How did it work- sheets

This is a question on how did this work rather than how was it built. I'm looking at the "sheet" in Petersson's book of drawings (page 51). The standing end(hope that's right) is attached to the side of the hull and then it goes to a block on the clue and back down to a fixed block and through the bulwark. I think I read somewhere else that it was belayed on a cleat just inside the fixed block. So when they were using this thing did a bunch of sailors just grab the end of the sheet and pull or was it somehow hooked to the capstan to assist them? Was the capstan ever used to help with the running rigging?
Maybe there is a book that explains how they sailed these ships?

This is the mainstay. And was like you said standing rigging. Standing rigging was not used when you sailing. These kind of rigging was used to keep the mast in place. It was tensioned and keep in place. Sometimes the rope was belayed to the deck but could also knot to the lanyard itself.

IMG_2032.JPG

In the picture above you can see it is belayed on a cleat on the rope itself.

Usually the capstan was not necessary for handling the running rigging - you need more seamen for turning a capstan than for pulling a rope of the running rigging.

Capstan was used for lifting, f.e. boats or also the heavy yardarms, maybe to bring a sail upwards to the height of a yardarm etc.

Books about shiphandling:

and maybe also the 3rd and 4th book by Jean Boudriot

Thanks Uwe
Sorry Stephan, I have the Kindle version and I haven't figured out how to print from it. The last time I quoted from it I used the Kindle page number and that was wrong so this time I used the page number from the table of contents and I missed on that too. I'm a little shy about posting stuff from books but I guess I'll have to figure it out. Maybe "Prt Scr" will work.
Anyway thanks to both of you, that's been bugging me for quite a while.

Big sailors were praised for being able to ‘put a lot of weight on a line’. And that is exactly how many jobs were done on sailing ships — muscle power — and the skilled use of tackles for mechanical advantage.

Thanks Uwe
Sorry Stephan, I have the Kindle version and I haven't figured out how to print from it. The last time I quoted from it I used the Kindle page number and that was wrong so this time I used the page number from the table of contents and I missed on that too. I'm a little shy about posting stuff from books but I guess I'll have to figure it out. Maybe "Prt Scr" will work.
Anyway thanks to both of you, that's been bugging me for quite a while.
Hi Don, why not just use your mobile phone to take a picture of your kindle page

I have an Iphone and a PC and have had difficulty transferring pictures. I do have an old camera that I use for pictures so I could give that a try.......... I just tried it and it works, thank you.

Back