HMS Victory, Mamoli 1:90 scale by Spider999

Spider:
Thanks for your book references.

J
If it is allowed, here is the book review of the McGowen book which was mentioned
For the Victory the Bugler can be also of some help ( a lot of data)

Been working on the side stern galleries, following YT's fine example. He might have set the bar but we still have to do the work ourselves to get to the same standard. It's just like following the mamoli plans but better!!, and following a great tip from the man himself, I went to the website he recommended and got myself some goodies, the postman just delivered them, I only ordered them last tuesday, so less than a week. Shapeways.comIMG_2144.JPGIMG_2145.JPGIMG_2147.JPGIMG_2148.JPGIMG_2150.JPGIMG_2151.JPGIMG_2155.JPGIMG_2156.JPGIMG_2157.JPG

have managed to clad the rudder as well, dont know whether to do the copper foil tape or the windows first!!??

View attachment 161965View attachment 161966View attachment 161967View attachment 161968View attachment 161969

Started to clad the stern with walnut strips, sides next, then the window profiles, cant wait.............. where's YT when you need his help!!

I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE GUYS/GALS:

Either nobody noticed, or people are too polite to mention it, but I figure if you can admit your mistakes then it makes you a better person so here goes::

Look at the picture closely, under the lower row of window openings is the section of the stern that carries the ships name. On my model (up to a couple of days ago that is) I had made it with a continuation of the slot that houses the rudder, also if you looked at it from the side it was CONCAVE..

I am following YT's build as his is better than the mamoli plans.. (admit it, I'm not the only one!!)

Mistake no.1, there should be no slot there, and mistake no.2 if anything viewed from the side it should be CONVEX.

No problem, I have managed to get the walnut strips off ok and have padded out the hollow with strips of the first layer of planking, and filled in the slot.
I just finished recovering it with new walnut strips (good job I bought plenty from Cornwallmodelboats), and it looks a lot better now. Once the glue dries enough to remove the masking tape and finish off sanding a decent finish to it I will pop a few more pics on here.

Also I have given the green tiles a few coats of matt acrylic varnish to seal them and help the copper foil tape adhere a bit better. (cheers YT)

All done, painted, what do you think ???

Only kidding, this is the real thing, here are a few photos I took a few years ago when I went to spend the day at the historic dockyard in Portsmouth where she is berthed.

Turned out to be a good idea for the visit to get plenty of reference shots. they are proving to be a very handy guide at the moment.

P1010207.JPGP1010192.JPGP1010195.JPGP1010198.JPGP1010212.JPGP1010218.JPGP1010219.JPG

Really pleased with the way the tape went on, managed to do one side of the boat in about 3 or 4 hrs.

Happy with the way it shows off the break in the pattern.

Undecided whether to do both sides or leave one side just with the green tiles on..... mmmmmm, got another roll of copper tape so will probably do both sides, but what do you guys/gals think?

IMG_2250.JPGIMG_2251.JPGIMG_2252.JPGIMG_2253.JPGIMG_2254.JPGIMG_2255.JPGIMG_2256.JPGIMG_2257.JPGIMG_2258.JPG

I looked at fixing the rudder hinges to the stern and thought just gluing them onto the foil tape wouldn't be very strong, so came up with the idea of filing flat the dummy bolt heads, drilling them out with a small (1.1mm) drill bit, then I can still put some CA (superglue) behind them but replace the dummy bolts with pins, into the wood of the frames/planks/tiles etc. The pinheads should keep the hinges in place.

IMG_2295.JPGIMG_2297.JPGIMG_2298.JPG

I looked at fixing the rudder hinges to the stern and thought just gluing them onto the foil tape wouldn't be very strong, so came up with the idea of filing flat the dummy bolt heads, drilling them out with a small (1.1mm) drill bit, then I can still put some CA (superglue) behind them but replace the dummy bolts with pins, into the wood of the frames/planks/tiles etc. The pinheads should keep the hinges in place.

View attachment 167090View attachment 167091View attachment 167092

Hi Spider,
it is very nice work.I
will continue to follow Thumbsup :)

Back