initial Soleil royal using the heller 1/100 scale kit (post prepared in advance)

Hello Guy, it looks very unusual and interesting, especially in comparison with how SR is usually presented in models!
Not clear, underwater part of the hull will be black?
If yes, why black color was choosen ?
All the best!!!

Nice. I didn't advanced on mine because I'm working onother kit I started last year. Mine will look quite different from your.

The black ( unpainted for the most of it) hull is because it will be a waterline display, but rather than butcher the hull, it will be ''sunk'' it the base with a undepainted plexiglass( to keep the plexi finsh on top)surounding it right up to the waterline; there might be a very thin whitish, greyish, greenish, brownish line which will show, but that's it.....

Nice. I didn't advanced on mine because I'm working onother kit I started last year. Mine will look quite different from your.
I hope:))) or else you'll be in for a ''no end'' build:))) if I would have known from the beginning how much time it would take I would have done it differently......
Hello Guy, it looks very unusual and interesting, especially in comparison with how SR is usually presented in models!
Not clear, underwater part of the hull will be black?
If yes, why black color was choosen ?
All the best!!!
This is a representation which is much closer to what the ship would have looked like; the current stereotype is a mish-mash of a 1690 period ship with the Puget/ Lebrun stern reproduced by tanneron.....As for the colors, if the first Royal Louis was white, and Lebrun was the artist to decorate the ship AND the Dauphin Royal AND the Soleil Royal ( the stern decor being modified by Puget ) chances are good that all three were actually white. In fact Sr. Dassie described the colors in a written comment at the time which says in french '' le noir, le blanc, le bleu et le ventre de biche, ses listons d'or et ses mantelets rouge vifs.....c'est un vaisseau magnifique'' Translated in English '' the black, the white, the blue and the ''beige'', its golden hull length moldings and the flashy red of its gun port doors...it is a magnificent ship''. The Heller kit did make a really wrong hull shapethough, even different than the Tanneron which it is based on... So forget stereotypes:)))))

White hull , blue and " golden" I saw somewhere... but that was a vessel of later period, and it was english if not mistaken...at least such combination for sure was used in the past ...

White hull , blue and " golden" I saw somewhere... but that was a vessel of later period, and it was english if not mistaken...at least such combination for sure was used in the past ...
The white was not exclusive to the French royal fleet; many nations used it before that; but, since the king had asked Le Brun to reflect the palais de versaille's decor on the three ships, and that le Brun used the white and gold combination quite a lot, that reflected on the ships; the Royal Louis was in fact all white with golden carvings, and the Dauphin royal also was on its first iteration; the blue only appeared on the Dauphin Royal and the Soleil Royal, except for the stern's face big board which was azurite blue on all the royal ships....

I like your blue color - yeees!
I have had a hard time reaching that hue:))) wasted a lot of paint on that and the ''ventre de biche'' beige so that it wouldn't be brown or tan, or be too close to the bronze or gold colors...It is quite close to the gold though, but at some point I could get something in between, all the color hues being too close...

So, tonight I have decided that since I have to do the other side, which some of the surgical work is already done, I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in having some tips for your own kit....I will take pics, and try to describe what is done...as best I can:))Then it will be up to the stern face, and the bow which will be a challenge....

As I understood this is the last one - LE SOLEIL ROYAL et les vaisseaux royaux de Louis XIV 11022023 ?
before I had LE SOLEIL ROYAL et les vaisseaux royaux de Louis XIV 06012023Thumbsup:rolleyes::)

Back