Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Hi Michael! I was expecting you to ask if I made these with sandpaper ROTF...

Yes, I do believe carving/shaping is much more satisfying using hardwoods. I sometimes see posts on build logs that say something like, "it's all fuzzy but you can't see it in real life." And even if that is true (hmm...), I would struggle working with soft stock. Given the amount of time invested I would advocate for using the best materials you can afford.

BTW: true boxwood (European boxwood) is really no longer available (or so I have been told). You will see it on various build reports but that is old stock coming from someone's stash of dried timber. What we have available today is a genetic relative but is quite a bit softer than the real thing. I am using Castello boxwood which is just a bit harder than pearwood - but about 40% softer than the real thing (but still 50% harder than cherry - and almost 3x harder than the limewood most kits provide).

Anyway, different species of woods have their proper place in our hobby - but the tighter the grain and the harder the wood the easier it is to carve and shape (oh, and the magic happens when you have a blue background ROTFROTFROTF).
I’m getting a blue background today….need some magical assistance….

Good afternoon Paul. Wow! You have “outdone yourself “ yet again. Reading through the chats, I’m sure the correct tools and using the beautiful boxwood makes for good work however, to produce this level of detail and accuracy one needs skills…. You have plenty.
Cheers Grant

Very good work on the bitts - I recognized once more, that I nee also such a blue background -> very good photos of these details
Having a past as professional photographer (days of film, chemicals and paper) a background can be as simple as hanging an ironed bed sheet from bookcase or curtain rods to act as background, blocking the images behind it.

Well a slip of the fingers, it is corrected, but since when is the combination Ortodontist and Jockey not possible??:):);)
When the jockey falls off the race horse, cracks his teeth, goes to the Ortodondist and says can you fix my teeth. The Orthodontist says “come back when you can use spell correct” ROTF.

Back