HMS Victory - CalderCraft 1:72

Hi, it all worked out okay so far. The ports that needed adjusting( not all of them, and some only sightly) only had the bottom adjusted. ie they were elongated. This was corrected with the external & internal planking. As the adjusted ones have linings that go all the way through, not indented by 1mm, it looks as its supposed to be and the cannons line up at the right height. Hope that makes sense. Make up a cannon on a truck and try each port ( look at cannon internal & external, remembering that a lot of it is hidden from view by the next deck, and you will be able to see what needs to be cut if needed.

Thanks so much!!!! I put together one of the cannons to try,, I finished the deck planking last night so I have the height down,, the variance actually does seem less than I anticipated. I am going to start working on carving out the inner bulworks to line up. I see some people say they keep them level and others with a slight downward angle so the rain/water would run out. (In the real world with the ship rocking so much, can’t imagine a degree or two would really make any difference in the end.) Thanks so much and amazing videos,, appreciate them,,

And so it begins:

I purchased this kit back in 2014 ( 8 YEARS AGO) for $1,400 Australian. After finishing 4 previous models ( CC Endeavour, Occre Albatros, Amaiti Stage Coach & Occre Stephensons Rocket) I was hooked on wood kits. I had a windfall and invested in the kit.

I was keeping it till I had enough skill to to do it justice. Well 8 years and 4 more ships later and being 64 this year its time to begin.

I will not go through an unboxing, as this is in an old video here:

I purchased the obligatory ref books along the way as well as the CC Victory Admiralty Paint set. I have used Admiralty paint before and they are great to use.

So without rambing on here bigginith the adventure.

I will be doing both a pictural & Video log of this adventure. ( I'd supply the drinks & popcorn, but given the time that this log is likely to go on for, I will be in serious debt. Gifts of popcorn & beer gladly accepted.

Take care see you soon.
Hallo @paulv1958
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Tks Frank, Chuck,Dock,Jim, Tony and all those with likes.

The initial frame was very fast due to the accuracy of the parts. It fitted perfectly with no issues. The actual assembly, not including the cutout, minor cleaning of parts & Glue Drying. is about 2-3 hours in total.

The next steps are a little more complex in terms of alignment & bending. I will need to take significant care with these.

IT weights in at about 7Kg at present, so its not a light beast to move around.
Good job. The kit may be expensive, but I see that the wooden elements are very precise and clean.

Greetings all,
Were BACK

Its been 20 months since I did an update. WOW, Guess other things in life go me distracted.
Discovered Kickstarter BIG BOX board games, play tested games for developers & stuck on thousands of copper plates!

I have to admit that copper plating is NOT my thing. To many glued fingers, torn skin and CA fumes. Whilst not difficult, it is laborious, repetitive, mind numbing work. Ratlines are a dream compared to this.

I have posted a new video ( see link) and am now back into the funstuff (rigging & fitting 30 cannons! arrg......), gratings and the upper gun deck fit out.
Its on to page 13 & Plan 3

It aslo means I'll breakout the 1/72 HAT navy staff to man the guns & fill out the crew.
Lots of minature painting.

Stay tuned.

Victory part 8 the coppering.

Greetings all,
Were BACK

Its been 20 months since I did an update. WOW, Guess other things in life go me distracted.
Discovered Kickstarter BIG BOX board games, play tested games for developers & stuck on thousands of copper plates!

I have to admit that copper plating is NOT my thing. To many glued fingers, torn skin and CA fumes. Whilst not difficult, it is laborious, repetitive, mind numbing work. Ratlines are a dream compared to this.

I have posted a new video ( see link) and am now back into the funstuff (rigging & fitting 30 cannons! arrg......), gratings and the upper gun deck fit out.

It aslo means I'll breakout the 1/72 HAT navy staff to man the guns & fill out the crew.

Stay tuned.

Good afternoon Paul. Good to see you back. Yep your playing looks pretty perfect. Man I think I would be driven to drink glueing on so many little plates… ROTF . Does look good thou. Cheers Grant

As always , your work is beautiful,,, it seems I am few steps ahead of you now, so just a few warnings I have come across. 1) there are not enough eyelets to complete all of the guns, (10 eyelets per gun needed for a complete rigging) and the kit only provides 150 eyelets total, so get some extra now. 2)The steps in the ladders don’t fit right, the directions say to use 1X5 mm slats, but 0.5X5mm fits perfectly and of course there is not enough in the kit for that so I suggest you get a 2 or three strips to make the ladders better.3) Lastly as has already been mentioned, the holes drilled in the brace bits (part 159) are far too small for the belaying pins in the kit, much easier to custom make the pieces and drill the correct holes before they are installed, I ended up making 1.3 mm holes in a freshly made cross bit and the included belaying pins fit snuggly in those holes. Good luck!! Love watching your videos,,,

Greetings all,
Were BACK

Stay tuned.

Paul, welcome back. Another great video, I liked the idea of sealing the hull before applying the copper plates. Wish I had thought of that before plating my own. Am at the point of rigging my first shrouds, main mast stbd side. Fingers crossed.

Cheers All. 2 more videos, Back to the fun stuff. Next comes the Cannons & rigging.

Hi Traumadoc, the stairs were okay for mine with the suggested wood size 1 x 5 . The fitted perfectly, maybe I as lucky.
I'll see how I go with the cannon parts. I'm down 2 x 24 Lb long cannons so have had to order a spare set from Calder craft.

I also have 2 long cannons that are slightly fatter that are not mentioned in the parts list. They look the same as the long 24 and have sane size bore, but are marginally fatter when compared side by side.

Anyway here we go:

Its good insomnia material.

HI All , Another month, another video even longer....
Hope I dont put you to seep to much.

Its the 24Lb cannon build without the rigging. That's next
Slow going, bloody hot last couple of weeks so had to cool myself off with a few tinnies.

Cheers to all the CC builders. Enjoy the kit.

Back