initial Soleil royal using the heller 1/100 scale kit (post prepared in advance)

Partly; it was the new trend in the 1690's but most ship at that period were painted red; the St-philippe of 1693 is a perfect example of that;
Thogh the blue most probably wasn't used in those scenarios, there may have been some exceptions; the blue came back ''in fashion'' after the pruusian blue was discovered in the very early 1700's (1715 by some accounts)....

Thinking about it, I think I'll do mine as a water line, it'll be easier to deal with the stern and I can still expose it on the heller stand (no obligation of a diorama). I wonder what tool people use for their waterline model.

Thinking about it, I think I'll do mine as a water line, it'll be easier to deal with the stern and I can still expose it on the heller stand (no obligation of a diorama). I wonder what tool people use for their waterline model.
I don't get that you make a waterline ship AND put it on the cheap heller stand......... That will definitely not look good;
If you want to make a waterline base, get youself a pice of transparent acrylic plastic and paint the reverse side blue, or whichever color you want, then stick your hull on the reflective side.....It's quite inexpensive and very easy to do.....If yo want, you can add a wood frame around it whenever you feel like it...

I don't see what's so wrong with displaying the model on the heller stand with a cutted lower hull, as said, it's not a obligation to give a base to a waterline model. I don't think the heller stand look cheap, tho now I'm thinking of only keeping the name plate, placing it in front of the model (? perhaps, a bit unsure what I'll do now).

This one's for Guy M, on page 25, 27, and 28 of the SR document, the area without yellow color are those in ocher? I prefer to ask to be sure I understood it.

Those diagrams only show a suggestion of where the gold should go; the rest is up to you and depends on what color pattern you choose; I did color anything so that people can understand there is a lot of flexibility for that own perspective; the only reference here is where the gold should be.....

Those diagrams only show a suggestion of where the gold should go; the rest is up to you and depends on what color pattern you choose; I did color anything so that people can understand there is a lot of flexibility for that own perspective; the only reference here is where the gold should be.....
As for the blue, since I imagine two shades of blue, one for the royal crests and one for the other surfaces, it gives an idea of where each shade should go; it also shoes where the potential red insert would be...

Ok thanks! I'll go for the 2 shades of blue and since I take in account the SR being sober than the royal louis, I think I'll only keep the moldings. I wonder what would be a good tool to cut through the hull (I got a cutter and a xacto knife, I don't think cisors should be used to cut through the hull). For the guns rigging, I'll do what this builder from MSW did on his SR, a much simpler approach for me https://modelshipworld.com/topic/12...er-1100-17th-century-ship-of-the-line/page/2/

Last edited:
Well, on that point, I think each of us will have his/her own way to rig the cannons; I guess some will go through the trouble of doing all of them, an others will only do the ones which actually show.
What exactly do you mean by only keeping the moldings?

The problem with using the Heller base, in this application, is that the aft support posts are necessarily higher to accommodate the hollow of the draft. If you were to display a waterline model, in this way, it would be tilted forward in an unnatural way.

I had access to a wood shop, so I cut away my lower hull with a bandsaw. The shell plastic is much too thick to cut with razor knives or scissors. You could manage it with a hand-held coping saw, but it will likely involve a fair amount of clean-up to the waterline.

I managed to cut through a panther hull with a knife, tho I was sure it wouldn't work on a SR, I don't mind cleaning up to have something clean. Forthe guns, I intend to rig only the visible one on the 3rd battery and add details like hubac did on his SR.

On the port lids, I wonder why do most build of 1669 or 1692 SR only show them with the fleur de lys rather than a mix of symbols like the royal louis. Is it because SR was sober than the RL? I wonder if their inside would be the same or different as the 1693 SR, I'll use them as a opportunity to train with milliput too.

Since there are no details on any of the Soleil Royals, the Royal Louis pattern of symbols can be used, or simply use fleur de lys on all the door lids; Or any other combination which makes sense in relation to the ship's decor...

The way I did mine since I had already completed the build was while resting on the Heller stand I created 2 hull profile templates and transferred those to Styrofoam that I set into a raised wooden base, I believe about 2", then used paintable chaulk to create the water, once done I simply set the completed ship into the base.
Michael D.

For mine, I think I'll "simply" cut the lower hull and do a plate like what hubac did on his SR. Next week, I'll see if my grand dad doesn't have tools I can use to cut through the hull since he has a workshop for wood.

GuyM I did not cut hull, once I set the 2 styrofoam pieces into the base you essentially have a cut out that matches the shape of the ships hull at the correct waterline height.

Michael D.

GuyM I did not cut hull, once I set the 2 styrofoam pieces into the base you essentially have a cut out that matches the shape of the ships hull at the correct waterline height.

Michael D.
Yes, it's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure:)) I'm planning to use a corrugated flat piece where I will make a line to the hull's shape at the waterline level, then cut out the center piece, adjust it through fitting tries, then transfer the final shape on a 1/8 inch plexiglasspainted underside so I can keep the reflection of it; then I'll sit the whole ship inside that formed hole on a bottom wood piece; the plexiglass will be supported on all the side by a piece of wood which goes all around the base wood plank and closed on the outside all around ....I may fabricated a full plexiglass display case to keep the dust out of the ship:)

Back