HMS Vanguard 1787 1:72 scale by ADoyon - First Build

Hi Michel,

Thank you for the compliment. After giving it much thought, I am leaning towards using Renaissance Wax. The recommendation in Bob Hunt's practicum was to apply several coats of Minwax Wipe-on Poly. Oil based polyurethane will turn yellow and darken over time. I'm not sure how well the water base poly works. I'm really not sure what I should be using. This is where I would very much appreciate advice from SOS members. Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish used for the protection of various materials and was developed in the early 1950s by the British Museum in collaboration with the National Gallery in London. It's used by conservators, museum professionals, antique collectors and artisans, It imparts a soft sheen after polishing. I am tempted to try out this product and see how well it holds up to prevent tarnishing. If it does not hold up, it can be removed with white spirits.
Again, any thoughts from fellow SOS members would be much appreciated.
We use Renaissance Wax in our book restoration business and swear by it.
It will certainly prevent tarnish on your beautifully crafted copper plates.
In my case I am going the other way and allowing (and encouraging) the tarnishing process to represent a ship which has not been in dock for three years.

It’s been slow progress applying copper plates to the hull and I’m almost done. Not for any lack of interest, however, it seems I can only manage a few hours a day to the build. It occurred to me early that I might run out of plates because I am overlapping each plate. By the time I came to that realization I was committed to keep going. The photo below shows where I ran out of plates. The kit came with 1295 plates for each side. I was able to purchase an additional sheet of plates, 7x37 or 259 plates for each side.

View attachment 440885

The following photos show the hull plating completed and polished. I used both Flitz and Brasso metal polish.

View attachment 440886

View attachment 440887

View attachment 440888

View attachment 440889

View attachment 440890

View attachment 440891

View attachment 440892

View attachment 440893
Congratulations Andre on completing this substantial part of the build which will be the subject of considerable scrutiny by observers of your finished build.
It has been too long since we have seen an update from you and I was feeling poorer for not having some of your work to admire. Thank you for breaking the drought.

The amount of overlap of your plates is much more than my efforts and your final result is more beautiful to look at as a result.

I look forward to your next update, hopefully soon.

Michael

Very impressive. Shouldn't the top row of plates run parallel to the waterline?

Mike
Hi Mike,
I also wondered before starting the copper plating, whether the top rows of plates run parallel to the waterline. There is a very good article in Chapter 13 of Ship Modeler’s Shop Notes II, a publication of the Nautical Research Guild, Inc., that examines the topic of how copper plates terminated at the waterline. My interpretation is that 18th century ship’s copper plates curved upward toward fore and aft sections of the ship and intersected the waterline at an angle. The top edge of the copper plating was covered by a wooden batten. The use of copper belts parallel to the waterline came into use in the 19th century. There are photographs of an early model of the HMS Bellona in Anatomy of the Ship series showing copper plates intersecting the waterline at an angle. The model was used to demonstrate the practice of copper sheathing to King George III in 1778. Additionally, this kit of the HMS Vanguard was designed Chris Watton of Victory Models. He is known for attention to detail and historical accuracy. His plans and drawings show the copper plating intersecting the waterline at an angle giving the plating a “bowed” appearance.

Hi Mike,
I also wondered before starting the copper plating, whether the top rows of plates run parallel to the waterline. There is a very good article in Chapter 13 of Ship Modeler’s Shop Notes II, a publication of the Nautical Research Guild, Inc., that examines the topic of how copper plates terminated at the waterline. My interpretation is that 18th century ship’s copper plates curved upward toward fore and aft sections of the ship and intersected the waterline at an angle. The top edge of the copper plating was covered by a wooden batten. The use of copper belts parallel to the waterline came into use in the 19th century. There are photographs of an early model of the HMS Bellona in Anatomy of the Ship series showing copper plates intersecting the waterline at an angle. The model was used to demonstrate the practice of copper sheathing to King George III in 1778. Additionally, this kit of the HMS Vanguard was designed Chris Watton of Victory Models. He is known for attention to detail and historical accuracy. His plans and drawings show the copper plating intersecting the waterline at an angle giving the plating a “bowed” appearance.
I LOVE learning these sorts of details..

First Build: Amati HMS Vanguard 1787, 1:72 scale. I appreciate the opportunity to share my first build with the SOS community. I have very limited experience with wood ship modeling and hope to receive valuable advice from members. So, all tips and comments are welcome. A little background about myself: I am a retired engineer, age 74, and now find that I have some time to to spend on a build. I started building the Billing Boats Cutty Sark model 50 years ago, but never finished and gave that kit away. Also, about the same time I purchased the Mantua Sergal HMS Victory, which I still have and have not started. The HMS Victory looks a bit daunting with plans in Italian and limited instructions in English. I became interested in building a model of the BlueJacket version of the USS Constitution since I live 30 miles south of Boston and I can visit the ship often. While researching wood ship modeling on the internet I found Robert Hunt’s Practicums on building various wood model kits. I contacted Bob to ask his opinion about this kit. He mentioned that the BlueJacket version is the 1812 configuration and the actual ship as configured today may not be helpful. The BlueJacket kit is also at a smaller scale than the Vanguard which makes the build a little more difficult. Bob suggested that if I really wanted to build a large complex kit to build the Amati HMS Vanguard and to purchase his practicum on building the kit. I did purchase his practicum and realize that it will be of considerable value to my effort. He explains all steps in great detail with techniques and tools to use. I believe his website, www.lauckstreetshipyard.com, is a valuable resource for novice ship modelers. I will be following the kit’s instructions as well as Bob Hunt’s practicum. So, now on with the build…View attachment 207709View attachment 207710
I have my eye on this kit so I will follow along with great interest!

Bill

Back