Japanese temple: Byodoin Hououdo Foenix Hall (Kyoto) (Woody Joe)

Hello,

After some small additions, the first floor of the left wing is ready. Only some beams on top of the roof tiles need to be added, but they will be build after the tower is completed.

Here is the latest picture.

1605005577587.jpeg

Now I'll start with the right wing. It should be quite straight forward since I have found most of the solutions for the different elements of the construction. When I'm ready I will be back...

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello,

Just a little update. Unfortunately there has been some delay in my progress due to the decease of a family member, but I managed to do some repetitive stuff with the roofpanels: painting, gluing paper strips, cutting of the ends and painting the ends yellow. Some 350 strips... It is just funny that won't see most of it because you cannot get your head so deep under the roof, but anyway, it is there for 1:75 scale visitors!

1605897823361.jpeg

Just to do something different, I constructed the foundation of the wings and the central hall. Mot really complicated, but it gives you a good impression of the dimensions of the complex.

D90708D8-36C4-4AC0-9287-88DFABCB2E5A_1_201_a.jpeg

4A9F6339-067B-4799-B55F-FF323455241D_1_201_a.jpeg

7FEC9752-0D93-449B-A7F4-AB7D6BE36826_1_201_a.jpeg

A print of a forrest edge on some A4's is just a preliminary test of a possible background.

D96E2890-6E97-44E4-8E81-78A051FD316D_1_201_a.jpeg

The next jobs will be to paint the foundation and do some weathering and to finish the roof from the North wing.

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello,

Last days I made some progress. I tried to report earlier, but there were problems with getting the pictures in the log, so I had to figure out how to do it properly. I think I found the way now ...

Here are the pictures.

IMG_6869.jpeg
This is the foundation painted in white primer. It will be painted in light grey with some weathering, but that is for later.

Then I glued all the different panels up and below the roof. The challenge is to get the patterns corresponding to each other, but the dimensions are so accurate that that is not a great problem.

IMG_6864 2.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

and the panels on the faces below the roof with the white paper strips.

IMG_6857.jpeg

Finally I could go to the next part, the two towers on corners of the wings.
It starts with a square core on which you glue all the components. That one is colored white.

IMG_6886.jpeg

IMG_6887.jpeg

The panels around the core have basically a red color, but some elements are white or green.

They are not very big, so I really had to paint them with a magnifying glass, but they came out all right. I decided to do this delicate painting while the panels were still in the original frame. The rest will be painted red and quite a lot of extras will be added to it.

IMG_6890.jpeg

Finally I made a cardboard monk on scale (23,3 mm), to get an idea of the scale. Here you see him between the columns, proud of his new building!

IMG_6883.jpeg

That's it for today,

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello,

Today was very productive! First I painted all the little parts for the tower faces and finished the painting of the panels. It was very helpful to stick them to some masking tape because they are very small and fragile.

IMG_6892.jpeg

IMG_6894.jpeg

Then the panels could be hooked in each other and glued to the core. Before that I put some small beams in the designated holes for the roof construction later.

IMG_6898.jpeg

IMG_6899.jpeg

Now the columns could be placed, half ones in the middle and full ones on the corners. They were connected with horizontal beams. It fitted perfectly and I like the detail of the whole thing.

IMG_6900.jpeg

IMG_6901.jpeg

IMG_6902.jpeg

I hope that tomorrow the visible glue will have disappeared, but I have to do some red tipping on the ends where the parts were in the original frame, so it will be nice. These photos are so brutal in revealing the smallest specs... but that we have all experienced, haha!

to be continued...
Gijsbert

WOW.... AMAZING. Thank you for sharing this built at SOS. What will it be the final "floor plan size" of the kit ? Looks that will need a big space at the house.

Thanks !!
Daniel

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for you response! I think it will be somewhere around 80 x 50 cm. I don't know exactly because I would like some scenery around it, it could be even larger...

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for you response! I think it will be somewhere around 80 x 50 cm. I don't know exactly because I would like some scenery around it, it could be even larger...

Thank you !! I will follow your build. I found it looking around SOS something knew to read about. I got a model ship kit from Woody Joe that came boxed as your temple. I saw those temples at the Woody Joe site when I was buying the kit. But I never ever imagined they had such complexity to be built. Beside, your modeling skills are outstanding.

Cheers
Daniel

Hello,

Thanks Daniel, I do my best to honor the quality of the kit and make it beautiful. You should really try one of these! The painting really adds so much!!!

I made some progress I will show you here.
First I made the balconies of the towers and painted them. They are really fragile and I have lost a small post in the fence. I hid it in the back :) and no one will ever see that except me, haha.

IMG_6909.jpeg

IMG_6910.jpeg

Then I assembled the roof construction and glued the curved beams that support the roof around the construction. They are painted red and eventually they will be decorated with the white paper strip.

Then a dry fit of the tower on the roof. It already looks amazing...

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6925.jpeg

As with the lower floors, here too the yellow strip, suggesting the yellow painted ends of the floor beams is added.

IMG_6929.jpeg

Just to give you an idea of the many details, the tower from below and aboveIMG_6931.jpeg

IMG_6932.jpeg
Now I am ready to finish the roofs.

Quite a lot of panels, the red ones (on the left) will be all completed with the white paper strips and yellow ends and the grey ones (on the right) are to become the roof tiles. They will be cut in a triangular shape, for which a template is available.

IMG_6933.jpeg

IMG_6934.jpeg

I now know what is ahead of me!

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Attachments

• IMG_6913.jpeg
    IMG_6913.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6915.jpeg
    IMG_6915.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
That is amazing !!!

Definitely i will love to built one. Retirement isn't too far. Only 3 more years and I already have stocked ship kits for a few years. I will seriously think about these temples too.

Let those pictures come .... love them !!!

Best
Daniel

That is amazing !!!

Definitely i will love to built one. Retirement isn't too far. Only 3 more years and I already have stocked ship kits for a few years. I will seriously think about these temples too.

Let those pictures come .... love them !!!

Best
Daniel

Daniel,
get there safe and sound and you will feel like this.. oooooommmmm....

.amida-1053AD-byodo-in-temple-mid.jpeg

Hello,

Thank you for the support and likes!
I am getting to the point where the finishing of both the wings is in sight. All the paper strips on the roofpanels are fixed, just the yellow ends must be pained and than they can be glued to the roof. Also the white strips below the roof are glued.

IMG_6979.jpeg

IMG_6980.jpeg

Also the beams on the top of the roof are assembled. They need some shaping to make make them into one smooth part and painting them grey will finish them nicely.

IMG_6936.jpeg

IMG_6935.jpeg

In this phase I could not resist to study the Central Hall. With some masking tape I temporarily made the walls and the fence in the entrance.

IMG_6981.jpeg

IMG_6982.jpeg

The purpose was to get an idea of the height of the Buddha statue inside the hall. It is just looking through the opening in the fence. Like this...

byo-douin002.jpeg

The statue itself with the base will look something like this...

amida-sitting-H27-hinoki-three-views-TN.jpeg

But this will be discussed in a later post.

to be continued...
Gijsbert

GIJSBERT..... that Buda statue come with the kit ?

I just showed the thread to my wife. She is fascinated with your job and details. As I am writing in my phone she is checking on her iPad what temples are at Woody Joe site... . Now she is taking a look to a Japanese Castel ... Ja ja ja. :)

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: My wife is fascinated looking Woody Joe site and what is there. Last time I only showed her the model ship section. :) .

GIJSBERT..... that Buda statue come with the kit ?

I just showed the thread to my wife. She is fascinated with your job and details. As I am writing in my phone she is checking on her iPad what temples are at Woody Joe site... . Now she is taking a look to a Japanese Castel ... Ja ja ja. :)

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: My wife is fascinated looking Woody Joe site and what is there. Last time I only showed her the model ship section. :) .
Hi Daniel,
No, the statue is not with the kit, so I was looking for a 3D print file to have it printed somewhere. I have found one and I am curious how it looks. It is not the Buddha from this temple, but the hughe statue of the Kamakura Buddha in Japan. I think it looks quite similar, maybe I tweek it a little bit, but it is only 34 mm high and behing the fence. The base I will make myself.

I suggested Woody Joe to add the statue to the program, maybe they will... Without it, the temple has no "soul" and is empty!

The castles are also amazing... I was most attracted to the Matsumoto castle. How nice it is to share this hobby with your wife. Mine is into embroidery...

Cheers
Gijsbert

Hi Daniel,
No, the statue is not with the kit, so I was looking for a 3D print file to have it printed somewhere. I have found one and I am curious how it looks. It is not the Buddha from this temple, but the hughe statue of the Kamakura Buddha in Japan. I think it looks quite similar, maybe I tweek it a little bit, but it is only 34 mm high and behing the fence. The base I will make myself.

I suggested Woody Joe to add the statue to the program, maybe they will... Without it, the temple has no "soul" and is empty!

The castles are also amazing... I was most attracted to the Matsumoto castle. How nice it is to share this hobby with your wife. Mine is into embroidery...

Cheers
Gijsbert

My wife have the plants hobby (Succulents). I have like a thousand all around the house and in small sectors, like in the picture, growing them with artificial light. But also she loves all these modeling stuff and she paints very well to. She also like hand embroidery and have done some very beautiful stuff.

I do not see her building a temple. BUT you never know ..... but is good that she likes what I do...... so I can spent money on new kits .... JA JA JA :) :) :)

20201113_175451.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Love it !!!! .

No i do not know Dutch. We lived almost 2 years in Belgium (Dilbeek) at the Flemish speaking site, where I learned a few words. They are gone now from my memory. We visited the Netherlands several times during that period. And my wife, still today does not stop talking about your skills to grow and the varieties of plants you have..... Mainly in Amsterdam at those "specialty growing mushrooms and plants shops " ... what a variety.... JA JA JA :)

Ok... have a nice Sunday afternoon there. It was nice to have a little bit of fun !!

Cheers
Daniel

Hello,

Some progress to report.

First of all there is the Buddha statue. I made the choice to have it 3D printed, so that meant that I had to find a file on the internet. At first I chose the Kamakura Buddha, a huge statue in Japan, but I made a stupid mistake while ordering, so I was happy I could cancel it in time. After some thought I decided to go to for another statue, but there were some issues with the printing technology which the 3D printing company alarmed me about. Yet I decided (with the advice of an expert in the family) to have it printed anyway. So the result will be known in a couple of days. Here are some pictures

266px-Kamakura_Budda_Daibutsu_front_1885.jpeg the Kamakura Buddha

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-30 om 16.38.22.png The Buddha I chose eventually.

ol7561614-7561614.png
The areas where there could be a problem indicated by Shapeways (www.shapeways.com), where I have it printed. Since it is a statue of only 34 mm high, I expected that the problems could be (easily?) worked away with some green stuff.

After having ordered the statue, I went on with the towers.
First all the lower roofpanels were given some yellow dots at the ends of the beams,

IMG_6990.jpeg

The the first rows were glued to the roof. One more row of smaller panels comes afterward.

IMG_6995.jpeg

Also the rooftiles were placed, first to be cut with the help of a piece of carton supplied in the kit. It fitted perfectly, especially considering the curled-up corners of the roof.

IMG_7002.jpeg

IMG_6996.jpeg

Just to satisfy my curiosity...

IMG_6999.jpeg

It really looks nice!

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Attachments

• IMG_6994.jpeg
    IMG_6994.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 0
Back