HMY Fubbs (1724)

If he doesn't he could do one from memory in his spare time.

Head Rails:
The drawing showing the lower knee made a good pattern and fit nicely as shown in the first three photos. The upper knee drawing did not make a very good pattern, so I divided it into three pieces using the drawing for the end pieces and used some blue modeling clay to form the middle section as shown in the fourth and fifth photos. I carefully removed the clay and traced the outline on a paper pattern and transferred that to wood after some trimming the center section fit. The lower knee is not perfect but doesn’t look too bad.

IMG_4917.JPGIMG_4918.JPGIMG_4919.JPGIMG_4920.JPGIMG_4921.JPGIMG_4922.JPGIMG_4923.JPGIMG_4924.JPGIMG_4925.JPG

Head Rails:
The drawing showing the lower knee made a good pattern and fit nicely as shown in the first three photos. The upper knee drawing did not make a very good pattern, so I divided it into three pieces using the drawing for the end pieces and used some blue modeling clay to form the middle section as shown in the fourth and fifth photos. I carefully removed the clay and traced the outline on a paper pattern and transferred that to wood after some trimming the center section fit. The lower knee is not perfect but doesn’t look too bad.

View attachment 50149

Good idea with the modeling clay - did you wait until this was dry and hardened, before you remove it from the bow? I can imagine, that the clay would change his form, when removing in soft condition.......or with some trials, or some meat on the wooden part to sand it to final form......???

Good idea with the modeling clay - did you wait until this was dry and hardened, before you remove it from the bow? I can imagine, that the clay would change his form, when removing in soft condition.......or with some trials, or some meat on the wooden part to sand it to final form......???
As you can see the clay is about twice as thick as the finished knee and was used for the general shape of the pattern then the part was trimmed and sanded to the final size.

Good job on the headrails, Mike! Not an easy task!

Last fall I attended a workshop and constructing headrails taught by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert. A very instructive little seminar. Made it a little less complicated!

Last fall I attended a workshop and constructing headrails taught by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert. A very instructive little seminar. Made it a little less complicated!

Hello Dave,can you explain that method please,thanks.

Hi Dave,
I expect David Antschert and Greg Herbert used a more sophisticated method than I did and like Zoltan would appreciate their method being expanded. Step by step photos would be helpful, thanks.
Mike

Bowsprit:
Before continuing with the head rails, I built and installed the bowsprit, so I would not have the rails in the way when lashing it down. I did a free hand sketch for the flag staff support, transferred it to wood and installed it. This is the progress photos.IMG_4927.JPGIMG_4928.JPGIMG_4927.JPGIMG_4928.JPGIMG_4929.JPGIMG_4930.JPGIMG_4931.JPGIMG_4932.JPGIMG_4933.JPGIMG_4934.JPGIMG_4935.JPGIMG_4936.JPGIMG_4937.JPGIMG_4938.JPGIMG_4939.JPGIMG_4940.JPGIMG_4941.JPG

Hello Mike

Great work like always, you seem to achieve so very much very fine work in such a short time. On your stern decoration did you carve these out of wood or did you cast them, they sure do look good? Enjoy. Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, thanks I carved the stern decorations from boxwood using a drimel with rotary files and burs.

Channels continuation:
The deadeyes and chainplates have been added to the channels. The plans provide a template for the main channels showing eight shrouds, but the rigging plan only shows seven. I am going to use eight.

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4979.JPGIMG_4980.JPGIMG_4981.JPG

Hi Lawrence,
Thanks, the hand rails do look good, Porta’s drawing had them well detailed.
Mike

Back