Jaguar c-type engine. 1/8 scale

Well you asked for a build log on building a 1/8 scale Jaguar c-type engine, so here goes!
I've always had a love of the Jaguar c-type cars, which first appeared in 1951. They were built as a successor to the SS90 and SS100, and William Lyons, the owner of Jaguar, entered three 'pre-production' cars into the 1951 Le Mans race. Two cars retired, but the third went on to win. The car went in to general production in 1952, and in 1953 the factory built a number of special lightweight cars that went on to take 1st, 2nd and 4th in the Le Mans race that year. Production ceased in 1953 when the even faster D-type came out, but with the same engine.
This model is of the 1951 engine, with twin SU carbs.
To my mind this is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced, especially when you consider it was a sports tourer but very capable in competition.
The following four pictures are of the 1952 production model, using the twin-carb 3.5 litre engine. I bought this model last year. It is to 1/18 scale, only about nine inches long (225mm), but as you can see, it is exquisitely put together by a German company, CMC GmbH & Co. KG. Their website is www.cmc-modelcars.de As you may imagine, their cars are not cheap, but the detail at this scale is incredible - even the brake lines and the headlights wiring are there!
As you can see, the styling is superb, and this is for a car designed nearly 70 years ago!

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

Well, on to the engine. The kit comes from another German company, 'Autograph' - web address www.autographmodel.com
I bought this kit about five years ago after seeing it being built on the Lauck Street Shipyard forum. Unfortunately, all the posts from that time have been lost, and I can't for the life of me remember who it was that was building it! If that member is on the SOS forum, please get in touch!
The follwing photos are from the Autograph website, and show me what I have to aim for. Remember this model is to 1/8 scale and comes out at about eight inches long. (200mm).

autograph-1-8-engine-kit-jaguar-c-type-le-mans-1951.jpgautograph-1-8-engine-kit-jaguar-c-type-le-mans-1951_3.jpgAutograph-1-8-Motorbausatz-JAGUAR-C-Type-Le-Mans-1951_1_b12 (1).jpg

The engine is built from white metal castings, with more fragile parts in bronze and nickel silver. There are also three sheets of photo-etched 'German Silver', an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel.

I'm going to leave this there, as SWMBO needs my assistance, so we'll get on to actual construction of the model in the next post.

Ted

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ted,
Beautifully made model car and at 1/18th scale incredible amount of detail.
Very convincing model engine looks like it would run, I am looking forward to seeing this build.
One book comes to mind, The complete car modeller written by Gerald Wingrove.
Cheers,
Stephen.

Well you asked for a build log on building a 1/8 scale Jaguar c-type engine, so here goes!
I've always had a love of the Jaguar c-type cars, which first appeared in 1951. They were built as a successor to the SS90 and SS100, and William Lyons, the owner of Jaguar, entered three 'pre-production' cars into the 1951 Le Mans race. Two cars retired, but the third went on to win. The car went in to general production in 1952, and in 1953 the factory built a number of special lightweight cars that went on to take 1st, 2nd and 4th in the Le Mans race that year. Production ceased in 1953 when the even faster D-type came out, but with the same engine.
To my mind this is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced, especially when you consider it was a sports tourer but very capable in competition.
The following four pictures are of the 1952 production model, using the twin-carb 3.5 litre engine. I bought this model last year. It is to 1/18 scale, only about nine inches long (225mm), but as you can see, it is exquisitely put together by a German company, CMC GmbH & Co. KG. Their website is www.cmc-modelcars.de As you may imagine, their cars are not cheap, but the detail at this scale is incredible - even the brake lines and the headlights wiring are there!
As you can see, the styling is superb, and this is for a car designed nearly 70 years ago!

View attachment 174182

View attachment 174183

View attachment 174184

View attachment 174185

Well, on to the engine. The kit comes from another German company, 'Autograph' - web address www.autographmodel. com
I bought this kit about five years ago after seeing it being built on the Lauck Street Shipyard forum. Unfortunately, all the posts from that time have been lost, and I can't for the life of me remember who it was that was building it! If that member is on the SOS forum, please get in touch!
The follwing photos are from the Autograph website, and show me what I have to aim for. Remember this model is to 1/8 scale and comes out at about eight inches long. (200mm).

View attachment 174194View attachment 174195View attachment 174196

The engine is built from white metal castings, with more fragile parts in bronze and nickel silver. There are also three sheets of photo-etched 'German Silver', an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel.

I'm going to leave this there, as SWMBO needs my assistance, so we'll get on to actual construction of the model in the next post.

Ted
Very interesting to see another friend here collecting model cars from cmc !!!!
I have a relatively big collection of these models from cmc in scale 1:24 and 1:18, but also some in 1:12 - high quality and I can recommend them completely.
Some 2 two years ago I stopped collecting them, because to get a full collection it is getting extremely expensive and you can buy a real 1:1 classic car.

This is one side of my hobby room with the model cars Mainly from cmc
IMG_1867.jpg

The engine model is looking great and I will try to get one of these kits - big scale model kits of classic motors are very rare......

I will follow with big and bigger interest

Very interesting to see another friend here collecting model cars from cmc !!!!
I have a relatively big collection of these models from cmc in scale 1:24 and 1:18, but also some in 1:12 - high quality and I can recommend them completely.
Some 2 two years ago I stopped collecting them, because to get a full collection it is getting extremely expensive and you can buy a real 1:1 classic car.

This is one side of my hobby room with the model cars Mainly from cmc
View attachment 174433

The engine model is looking great and I will try to get one of these kits - big scale model kits of classic motors are very rare......

I will follow with big and bigger interest
Hi Uwe, that's quite a collection! I don't have many cars in my collection, just the Jaguar and a complete set of MG TF cars in scales from 1/24 right up to 1/1 - that's right, 1/1!
I built myself a 'model' MG TF 37 years ago, based on a Triumph Spitfire donor car.
She's got more than 100,000 miles on the clock now.

IMG_5360b.jpg

On a more serious note, the Jaguar engine is superb, and is still available, if rather pricey. It would make a superb addition to your collection!

Ted

Ted,

Very nice. CMC do great work. I have 10 of their issues, including their open frames examples to match their finished examples.
I Look forward to your progress. As Stephen stated The Complete Car Modeller written by Gerald Wingrove is brilliant. You must be familiar with his work as well; arguably the best in the world.
Here is another example of a CMC product -- sharing for other members who may not know of CMC, but have an interest in 1/18th super scaled automobiles.

Regards,

IMG_1944.jpgIMG_1945.jpgIMG_1946.jpg

View attachment 174182

View attachment 174183

View attachment 174184

View attachment 174185

Well, on to the engine. The kit comes from another German company, 'Autograph' - web address www.autographmodel. com

View attachment 174194View attachment 174195View attachment 174196

Ted
I will be watching this with much interest as I am working on a 1/8 XKE by Monogram, all plastic but I stole the kit for $20. all complete and sealed bags. Here is photo of in process engine. I will try to get some better photos.
GetAttachmentThumbnail copy.jpg

On a more serious note, the Jaguar engine is superb, and is still available, if rather pricey. It would make a superb addition to your collection!
Ted
Hallo Ted,
your TF is looking great - I am thinking to sell (better my wife is telling me) to sell my toys and buy a real one - maybe the MG A or what I like very much is the Volvo P1800 - let us see.....
Referring the kit of the Jaguar motor: I checked the given webpage and there is written "in moment not available" - so I sent a mail to them - Let us wait and cross all fingers...... or do you have another source where to get this kit?
Good luck - I will follow your log with high interest

Hallo Ted,
your TF is looking great - I am thinking to sell (better my wife is telling me) to sell my toys and buy a real one - maybe the MG A or what I like very much is the Volvo P1800 - let us see.....
Referring the kit of the Jaguar motor: I checked the given webpage and there is written "in moment not available" - so I sent a mail to them - Let us wait and cross all fingers...... or do you have another source where to get this kit?
Good luck - I will follow your log with high interest
Hi Uwe,
As far as I know, you can only get them from CMC direct, and they seem to have run in to a few problems with Covid-19, in that practically everything they advertise seems to be out of stock!

Ted

Back