• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

HMS Victory 1:72 - Caldercraft by Gilbertm

Hello friends
Having completed the foremast (all elements are dry fitted only at this stage), I worked on the main mast which is a replica of the fore mast.
I therefore have not taken a lot of pictures of the various steps.

The only element worth mentioning is that I added a wire in order to light the main mast lantern. I made a small groove on the aft part of the mast, added a small 2mm brass tube, used wood putty to keep the mast shape and inserted a very small wire in the tube. I have not made the connection yet; I'll do that when I'll work on the lantern.
Picture below

20260923_103425.jpg20260923_103417.jpg

The the other elements are just like the fore mast.
20260930_161750.jpg20260930_162125.jpg20260930_162230.jpg20260930_162310.jpg20260930_162327.jpg


Again nothing is glued at this stage, minimizing the risk for futher steps.

I am now going to get started on the mizzen mast.

Cheers
Another classic Gilbert ship in the making. Kudos. My son (Justin) always asks me does it float..... So, with the picture by your stunning pool......."does it float" ROTF ROTF
Hey Grant
I won't try her in the pool,m too risky I believe:p
 
Hi Gilbert,
Your latest photos take me back to when I was fitting my masts onto the hull.
My first reaction was: "Good heavens, what a huge ship this is turning out to be."
I can assure you, it only gets bigger.
Good luck, she's going to be beautiful.
 
Hi Gilbert,
Your latest photos take me back to when I was fitting my masts onto the hull.
My first reaction was: "Good heavens, what a huge ship this is turning out to be."
I can assure you, it only gets bigger.
Good luck, she's going to be beautiful.
Hi Will
Thanks for your feedback and comment.
You are right ...
When I brought her outside to take the pictures I realized how big she is :p
This is indeed fun
 
Back
Top