HMY Fubbs by AEW

So, where did things go wrong, and what did it take to put things right?

Where it went wrong is shown in picture 1403. Why it went wrong is a bit harder to answer.

For some reason I decided that the top of the poop deck planking should be level with the top of the bulkhead break. That meant the forward set of poop deck beams fitted up against the bulkhead break as shown here:

PICT_F_2301
P1070085.JPG

This positioning didn’t obstruct the bulkhead break windows. It also determined the locations of the forward ends of the poop deck clamps.

At this point I thought all was well – then I built the entryway:

PICT_F_2302
P1070113.JPG

A dry fit of the parts, including the entry way, is shown in the last picture (2204) in my previous post and shows the problem.
The first part of the required response was easily identified, separate the poop deck beams from the bulkhead break. A following dry fit including the entryway showed where they should have been fitted together:

PICT_F_2303
P1070108.JPG

Note: I do remember seeing some discussion about the position of the entryway – whether it was built directly on the poop deck beams or on the poop deck planking.
I opted for the latter.

The thing I found odd was that the poop deck beams now ran across the top of the bulkhead break windows.

PICT_F_2304
P1070106.JPG

At this point, the bulkhead break no longer fitted! The fore poop deck beams had been lowered and the forward ends of the poop deck clamps were now too high. It took a while, but soaking the clamps, forward of the widows, released them from the hull.

PICT_F_2305
P1070114.JPG

Although I could now spring the poop deck clamps out of the way and fit the bulkhead break, I couldn’t glue the clamps in their new position as the top edge of the panelling was now in the way – but not for long!

PICT_F_2306
P1070103.JPG

With the panelling trimmed to the correct height, the poop deck clamps could now be glued in their new positions:

PICT_F_2307
P1070121.JPG

The following picture shows a dry fit of the bulkhead break:

PICT_F_2308
P1070122.JPG

Hopefully, things are now back on track.

Just a brief entry this time.
Fitting the steps would be easier before gluing the bulkhead break in place – but how would they line up following the modifications?
Remarkably well, the tops of the steps and of the quarterdeck planking were dead level. All that was required was to trim the top of the panelling to match:

PICT_F_2401
P1070129.JPG

The bulkhead break could finally be glued in place!

Next step would be to fit the poop deck waterways. This would be followed by short lengths of deck planking on each set of the poop deck beams, just to show how the deck would have been planked.
I’d already sized these pieces by working from the centre line but, just out of curiosity, I temporarily added some further planks to see how it looked:

PICT_F_2402
P1070134.JPG

Interesting, but only the three short sections in contact with the waterway will be staying.

Hoy, Ohhh what a beautiful choice. I remember seeing a article about the construction of this ship years ago by Father Ray Romano. The article was in Ships in Scale magazine. This model is so beautiful I bought the Magazine. When I get to my shop I will hoist more information for you. Have you seen the article I'm referring to? If not, you're in for a suprise! Hold my beer.

Reactions: aew
I know of it, but I haven't seen it. There are up to nine other builders who may not have seen it either.

I can't reach your beer!

I know of it, but I haven't seen it. There are up to nine other builders who may not have seen it either.

I can't reach your beer!
I'm still looking for the article, I found one about the Royal Caroline but I know I have the one built by Father Ray Romano. I'm still looking, I'm sorry for the delay.

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks.

James: Don't worry about it , time isn't an issue, it's not holding anything up!

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks.

James: Don't worry about it , time isn't an issue, it's not holding anything up!
I FOUND IT!!! I knew I had it but it's a multi part series. Sorry, I thought it was in one Magazine, it's in several. It's 'Ships in Scale' Magazine, Part one, May/June 1996. By Father William Romero. Part five is in the Jan/Feb1997 issue. The articles are extensive, too much to show. Alot of the carvings look hand carved but with todays 3D printers it should be a snap.
The smallest model I have ever built is from the measures and rig of the Fubbs. 1/800 scale. The photo shows the model over the top of the drawing I used to build it. I built these maybe ten - fifteen years ago? I gave several of them away. The larger version of it is just something I threw together with some decals I made, (had made)

20240612_213133.jpg

20240612_212923.jpg

20240612_212845.jpg

20240612_212856.jpg

20240612_212845.jpg

20240612_212856.jpg

Thanks for the pictures.

The models are certainly interesting, but I don't feel an urge to make any changes to my build.:)

Picking up where I left off last time, the dry fit worked OK, so here it is with the waterways glued in place:

PICT_F_2501
P1070135.JPG

I seem to have messed up the order of my photos here. I was looking for a picture of the hull and stern that showed the blue painting, but I couldn’t find one.
The following is one I took a couple of minutes ago. The ‘give away’ is that the cap rail has been fitted.

PICT_F_2502
P1070147.JPG

The cap rails have a slight bend so I soaked them with water and clamped them in place. I used a combination of side pieces of different thicknesses to position them correctly.

PICT_F_2503
P1070138.JPG

What I failed to notice was that the cap rail was slightly wider than the centre trim piece. A slight trim at the forward ends of the cap rails improved the fit.

PICT_F_2504
P1070145.JPG

I’m not going to fit the rails at this stage – I’d only break them!

The missing planking immediately under the quarterdeck is no longer missing.

Back