Japanese temple: Byodoin Hououdo Foenix Hall (Kyoto) (Woody Joe)

Hello,

I am a happy man!!!

Today 2 (!) Buddha statues arrived, apparently they produced the first statue, although they emailed me that there might be some troubles. After a gave the permission to print it anyway, they made the second and send them both in separate boxes! Great service and a beautiful quality. But judge for yourself.

They are really small (only 34 mm high), but compared with the monk on proper scale they look really impressive!

IMG_7033.jpeg

IMG_7038.jpeg

IMG_7031.jpeg

to be continued...
gijsbert

Hello,

Today I have done some work on the Buddha statue. First I painted it gold and then I put some black wash on it, which really added contours and realism to the statue. The difference between the unpainted statue and the painted one speaks for itself.

IMG_7057.jpeg

IMG_7064.jpeg

IMG_7065.jpeg

I am not really bothered by the "grainy" surface that you see on the enlarged picture here above. On scale it isn't disturbing at all and the statue is located inside the Central Hall and hidden behing a grate.

The grate I painted with a very dark brown color as well as the wall behind the statue. It is very hard to get a sharp picture of the statue with my telephone because it focusses constantly on the grate. I used the white statue to get a better idea of the height of the base.

IMG_7059.jpeg

IMG_7060.jpeg

IMG_7066.jpeg

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello,

First of all, thanks for the comments and the likes!

Both wings are nearing the finish. Today I did the last jobs on the little towers and finished the beams on the roofs of the towers and the panels under the roof.

IMG_7086.jpeg

IMG_7089.jpeg

IMG_7088.jpeg

So, it's time for a another picture of the whole complex so far.

IMG_2165.jpeg

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

IMG_2167.jpeg

Only the beams on the lower roofs of the wing need te be installed and then I can concentrate on the Central Hall with the lighting and the Buddha with its base.

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello all,

As the Big Builder said on dec 9 of the year 2020: "LED there be Light" the Buddha state was truly enlightened from then on!

A 9V battery, 6 white LED's and a 330 Ohm resistor did the trick... for me a real achievement because I had never done something like that (and it is really simple in hindsight :))

IMG_7117.jpeg

IMG_7122.jpeg

IMG_7128.jpeg

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for the likes and comments, it really gives me a warm feeling in these cold winter days...

I have finally started to work on the Central Hall. First of all I made the extension in the back and painted the whole central core of the construction white. Also the first parts of the construction were painted in the beautiful red color.

IMG_7131.jpeg

IMG_7130.jpeg

Then I had to do some work on the LED lighting. I needed some extra light because I thought it was a little bit too dark in the interior and I wanted to make it easy to assemble and disassemble, so that it would not be a bother when I was building.
Therefore I made two wooden panels with the lamps, wiring and the resistor on it and made it so that they can slide between two little woodstrips. That makes it easy when I need to fix something in the future.

IMG_7132.jpeg

IMG_7133.jpeg

That's it for today!

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello all,

Today I finished the lighting in the hall and I am really happy with it. In the end I put in some extra lamps (8 in total now), put them a bit lower and at another angle so the statue could be placed a bit more in the front and I replaced the battery with an 18V adapter. Now it is perfectly illuminated!

IMG_7136.jpeg

IMG_7138.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

It is now time to continue with the woodwork that has to be placed against the central core. I fixed them temporarily with masking tape with the sticky side up on a board to paint all the parts red.

IMG_7139.jpeg

IMG_7140.jpeg

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Buddha, sitting on his sheet, seems very happy!
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter,

He is just as happy as the Big Builder. And he isn't even sitting on his official golden lotus flowers!!!

(Which is just a new challenge for me..., how do I build this base, especially the curved lotus petals???)

439C0208-E08D-414A-B086-C9E159AEAA26_4_5005_c.jpeg

Back