Krick “Alert” U.S. Cutter, 1/25 scale

Hi Jan!
After I had built almost all Revell sailing ships I thought it was time for a wooden ship and started a Viking ship. I failed miserably. Years later came a small brig without details and very simple. I got it together with a lot of wooden spatula and I was proud already once. A few years later it had to be a French Corvette - I even got myself a construction plan from the Naval Museum in Paris. The model turned out to be very good for me, but over the years, as I built more and more, I noticed more and more mistakes both in me and in the plan.
My library became more and more extensive and through practice my building results improved. Neverless, I try with some parts until I get a good result and throw the errors away. There are always photos of the successful work.
At SOS you can see many excellently built models. Until the master builders were ready it was a learning process for them too.
You are on the right track.

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Thank you for the great response. I build many Balsa rubber band powered airplanes as a youngster and one Christmas received an HO train set. This led to building, rebuilding layouts and many hours of model rail time. After a stint in the military I resumed that hobby but in N scale due to the small hobby space available. The Reserve Unit I was a member off had a model aviation club, mainly RC aircraft, control line and static models. That was my hobby interest for many years. My favorites were WW I aircraft, especially Sopwiths and Spads. A business trip changed all that. While attending a conference years ago I spied some model railroad layouts in another part of the building. These were large scale, I bought an LGB Mogul and had it shipped home. Layout space was no longer a problem and I’ve continued that interest for many years. BUT my boys decided that since I was retired I needed something to while away my free time. The Constructo 1799 Enterprise kit arrived for my 75th birthday. Well the rest is history, I now divide my “FREE” time between the two hobbies.

Jan

37B164DE-B8D1-4110-9410-E9F0DB2EB63A.gif

Color time:

I‘m looking at the possibilities of stain, paint or varnish for the hull and deck. So far I’ve tried two coats of True North Gloss Coat with light sanding between (400 grit), a light coat of beeswax polished in with a soft cloth.

DD598D9D-5EA9-4E0D-838E-5F3A127027E7.jpeg

I think it will look good on the Walnut covered hull. I would like to leave the deck a very light in color,, I tried several coats of the Gloss Coat, but...

Two coats of Gloss Coat on the bilge pumps does look good.

1EAAD0F8-ED17-4A77-B5C8-25F9AE11A46B.jpeg

That leaves the deck. Maybe light Oak stain?

Jan

More Color choices:

F5492D15-B39E-4AE5-9B23-13A1CC059671_1_201_a.jpeg

Color sample choices for deck,

1) Two coats of True North Gloss Coat

2) Two coats of Minwax Golden Oak 210B

3) Two coats of Minwax Satin Spray

D6E725F5-3C8A-4EA7-946F-61F6197E9518_1_201_a.jpeg
The three deck samples versus the Walnut hull planking with natural light.

I'm sort of leaning towards #3 - the Minwax Satin Spray because of the darker color of the hull planks.

Any opinions??

Jan

My Solition:

I think I’ve come up with a solution, not perfect but OK in my book.

E5C728FC-6AEE-4D43-8C64-474C5A55D10C.jpeg

A little jig and my mini belt sander.

C29E900D-DC3C-4008-8E4F-2EC0E054C5CD.jpeg

The angle of the top is not exactly like the build plan but I think once lines are belayed on the post the cut angle won’t show.

Jan

Hi Jan!

The cleanest way is with a small circular saw. Set the correct angle and glue on a boundary wood to the angle. Make sure there is enough distance to the saw blade because of the fingers.

SANY0926.JPG
Then sawing the wood and turn it three more times and after each turn sawing.

SANY0927.JPG
Result ! ! ! Now cut the wood to the finished length. Finished.

SANY0929.JPG
If you do not have a circular saw, it is enough to touch the edges.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hi Jan!

The cleanest way is with a small circular saw. Set the correct angle and glue on a boundary wood to the angle. Make sure there is enough distance to the saw blade because of the fingers.

View attachment 193166

View attachment 193167

View attachment 193168

Best regards
Thomas
Hi Thomas,

That‘s a neat way of getting it done. Thank you for taking the time to post it. Unfortunately I don’t have a small power saw, I have an old Jig saw, a Dremel tool and bought a min belt/disk sander over the summer, other than that my little shop is all hand tools. BUT maybe I can plead with the Admiral to dispense a few coins and add such a tool to my inventory :p

Last edited:
Hi Jan - I am very glad that Thomas could help. I have never done that kind of thing so I am clueless.

Hi Jan - I am very glad that Thomas could help. I have never done that kind of thing so I am clueless.
Hi Heinrich,

That is the great part of this forum, members sharing methods and ideas. I only have twenty four more of those posts to manufacture. By the time I finish I’ll have the procedure down pat. :D

Jan

And another "I can do that" to add to your list. All I do at the moment is to eat sleep and drink Bluenose. Both the Haarlem and Leudo are at a complete standstill.

And another "I can do that" to add to your list. All I do at the moment is to eat sleep and drink Bluenose. Both the Haarlem and Leudo are at a complete standstill.
Hi Heinrich,

Indeed, I’ve been following your log on the Bluenose. Once again I applaud your Herculean effort.

Jan

Hi Jan!

View attachment 193166

View attachment 193167

View attachment 193168

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I have it on good authority that a small table saw could find its way to my house by the 25th of next month. Now I need some hints. Nothing complicated, fancy or pricey.

Jan

Back