HMS Winchelsea 1764, 32 gun Frigate 1:48, Syren Ship model by Trussben

Chapter 8 has been completed, just a little sanding of the deck beams and knees when I start planking to get a nice run.

I still haven’t added the cannons in the waist yet as want to keep them out of the way as long as possible so I don’t knock them loose with an errant elbow.

IMG_6913.jpegIMG_6911.jpegIMG_6910.jpeg
IMG_6909.jpegIMG_6912.jpeg

Chapter 8 has been completed, just a little sanding of the deck beams and knees when I start planking to get a nice run.

I still haven’t added the cannons in the waist yet as want to keep them out of the way as long as possible so I don’t knock them loose with an errant elbow.

View attachment 463646View attachment 463647View attachment 463648
View attachment 463649View attachment 463650
Good morning Ben. I am an admirer of your work. So good. It is almost a pity to have those beams and knees covered with the deck planks. Are you going to leave some exposed? Cheers Grant

Chapter 9 is well under way with the QD and FC side plates to cover the last of the framing done, Caprails installed and the QD planking half completed.
There will be lots of paint touchups that will need to be done and small gaps filled when the planking is completed.

IMG_6946.jpegIMG_6945.jpegIMG_6944.jpegIMG_6943.jpeg

Gangways and their knees completed, Breasthook installed, Cathead slots were cut and then they were installed and the Transom frames were cut down using the supplied template.
All ready to start making all of the railings.

IMG_7009.jpegIMG_7010.jpegIMG_7007.jpegIMG_7008.jpeg

1726528834404.png

Not only a beautiful model, Winchelsea is a nice little coastal town, only 60 miles from me, but changes in the landscape mean it no longer has a harbour You probably know it was one of the Cinque Ports, empowered to raise money and men for the service of the Crown in 1155 by royal charter, The chief obligation laid on the ports, as a corporate duty, was to provide 57 ships for 15 days' service to the king annually, each port fulfilling a proportion of the whole duty. They were granted certain liberties in return.

That is such a beautiful ship. I just wish the desgner had added rigging to it.. But maybe he doesn't like rigging because most of his ships are admiralty models.
He sure does sell a lot of blocks and rope for a designer who doesn't like rigging ;). But in all seriousness, I think this model is too large for the average person to rig it, not many 1:48 kits this large get rigging. Big reason why I wish more kit designers would focus on 1:64 scale, big enough for good detail, but small enough to have larger ships rigged but still fit in a persons home.

He sure does sell a lot of blocks and rope for a designer who doesn't like rigging ;). But in all seriousness, I think this model is too large for the average person to rig it, not many 1:48 kits this large get rigging. Big reason why I wish more kit designers would focus on 1:64 scale, big enough for good detail, but small enough to have larger ships rigged but still fit in a persons h
Good point.

Back