HMS Surprise by Mamoli

Looking very consistent with the carriages. Hard to wait to see them fully armed and ready to fire. Rich (PT-2_

I ordered a whole parcel (26) brass cannon barrels I'm going to put in those carriages so the size of the barrels will match the upgraded kits I ordered from Caldercraft for the forecastle and quarterdeck. At $1.04/cannon barrel it was worth the risk of ordering them as an experiment.

Going to show the first two gun ports closed. I may end up doing this one again as the very slight skew on the aft port cover hinge is bugging me. On pics of the replica Surprise, one pic has the gun port black and the other shows it as yellow ochre. With due respect to "Nelson's Checker" I'm doing the outside of the covers in yellow ochre so the cover hinges stand out a bit.

grdffgv.jpg

Going to show the first two gun ports closed. I may end up doing this one again as the very slight skew on the aft port cover hinge is bugging me. On pics of the replica Surprise, one pic has the gun port black and the other shows it as yellow ochre. With due respect to "Nelson's Checker" I'm doing the outside of the covers in yellow ochre so the cover hinges stand out a bit.

View attachment 196909
Since Nelson is long gone and didn't survive that long after he took command of the Med. Fleet, his black gunports worked as morale boosters but did not extend his life much beyond. I wonder how long they remained that way after Trafalgar? Nice work as the gunport opens, POP goes the . . . Rich (PT-2)

Since Nelson is long gone and didn't survive that long after he took command of the Med. Fleet, his black gunports worked as morale boosters but did not extend his life much beyond. I wonder how long they remained that way after Trafalgar? Nice work as the gunport opens, POP goes the . . . Rich (PT-2)

I thought someone was messing with me. Two pictures taken from the same angle, one with black covers and one with ocher...photoshopped? But then I noticed an awning on the poop in one pic and not the other. Clearly they had repainted all the gun port covers. Modeler's choice it seems to me.

Shaped, coppered, and shipped the rudder today.

View attachment 197223

For Syren and Bounty I painted the pintles and gudgeons copper, both were after market straps that were superior to the kit provided straps. For Surprise I blackened the brass straps provided in the kit and then painted black as well. Now I'm thinking that iron straps would deteriorate quickly. But most of the model ships I've seen have black straps. What to do, what to do....

For Syren and Bounty I painted the pintles and gudgeons copper, both were after market straps that were superior to the kit provided straps. For Surprise I blackened the brass straps provided in the kit and then painted black as well. Now I'm thinking that iron straps would deteriorate quickly. But most of the model ships I've seen have black straps. What to do, what to do....
You stimulated me to look into the books that I have to determine what metal was used for the rudder pintel and gudgeon. Good question. Rich (PT-2)

The brass cannon finally arrived from Australia. Clearly, clearly these are far superior to the kit provided white metal canon. These puppies look exactly and I mean exactly like the cannon shipped on the fake Surprise tied up in San Diego. They are also very slightly larger than my upgraded Caldercraft cannon/carriages that I'll fully rig on the weather decks. That's appropriate I think, larger cannon were always lower in the hull with the lighter shot up higher.

gnfdcjhgnb.jpgkjdhg.ksdf,j.jpg

It is, but so far so good. The quarter windows are the real bi**h though. It's a real strange set up how the great cabin windows on the sides bulge out with equally weird building instructions. Several trials and fails with hours down the drain. I think (small letters) I'm on the trail of the right way to do it and I should know by tomorrow.

Clear difference in caliber and quality between the kit provided white metal cannon on the righthfdgmhjn.jpg and the 9 pounder brass cannon I ordered. The kit provided white metal cannon will join all the other odds and ends at the back of the parts drawer.

Clear difference in caliber and quality between the kit provided white metal cannon on the rightView attachment 197800 and the 9 pounder brass cannon I ordered. The kit provided white metal cannon will join all the other odds and ends at the back of the parts drawer.
My monitor has the "cannon on the right" blurred and I cannot make the matching evaluation that you mention but I will accept your keen eye. Rich (PT-2)

My monitor has the "cannon on the right" blurred and I cannot make the matching evaluation that you mention but I will accept your keen eye. Rich (PT-2)

You're right. I had already a couple of drinks so it looked perfectly in focus to me :p

Here's a pic with all three cannon unshipped. The bottom is kit provided, the middle is the lower deck brass cannon that I'm currently installing, the top is the upgraded Caldercraft cannon and carriaghfdhgf.jpgge that will go on the weather deck.

You're right. I had already a couple of drinks so it looked perfectly in focus to me :p

Here's a pic with all three cannon unshipped. The bottom is kit provided, the middle is the lower deck brass cannon that I'm currently installing, the top is the upgraded Caldercraft cannon and carriaView attachment 197925ge that will go on the weather deck.
Yes there is a definite progression in not only quality but accuracy of the barrels detailing with the real "fat pig" of a barrel in the middle. Be careful not to oversize the wedge shaped elevation bolster in relation to the carriage. They used combinations of flat ones (differing heights) and the wedge. Just a thought. Rich (PT-2)

Yes there is a definite progression in not only quality but accuracy of the barrels detailing with the real "fat pig" of a barrel in the middle. Be careful not to oversize the wedge shaped elevation bolster in relation to the carriage. They used combinations of flat ones (differing heights) and the wedge. Just a thought. Rich (PT-2)

I'm not installing bolsters on anything except the cannon on the weather deck. Nothing of gun deck cannon will be seen except what is sticking out of the gun port, and in the case of 5 cannon on either side only the inhaul tackle and I doubt anyone will see those but what the heck.

I'm not installing bolsters on anything except the cannon on the weather deck. Nothing of gun deck cannon will be seen except what is sticking out of the gun port, and in the case of 5 cannon on either side only the inhaul tackle and I doubt anyone will see those but what the heck.
I have very rarely seen the inhaul behind the breach end across the deck in that area. Mostly the outhaul rigged to the ships bulkheads. Rich (PT-2)

I have very rarely seen the inhaul behind the breach end across the deck in that area. Mostly the outhaul rigged to the ships bulkheads. Rich (PT-2)

Yeah but isn't there an in-haul and out-haul on every cannon?

Proper cannon mounted on all larboard side gun ports. For now I'm not mounting the gun port covers, I've found that they get in the way and I always end up knocking most of them off as I'm working on the rest of the ship. For now I only have the lanyards mounted and at some point I'll mount the already completed gun port covers.

ngadfshagsdvf.jpg

Back