Kit-Bashing the King of the Mississippi Riverboat (7/21/20)

I, too, lived in LA many years ago when the Preservation Hall was still going strong. In the French Quarter for about 6 months while working in the area. I loved the Quarter.

I was up in Alexandria (England AFB) for most part of 18 years, with a two year break in Shreveport (Barksdale AFB) and one year in good old Korea, just to get a bit time abroad!

In 92 they closed the base in Alexandria and I move to OKC (Tinker AFB) and retired from USAF in Y2K!

We go back to Alexandria every year or so to visit friends and family, as my wife is local to Alexandria.

I've found it very interesting that about most modelers, worldwide, are military men and women. I was once a sailor myself. Made two tours to Nam back in the late 60's.

Hi guys,
I think I have a problem and don't know what to do about it.
Ready? The bottom of the hull is made up of two pieces. The rear or back of these pieces need to be sanded to an angle to match the stern of the boat. But when placed in the proper position the front/bow is waaaay off.

View attachment 167037

The stern to be sanded to that angle

View attachment 167038

The bow is waaay off!

What should I do??? Is this an anomaly of the kit?
I can cut off about a 1/2" or so of the two bottom pieces then sand the bow to mold in. Is that what I'm supposed to do?

Hi

I hope these pictures help you a little. I started this kit more than 20 years ago and have been traveling with my around the world in this stage. I will finish it when I retire. Just in case I have lost something, I was able to find at eBay a full unopened kit 3 months ago, like you. Stop the Bla, Bla Daniel and post those pictures :)

20200724_161301.jpg20200724_161315.jpg20200724_161351.jpg20200724_161403.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Before sanding the bow, place the keel to check how it fits. It is strange that AL be so way off.

Stupid of me, I boxed the kit again after taking the pictures for you. But I can go back and take a look to the instructions pictures/text and drawings. No problem at all.

I love this kit. I also got the new AL version because it has many different details.

I am following your thread. I like very much what your are doing.

Best
Daniel

I think I see why you are way off.

Looking your stern picture, i think it has to be pushed to the front. The floor, probably, has to finish flush (the upper part) and then you sand the bottom to take the excess and shape it.

In that way you will be able to plank the hull like my pictures (see the angle at the stern of my planking).

Screenshot_20200724-164405_Chrome.jpg

That was a screen shot of your picture

Do you see what I meant ?

I hope I am OK. To be 100% sure I will need to go back to the instruction pictures and drawings.

If you haven't glued it yet, check my suggestion.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Of course you can make any changes to kit design since you are making a slightly different design of the boat overall.

You are correct Kurt. But I understood he will keep the hull as it is. If he is able to correct that small issue without doing a lot of sanding will be great. For some reason I remember that it wasn't as easy as I though the planking of this hull. But that was sooo many years back.

Cheers
Daniel

HI Rick, seems like we are almost neighbors as I am in Mississippi. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this kit even though I have been wanting to buy this one for a long time. I wish I could see the plans. This would help a lot. The only thing I can think of is to make sure that you do not have some type of stern piece or Bow piece that TAKES UP that extra space. Kind of hard to explain what I am talking about. I think something else might be going on. I am thinking that you should NOT have that much wood sticking out - something else is going on here. I can see maybe 1/8" less or more. But not the excess that I see here.

Ok.... I went again to my kit. The old King of Mississippi version was without pictures. Just plans.

But !!! The new version has the booklet with pictures.

The problem was as I wrote. The floor needs to be moved to the back. The back has to finish flushed to the false keel. Then you sand to shape the bottom.

20200725_113507.jpg20200725_113558.jpg20200725_113343.jpg20200725_113349.jpg

20200725_114701.jpg

20200725_115355.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
HI Rick, seems like we are almost neighbors as I am in Mississippi. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this kit even though I have been wanting to buy this one for a long time. I wish I could see the plans. This would help a lot. The only thing I can think of is to make sure that you do not have some type of stern piece or Bow piece that TAKES UP that extra space. Kind of hard to explain what I am talking about. I think something else might be going on. I am thinking that you should NOT have that much wood sticking out - something else is going on here. I can see maybe 1/8" less or more. But not the excess that I see here.
I spent ten years in Tunica, MS as a poker dealer. Hi neighbor.

I notice that your version has 'guides' on where to assemble the individual pieces. My model has no guides. (Pins and Holes) I have to slide the pieces around until they look right then glue 'em and hope it was right.

Do you meant guides where do you have to place the bulkheads ?

I have another vintage like
your model unused. I can go and take a look to that one. I can't remember the one I already assembled the hull.

The last pictures are from the model that AL is selling now. Has a lot of changes in the decks design, but i will bet the hull is the same design as the vintage but laser cut.

Let me know. It will be my pleasure to help on this.

Daniel

good luck with your build I'll be following it. I'm working on a scratch build of a sternwheeler similar to Chaperon.

Do you meant guides where do you have to place the bulkheads ?

I have another vintage like
your model unused. I can go and take a look to that one. I can't remember the one I already assembled the hull.

The last pictures are from the model that AL is selling now. Has a lot of changes in the decks design, but i will bet the hull is the same design as the vintage but laser cut.

Let me know. It will be my pleasure to help on this.

Daniel
I am talking about these things. See these pix. They are yours. I drew the circles and arrows to show the guides, (Pins and Holes) My kit doesn't have these guides. I have to guess where things have to go. I have to slide pieces around until they look right then after gluing I prey I guessed right. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that I have a very old version before it was 'updated'. The rubberbands that held the smaller parts together were all brittle and broken.

guides1.jpg

guides2.jpg

Last edited:
Back