HMS Surprise by Mamoli

Nice build, really like the deck colour you selected. I still scratch my head at the canon ball setup. 7 canon balls for each side of guns? That's 1 shot each and then they fight over the last 2 shots. Just doesn't seem right. I guess that's how the build goes but I would think there would be a small pile between a pair of guns so they would have at least 3-4 shots each. I'm just rambling on here...mmmm need to listen to some Led Zepplin for some reason now?

Most Ships in that era were also fitted with Cannon Ball racks alongside the Gun ports between Guns, in TKAM's model they'd be hidden under the deck.

OK all those items I finished over the last couple of days I mounted, except for the forward capstan. I also mounted two of the cannon on the larboard side with breech lines. All my Passaro blocks are at my other residence so I'll rig them out completely next month. Wow, with the Covid I'm getting so much time in with Surprise that I'll be done with all the deck furniture way ahead of schedule. I won't be surprised if I don't start with the masting by March at the latest.

View attachment 209131View attachment 209132View attachment 209133

Your upgrading of Ships guns was spot on.

Have a look in the NET of Hoby Guinea- Spain -working together with Amason- this Company have the biggest collection of "Fitting" or asesory that I have found. In fact, I am living in Spain-Another one Model Reyna- Madrid. Those two Companies has a huge amount of Models from different Producer and Model Reyna is doing its own accessory apart from those from each producer

Will do, thank you for your advice sir.

Hi, The ship looks beautiful, but U have a feeling that the two yellow reinforcement on the bow -mainly the upper one - are iuncorted installed (This without having the Drawing) It is one of the most difficult patrs, as it has to be benb, sometimes in 2 direction. I generally divided them into 2 or 3

I'm gonna wait a bit before I install the other two (each side) trim pieces. But this is what they kinda look like... I still have to knit the trim pieces together and a little more bending to make the curve nice and gentle and not abrupt. asdfasdf.jpgsdgaf.jpg

I've been admiring that very practical work stand, another "where did you get it" question. I'm in Australia but happy to order necessaries from overseas.

Your decking detail is superb.

I admire your approach to thoughtful detail.

Do you mean the workspace/desk, or the clamp that the ship is held in?

Will do, thank you for your advice sir.
if needed i have the e-mail adress, but generally it will come up with these names.
I use number 6 Birdshot (as in 12 gauge shotgun cartridges, if you have a friend owning a Shotgun they'll probably give you a cartridge or two) for 1-48 scale Ship guns, calibre differences won't matter really when they're that small.
no. as i am agains hunting. apart from shipping cost
It looks better now. I have tried to find some information on the net, but very little info.

The Clamp that the ship is held in, it looks like a very practical lightweight piece of modellers equipment, I havent seen anything like it here in the land of Aussie.

The Clamp that the ship is held in, it looks like a very practical lightweight piece of modellers equipment, I havent seen anything like it here in the land of Aussie.

It's an Amati product. I find it incredibly useful and well worth the price. I think I got mine from Micromark but I've seen the very thing on multiple websites for ship modelers.

And so it begins. After doing some chores around the house to get on my better sides's good side I started Surprise. It's a Mamoli kit so it's packed with lots of hardwood including all the gun carriages, capstain, ship's wheel and more. The first layer of planking looks like limewood, other than that everything is hardwood.

From the Modeler's Central description:

Originally a French corvette named L'Unite and armed with 24 nine pound long guns, she was designed by M. Forfait and was built at Le Havre. Captured in 1796 by HMS Inconstant, L'Unite was rechristened HMS Surprise and converted by the British into a 28-gun sixth-rate, carrying 24 32-pound carronades on her main deck, eight more of the same on her quarter deck and forecastle, as well as 4 six-pound long guns as chasers.

She gained fame for the cutting-out expedition in 1799 of HMS Hermione Hermione's crew had mutinied, and had sailed her into Spanish possession in Puerto Cabello. Captain Edward Hamilton of the Surprise led a boarding party to retake the Hermione from the mutineers and, after a sharp action, sailed her out of danger under Spanish gunfire back into British control. She was sold out of the Service in 1802.

She does bear a superficial resemblance to the ship in Master and Commander and I have loads of pictures of that ship which is tied up at the maritime museum in San Diego. She is a seaworthy ship and so all her rigging is genuine, I plan on staying true to the rigging of the actual ship.
Hallo @TKAM
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

It's an Amati product. I find it incredibly useful and well worth the price. I think I got mine from Micromark but I've seen the very thing on multiple websites for ship modelers.

I finally found a second hand one on EBay and snapped it up, you so right it's a great piece of kit.

Base for Surprise's case when the model is finished. I used cherry wood again. The sides and top are a five sided plexiglass constructed by TAP plastics. Stained with Minwax dark mahogany and four coats of poly. hgffzdxfghb.jpg

Finished reinstalling the posts and netting for the area right below the bowsprit. This is more in scale. Before painting the rest of the bow stem black I bent the remaining trim pieces as to allow for just painting before installation. I've found that if I paint first I end up marring the paint so much I have to go back and repaint, sometimes it's difficult if I've already mounted the part in question.

View attachment 222879View attachment 222880There are something wrong with the Yellow vpieces. NOT correct installed

I'm gonna wait a bit before I install the other two (each side) trim pieces. But this is what they kinda look like... I still have to knit the trim pieces together and a little more bending to make the curve nice and gentle and not abrupt. View attachment 223043View attachment 223044
not good enough. Try to see the build od Mirek Poland of Montañes. He has done wonderfully. even much better than OCCRE.

not good enough. Try to see the build od Mirek Poland of Montañes. He has done wonderfully. even much better than OCCRE.
here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20210131_102243.jpg
    20210131_102243.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210131_145219.jpg
    20210131_145219.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210131_145230.jpg
    20210131_145230.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210131_110842.jpg
    20210131_110842.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 22
Base for Surprise's case when the model is finished. I used cherry wood again. The sides and top are a five sided plexiglass constructed by TAP plastics. Stained with Minwax dark mahogany and four coats of poly.
Hallo @TKAM
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
and? did you finish in the meantime your Surprise?
so please surprise us with some new photos .....

Back