HMS Victory, 1:64 scale by Steve Anderson, aka, Jasta11ace.

Hi Robert,

Beautiful build and good decision to go for the pre nelson Victory which is much more a beauty then the trafelgar yellow black one.

The scenery above the top wale how did you do this, is it painted or carved? Guess the original was painted.

Hi Robert,

Beautiful build and good decision to go for the pre nelson Victory which is much more a beauty then the trafelgar yellow black one.

The scenery above the top wale how did you do this, is it painted or carved? Guess the original was painted.
Hi Maarten,

I'm Steve. I can see with my above reply to Robert you could easily make that mistake by the comma I put in it.

Thanks for your comments. The scenic work is all hand painted. The only carvings for this period were on the bow and around the stern galleries.

Thanks. With a very small brush freehand. The sides were done in Dr. Marten's airbrush paints, which I used with a brush. The paint lays down in real scale thin layers. The stern and quarter galleries were done in oils. I'll post some closeups in the next part of the log.

Part 4
Many thanks again to all for showing interest and following my Victory construction project.

When I started building HMS Victory there was no Internet. All research had to be done through print media and involved years of building your own library. Centuries-old treasures lay in display cases in museums available only to visitors, and at that, only about 10 percent of their entire collection is on display. In 1994-95 along came the World Wide Web (www). That's what it was called. The term, Internet, did not exist yet. In its cave drawing days it was like a bad set of Encyclopedias, but it was a start. As Dr. Watson says, "After all Holmes, we are men of Science," and a giant network was born that expanded with light speed.

In 2014 I discovered the National Maritime Museum's website. http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collec...8;collectionReference=subject-90308;start=260 (copy and paste)

I eagerly went to the ship models collection, which is the link above, and found two contemporary Victory models in her 1765+ configuration.

victory 1765 d.jpg

Victory 1765.jpg

These models were not on display when I made multiple visits in 1988. The NMM is under an umbrella called the Royal Museums Greenwich or RMG. This is only one snowflake on the tip of the iceberg. The wonders of the Internet, and thanks to the staff of RMG, are showing us not only what is on display, but the other 90 percent as well. I finally found what I needed to complete the build I wanted. Original plan drawings are in a section too.

With new inspiration I started back on the build and what changes had to be made. The first and most obvious was the fore and main channels had to lowered to below the upper deck gunports. I used brass pins to hold these in place so it was a matter of relocating them and replacing the missing moldings in their previous locations.

DPP_0373.JPG

Before and after.

060313a (4).JPG

The entry port canopy was built in post 1803 style so these had to be removed and replaced with older style construction.

DSC02680.JPG

Before and after.

!cid_7B6E0A52-7F2C-4B8F-AC2B-6B93344A00F3@home.jpg

You'll notice other areas of progress between the above photos. Next thing on the list was the beakhead bulkhead and round houses. I had used contemporary model photos of another three decker for reference and the dimensions and moldings were too high. So this was cut out and newly constructed. Again before and after photos.

33.jpg

9G5A5603.JPG

The last four photos are from 5-2016 to 5-2017.

Next, Part 5 will cover the stern galleries.

Part 4
Many thanks again to all for showing interest and following my Victory construction project.
The last four photos are from 5-2016 to 5-2017.
Next, Part 5 will cover the stern galleries.

Hallo Steve,
we are all looking forward to see the next "Part"s of your building log of your wonderful model ......

Part 5 The stern galleries.

The house remodel and my new shop setup is finally finished. After a few weeks of getting back into some kind of routine it's time to post a few shots. Victory is out of the case and on one of the work tables. At present I'm working on a new marine painting of Victory on blockade duty using the model as one of my references.

060313a (3).JPG
This is what it looked like for years, so after finishing the middle deck with the 24 pounders, it was time for a sanity break to start closing in the back of the ship.

DSC02668.JPG

Each of main deck windows consists of 32 individual pieces of wood. I made templates for all of them.DSC02670.JPG

The upper deck balcony was especially fun to build.DSC02671.JPG

"Victory" was painted by cutting a mask and then sprayed with my airbrush in gold lacquer. The ladies are hand painted with a brush. I had to chuckle at the drawn stage curtains revealing the gunports.9G5A5612.JPG

Here's where it stands as of now. As soon as I finish with the bow carvings I will construct the quarterdeck balcony.balcony rail pattern UD3.jpg

This is the pattern I made in Photoshop for the balcony balustrade using the 1765 model for reference.

Attachments

• DSC02669.JPG
    DSC02669.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 24
Many thanks for part no.5 - your work is outstanding - a beautifull model and very good workmanship - especially the paintings ! Many thanks for the update - looking forward to no.6

What a beautiful and flawless model! This forum causes that disease that unhinges jaws allowing them to rest on the floor. As soon as I manage to pick it up, something like your build comes around and 'thud'. Is that a Camel coming to life in the background?

Back