HMS Victory, 104-gun First-rate ship, Scale 1:72, by Attila

question

this is the keel of the Victory. the question is about num 5 (square frames). there are 92 of them. could you help me with what they were made of? what is their purpose? and what does one look like?
On the excerpt I can see only the cross cut through the frame which is numbered with "5"
So this would be the normal frame, which will be not shown in your model, better you covered this area at the keel with your inner and outer planking

HMS Victory is a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, ordered in 1758, laid down in 1759, and launched in 1765. She is best known for her role as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805.

View attachment 273455
I have the JoTiKa kit I bought some years ago. I wonder if I should invest in a less complicated kit begore I take this plunge.

I see this project as a practice piece. I planned to build a "walnut shell" on which I would build everything on the outside. Im looking for/learning the techniques and buying the machines etc etc....
For example I start planking the inside differently. The outside was good for that. I dont know how far i want to "sail" with this ship. I dont plan to finish it.
Ill build some of the floors to learn, and thats it. And than after ill start a new one.
Whew! An awful amount of work for a practice piece. I admire your patience and workmanship

Whew! An awful amount of work for a practice piece. Ifront admire your patience and workmanship
:) thx tommyg

you now it was (is) extreme useful. i not just built it, i learned technics, bought machines, tools etc etc. and its not over. im still building it and ill always practice on this piece. i hope in the springtime ill start the "big" one. there is only one ( :)) ) big question. how to build properly the the front frames of the ship. but i think ill speak with a good carpenter. :)

I didn't write, but I wasn't bored. The plan is progressing, even its not too exciting yet. I had to start learning the CAD world. After about 100 hours of study, it has taken 15 hours to make the plans. These are already accurate. Not a very exciting post, but I thought I would share this with You. Love it.

Last edited:
I didn't write, but I wasn't bored. The plan is progressing, even its not too exciting yet. I had to start learning the CAD world. After about 100 hours of study, it has taken 15 hours to make the plans. These are already accurate. Not a very exciting post, but I thought I would share this with You. Love it.

Gotta watch this! Every post contains at least one nugget of information. BTW, do you know have any on how to convince 'catman' my cat he is not a ship modeler. He likes to park where I work...

Back