instructions didn't show this but I installed and stained ceiling planks (on the forecastle for now, on the quarterdeck as I move aft). Only now can I start deck planking.

View attachment 198682
I am wondering what these four square on the fore casle is for.

Imagine my Surprise (pun intended) when I realized I still had not installed the keel nor the stern post nor the bow stem. I'm beating my self up over it but found a solution that is so far working. All of the above mentioned parts are laser cut from walnut. The bulkheads extend, in some cases, well down into the keel proper which for me suggested the rabbit should be cut into the walnut keel rather than the central structure that holds each bulkhead like normal. ?Design flaw? To be clear nothing in the directions mention anything about a rabbit or installation of the keel, stern post, and bow stem, all of that is left up to the builder.

I dry fitted each piece of keel/post/stem and traced out where each bulkhead ended. Then I just cut the rabbit into the keel according to the marked lines. Glued in with carpenter's glue and clamped. Then I drilled holes and sunk nails through the keel and into that central piece. I'm pretty confident it is one of the most solid keels I've ever made. I've been setting a first-layer plank up against my rabbit at various locations and so far what I cut out is working pretty well. Tomorrow is the last keel section and stern post.

View attachment 170282View attachment 170283View attachment 170284
yes, you are right. I have answered that somewhere. Bowpart, KEEL, and STERN POST will have to add to the false keel

Attachments

• 200-QUILLA-KEEL (1).jpg
    200-QUILLA-KEEL (1).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 5

Attachments

• 221-Scan_0001.jpg
    221-Scan_0001.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 252--PLANKING.jpg
    252--PLANKING.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 19

Attachments

• 220-plankingprojectbeginners.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 155-RELLENO PROA-BOW FILLER (4).jpg
    155-RELLENO PROA-BOW FILLER (4).jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 149-RELLENO PROA-BOW FILLER (9).jpg
    149-RELLENO PROA-BOW FILLER (9).jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 161-STERN FILLING.jpg
    161-STERN FILLING.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 7
I am wondering what these four square on the fore casle is for.

Following the directions, I should have installed the cannon prior to installing the false deck and prior to the hull planking. I knew there would be mountains of sawdust sanding down the first planking and didn't want to foul the gun deck with all that sawdust. So I installed the false deck but cut holes out to slip in the cannon AFTER planking was completely finished. Now the holes are sealed up and the false deck is ready to be planked. Came out pretty good.

My comment. I prefer to use full lengths planks, as it will get it cure. This can be difficult when two plans is nailed so that you miss the right curve- MY OPININ

I've done that on occasion for some situations. A simple cut with a sharp #11 blade and a little darkening of the cut with a sharp pencil works pretty good. But mostly I'll use 80cm long planks for a full run.

Last edited:
greeting and service boat after some change -not the metal one.

For sure not the metal one. These little mini-kits for the ship's launch I get from Falkonet in Russia and are extremely detailed. The whole launch kit takes 3-4 days but the results are worth it.

it can be seen, that this model is a quality model. 1Th time I seee so early the curved on the deck. Most- and mean most- have all decks vertically, with water ways to run out. bravo

So you think a waterway for the forecastle would be a good thing to install? Complete with scuppers.....I like it. I'll add that to my additions to this ship.

this what i used to get bulkheads square. it cost a few cents. using carpenter glue, it can easily be taken away later on if it disturbed. The deck (s) I took all out and planked the outside the ship. Sealed off with a mix of carpenter Glue and a black color Just before settling down the Glue on the surface, I cleaned up. Finally, when DRY, I used a Razor blade or a piece of Cristal, to shave the planks from bow to stern-allways same direction, later with sandpaper until totally smooth, the sealed off. It will give you a perfect deck, without all the inside parts of the ship to disturb.

That is a fantastic idea! I do, however, like the permanent installation of something square against each bulkhead. I find it helps keep the bulkheads perfectly square during fairing and even hull planking. They are all covered up by the hull planking anyway, I like the additional strength it gives the whole structure.

That is a fantastic idea! I do, however, like the permanent installation of something square against each bulkhead. I find it helps keep the bulkheads perfectly square during fairing and even hull planking. They are all covered up by the hull planking anyway, I like the additional strength it gives the whole structure.
You should try it. You can use more than. Easy to take. In your case, not the problem, but when you are building a 2 or tree decker, the loves deck are not included. prepared to use Dummy Guns. Here I use -after making a marking to use them from inside to out of the Bulkhead. Now there is a support to insert pieces of Plywood between the Bulkheads so you know has a lower deck, where gun carriage/ gun can be inserted -te complete guns -instead of the Dummy Guns. Dummy Guns and me are NOT goods friends. Apart from the little piece I measure complete with the right measurement the outside between two bulkheads and cut and insert a 4x4 piece of wood, just below the decks. Gives much more Gluing surface When the decks are finally inserted.

Attachments

• 065-FALSA QUILA CON CUERDERNAS-FALSE QUIL CON BULKHEADS (41).jpg
    065-FALSA QUILA CON CUERDERNAS-FALSE QUIL CON BULKHEADS (41).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 6
As I lay down deck planks I'm also working on the cutouts for the six cannon on the quarter deck. The hull slopes down so each cutout is smaller as I move towards the bow. I gotta tell you, every time I cut into a completed hull for this sort of thing it gives me the heaby-jeabies. I mean, it's finished right? Nope, gotta cut into the painted and completed hull. So far, so good.

jahgskfjh.jpgkljdhfglkjd.jpg

Weather deck planking complete. One coat of stain and then a quick wash of acetone to tone it down a bit. I might scrub with some more acetone tomorrow after it dries completely. I like the gray-ish look better than an in your face wood look of a weather deck.

Next will be the upper rails and waterway/scuppers. That'll take a couple of days to do it right.

ahjdfgljkah.jpg

Back