HMS Victory by Manfred Burkert, Scale 1:57

Hello again,

a few days ago I introduced myself, now the first thing I would like to do is to introduce a friend‘s model. His name is Manfred and i met him for the first time in 2018 at the fair in Friedrichshafen (Faszination Modellbau = the fascination of model making) at Lake Constance. The model is the HMS Victory, Scale 1:57. He startet construction in 1972 and he finished it in 2012. Some additional crew members were completed by 2018. Due to his age (78), he no longer wants to exhibit the model. It is very time-consuming and exhausting, especially because his sons always have to take vacation for it.
In 2017 his sons gave him a trip to Portsmouth along with a special tour on the Victory as a gift to his 75th birthday.

First I would like to show some pictures of the whole model:

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

05.jpg 06.jpg 10.JPG 07a.jpg09.JPG 10b.JPG 10c.JPG 07b.JPG 07.jpg

04a.JPG 06b.jpg

These 2 Pictures show Manfred in front of his favourite ship:

11.jpg 11a.JPG

You can find some very nice pics also on Facebook, photographed by another visitor of the fair at Lake Constance:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&type=3&theater

There is also a thread in my german forum, which give more insights into the building process (you have to log in to view the pics):

I think, that's enough for today. Some details of the model will follow.

Greetings, Hartmut

1:57 Victory? Oh dang! Looks amazing, and I especially love the detail and display of the sails.
I'm picturing a fan blowing into the sails as the glue in them is setting, and the builder trying to keep the ship from sailing away. ROTF

Now I want to show some pics of the figurehead - or the figurehead-ensemble. Manfred first created a model of the figurehead in scale 1:5. Later he scaled it down to scale of 1:57.

The model in scale 1:5:

15.JPG

15a.jpg

15b.jpg

15.JPG 15a.jpg 15b.jpg

The figurehead at the model, scale 1:57:

18.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg

The crown:
19.jpg

19.jpg

Greetings, Hartmut

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again,

a few days ago I introduced myself, now the first thing I would like to do is to introduce a friend‘s model. His name is Manfred and i met him for the first time in 2018 at the fair in Friedrichshafen (Faszination Modellbau = the fascination of model making) at Lake Constance. The model is the HMS Victory, Scale 1:57. He startet construction in 1972 and he finished it in 2012. Some additional crew members were completed by 2018. Due to his age (78), he no longer wants to exhibit the model. It is very time-consuming and exhausting, especially because his sons always have to take vacation for it.
In 2017 his sons gave him a trip to Portsmouth along with a special tour on the Victory as a gift to his 75th birthday.

First I would like to show some pictures of the whole model:

View attachment 176860 View attachment 176861 View attachment 176862 View attachment 176863

View attachment 176864 View attachment 176865 View attachment 176866 View attachment 176867View attachment 176868 View attachment 176869 View attachment 176870 View attachment 176871 View attachment 176872

View attachment 176873 View attachment 176874

These 2 Pictures show Manfred in front of his favourite ship:

View attachment 176875 View attachment 176876

You can find some very nice pics also on Facebook, photographed by another visitor of the fair at Lake Constance:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&type=3&theater

There is also a thread in my german forum, which give more insights into the building process (you have to log in to view the pics):

I think, that's enough for today. Some details of the model will follow.

Greetings, Hartmut
Fantastische Segel! Sieg am Bodensee. Has a nice ring to it. The sails are the best I’ve seen. I can’t even do that in my dreams.

The sails are the best I’ve seen. I can’t even do that in my dreams.

He has developed a special method to represent naturally billowed sails. The method is described in my german forum:

However, you can only see the pictures if you are logged in.

Wonderful work - amazing quality
the figurehead is extremely good made - the big one and also the small one.
I hope to see once this Victory model in real......

He has developed a special method to represent naturally billowed sails. The method is described in my german forum:

Maybe, when you ave some spare time, it would be great, if you can make a small tutorial here in SOS, showing these photos
Very good way and very realistic result Thumbsup

Maybe, when you ave some spare time, it would be great, if you can make a small tutorial here in SOS, showing these photos
Very good way and very realistic result Thumbsup
I went to the Baubericht (build report) and somehow missed the step-by-step instructions on how to make the sails billowed. I think he mentioned making the bolt rope smaller than the sails? And using water to simulate air blowing against the sails, but I saw no information on how to do that. Maybe I just missed it.

I went to the Baubericht (build report) and somehow missed the step-by-step instructions on how to make the sails billowed. I think he mentioned making the bolt rope smaller than the sails? And using water to simulate air blowing against the sails, but I saw no information on how to do that. Maybe I just missed it.

Yes, you are right. The Description is in the text inserted in the photos, so it is not possible to translate it by google. The bolt rope must be smaller than the sails and he uses water to simulate natural billowing. But as Uwek has suggested, I can try to make a short tutorial in this forum.

Yes, you are right. The Description is in the text inserted in the photos, so it is not possible to translate it by google. The bolt rope must be smaller than the sails and he uses water to simulate natural billowing. But as Uwek has suggested, I can try to make a short tutorial in this forum.
I think I can get to the pictures now. The site has accepted me. The site seems difficult to navigate and the rules to join make up a long list. I thought I’d go cross eyed reading them in German. Such long words!

I just read the Baubericht and looked at the pictures. I’m not sure what he did with the wood putty. Was he applying it to the seams so they would be hard and hold the shape after the water treatment? Or was he applying a water/wood putty mixture over both sides of the entire sail?

I just read the Baubericht and looked at the pictures. I’m not sure what he did with the wood putty. Was he applying it to the seams so they would be hard and hold the shape after the water treatment? Or was he applying a water/wood putty mixture over both sides of the entire sail?
Or is it wood glue?

When I look at Holzgrudierung, the ads show a wood primer. But it’s not like primer I’ve seen before. Is it oil based or water based? Sorry for all the questions. You have my curiosity going.

I’m not sure what he did with the wood putty. Was he applying it to the seams so they would be hard and hold the shape after the water treatment? Or was he applying a water/wood putty mixture over both sides of the entire sail?

Hi Vfordyce,
he applied it over both sides of the entire sail. I think wood primer is the right translation for "Holzgrundierung". It is not wood glue. Regarding the question of whether it's oil or water based, I have to ask Manfred. Of course we both (Manfred and myself) are happy to answer your questions. Couriosity is welcome.

Regarding the "Baubericht" (= build log) I have to apologize a little bit, because what I am posting at the moment in small pieces in my home forum cannot be regarded as a build log in the exact meaning. The model was built over 40 years from 1972 on to 2012. In 1972 Manfred could not imagine that something like build logs are possible at all. And he was far away to think of a publication of his build in form of a book. So he took some photos of the building process and explained it in a nutshell. So my "build log" in the german forum is little more than a subsequent very brief construction report, which mainly consists of pictures.

Greetings, Hartmut

Last edited:
Back