Jaguar c-type engine. 1/8 scale

And so we come to the end of the build!
Managed a lot more work since my last post, and finished it a couple of days ago. No particular problems.
I was surprised at how long it actually took to finish the engine - I started in August and finished in December. Now I'm not the fastest of builders by any means, and only have very limited time to actually get in to the workshop, but if you reckon on an average of perhaps an hour a day, it runs into about 120 hours. Nothing compared to Natterer or King's Fisher, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the build.
Anyway, please enjoy the pictures!

Ted

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG
On the optional display trolley. I love the clutch mechanism - agricultural!

1609417860776.png
And finally, a shot in hand to give an idea of the size of the model.
Please ignore the scratches on my hand - inflicted by Treacletart (don't ask) as we were playing on the floor. But she said she was sorry, so that's OK.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 3
Managed a lot more work since my last post, and finished it a couple of days ago. No particular problems.
I was surprised at how long it actually took to finish the engine - I started in August and finished in December. Now I'm not the fastest of builders by any means, and only have very limited time to actually get in to the workshop, but if you reckon on an average of perhaps an hour a day, it runs into about 120 hours. Nothing compared to Natterer or King's Fisher, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the build.

Ted

View attachment 202574

View attachment 202575

View attachment 202576

View attachment 202577

View attachment 202578

View attachment 202579

View attachment 202580

View attachment 202581
Please ignore the scratches on my hand - inflicted by Treacletart (don't ask) as we were playing on the floor. But she said she was sorry, so that's OK.
Looks magnificent Ted,

I hope that clutch doesn't have very heavy springs otherwise you would need a sturdy left leg!!

Are you sure the cat wasn't complaining that there isn't a car to go around the lovely engine, haha.

Beautiful build and thanks for sharing it.

Are there ay more models on the way?

Cheers,
Stephen.

You may have seen this before but for a beautiful car and some great sounds watch this

Vintage modeler
That's why I love this engine! Always sounds superb!
Many thanks for the link
Now if I could just shoehorn one into my MGTF replica it would keep me happy, because I'll never be able to afford a real C-type (Could maybe manage an XK120 if SWMBO wasn't looking?)

Regards

Ted

IMG_5360b.jpg

Last edited:

Ted

View attachment 202574

View attachment 202575

View attachment 202576

View attachment 202577

View attachment 202578

View attachment 202579

View attachment 202580

View attachment 202581
Hi Ted,
It’s a beautyfull big engine with nice details.
Thanxs for sharing.
Regards, Peter

I know it seems so ridiculous today but then in the middle of winter I was glad to get $75. There was nothing wrong with it and he drove it away. I paid $900. and had it all thru college. I also had a Mark VII Saloon for several years before that.

Well you asked for a build log on building a 1/8 scale Jaguar c-type engine, so here goes!
I've always had a love of the Jaguar c-type cars, which first appeared in 1951. They were built as a successor to the SS90 and SS100, and William Lyons, the owner of Jaguar, entered three 'pre-production' cars into the 1951 Le Mans race. Two cars retired, but the third went on to win. The car went in to general production in 1952, and in 1953 the factory built a number of special lightweight cars that went on to take 1st, 2nd and 4th in the Le Mans race that year. Production ceased in 1953 when the even faster D-type came out, but with the same engine.
This model is of the 1951 engine, with twin SU carbs.
To my mind this is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced, especially when you consider it was a sports tourer but very capable in competition.
The following four pictures are of the 1952 production model, using the twin-carb 3.5 litre engine. I bought this model last year. It is to 1/18 scale, only about nine inches long (225mm), but as you can see, it is exquisitely put together by a German company, CMC GmbH & Co. KG. Their website is www.cmc-modelcars.de As you may imagine, their cars are not cheap, but the detail at this scale is incredible - even the brake lines and the headlights wiring are there!
As you can see, the styling is superb, and this is for a car designed nearly 70 years ago!

View attachment 174182

View attachment 174183

View attachment 174184

View attachment 174185

Well, on to the engine. The kit comes from another German company, 'Autograph' - web address www.autographmodel.com
I bought this kit about five years ago after seeing it being built on the Lauck Street Shipyard forum. Unfortunately, all the posts from that time have been lost, and I can't for the life of me remember who it was that was building it! If that member is on the SOS forum, please get in touch!
The follwing photos are from the Autograph website, and show me what I have to aim for. Remember this model is to 1/8 scale and comes out at about eight inches long. (200mm).

View attachment 174194View attachment 174195View attachment 174196

The engine is built from white metal castings, with more fragile parts in bronze and nickel silver. There are also three sheets of photo-etched 'German Silver', an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel.

I'm going to leave this there, as SWMBO needs my assistance, so we'll get on to actual construction of the model in the next post.

Ted
Hallo Ted alias @tedboat
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake
How is the status of your engine project?

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Ted! Lovely day today, is it? Birthday-Cake Wishing you many more years of happy and healthy modeling life

Back