Krick Grimmershorn 1/20 scale Motor vessel built by neptune

View attachment 237154
This shows the build up of the superstructure, everthing went together just perfectly,

View attachment 237155
this when you need a few clamps,

View attachment 237156

View attachment 237157
the only things that had to be trimmed were the window panels,

View attachment 237158

View attachment 237160

View attachment 237163

View attachment 237161
well this is where I am up to at the present, so things will slow down a little from now on, there is a lot of filling and
sanding to smooth and blend everything in together,

again thank you for visiting my build,

best regards John,

Hi John,

I hope you have fully recovered.
Lovely looking build, should make a great working model.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi John,

I hope you have fully recovered.
Lovely looking build, should make a great working model.

Cheers,
Stephen.
I have not seen plastic work before and am interested in following the melding of wood and plastic for this model The photo of the finished one is a great insight to where you will be heading. Nice work. Rich

Hello John, It's nice to see you back in your Old Ship Yard again and that you have recovered from your Virus thing. You are sure doing a nice job on your Grimmershorn and at such speeds that make my head spin. Well Done.
Regards Lawrence

Thanks guys for all the likes and comments, the plastic part of the build is just about over apart from some sanding and general cleaning up.

I have still got this virus, its been nearly three weeks now and the Doctor says it could be another week yet, I have had a Covid test and thankfully that has been ruled out, so I have to sit tight and ride it out.

It seems that I have built her very fast, but nearly all the work so far was finished a couple of weeks ago and I just didn't feel up to posting it then.

this last few days I have been trying to catch up on my Steam Drifter, and I built a small hand winch to go on my friends Irish fishing boat, just a simple little hand winch, I will attach a couple of pics,

thanks once again for all the comments and likes,

best regards John.

Here is the winch, its not any particular winch, just something I made up from stuff in my scrap box,

1.jpg
I turned up both the side drums at the same time, its easier to keep a visual check on there size,
I had already drilled the hole through the centre for the main shaft to go through,

2.jpg
close up view,

3.jpg
over the years I have collected all sorts of cogs and bits of brass and copper, the large nylon cog
came out of some printer,

4.jpg
its a non working winch, nothing is soldered, it is all super glued together,

5.jpg
I super glued some square brass supports to the copper base on the inside, then I glued the sides to it
and then added another piece of brass support to the outside, you can see another nylon and aluminum
cog in the background this is what I turned to size for the lower cog, I was lucky with the upper it was
just the right size,

6.jpgo
after bending the winder I added a brake drum and some reinforcing trim over both sides and drilled
six holes for fixing in place,

7.jpg
then I added a locking handle,

8.jpg
all Pat has to do now is paint it, it was a nice relaxing bit of therapy for me,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,

Here is the winch, its not any particular winch, just something I made up from stuff in my scrap box,

View attachment 237410
I turned up both the side drums at the same time, its easier to keep a visual check on there size,
I had already drilled the hole through the centre for the main shaft to go through,

View attachment 237411
close up view,

View attachment 237412
over the years I have collected all sorts of cogs and bits of brass and copper, the large nylon cog
came out of some printer,

View attachment 237413
its a non working winch, nothing is soldered, it is all super glued together,

View attachment 237414
I super glued some square brass supports to the copper base on the inside, then I glued the sides to it
and then added another piece of brass support to the outside, you can see another nylon and aluminum
cog in the background this is what I turned to size for the lower cog, I was lucky with the upper it was
just the right size,

View attachment 237415o
after bending the winder I added a brake drum and some reinforcing trim over both sides and drilled
six holes for fixing in place,

View attachment 237416
then I added a locking handle,

View attachment 237417
all Pat has to do now is paint it, it was a nice relaxing bit of therapy for me,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,

With the narrow flange piece I though that you had used resistance soldering to place it without visible overflow of the solder. Neatly done., I respect those of SoS with metal machining abilities. Rich (PT-2)

Oooh that is nice! Now all that Stuart & Turner steam engine experience comes to the fore!

On my birthday weekend some of the Family came to visit and my eldest son likes Egg and Bacon pies, and seeing
that his birthday is coming up soon I thought I would make him some,

59.jpg
I cooked up 3 kilo of bacon approx 6.5 lbs, enough to make six pies or flans whichever you want to call them,
my Admiral and I had one, which left five for Gary to take home with him,

60.jpg
after cooling down,

61.jpg
and a close up, they were yummy,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john.

Among other things I regret in my life, one is that I don't leave near you. I mean close by...I absolutely love an 'egg & bacon' couple in any combination! Damn...it looks tasty and delicious. Will be back, going to make one for myself...

65.jpg
For the part of the superstructure that holds the mast and the small funnel they give you multiple laser cut parts of
ply which you glue together and then shape into the final part, this shows all the parts glued together,

66.jpg
and another view,

67.jpg
building this part gave me a chance to try out my new disc sander, and I was really pleased with the results,
the sander has five speeds and on the slowest speed you can hardly hear any sound,

68.jpg
the final shape, just a little bit more finish sanding to do,

69.jpg
and another view,

70.jpg
and sitting on the plan where it will finally end up,

71.jpg
sitting on the top of the wheel house,

72.jpg
just a quick view of how it will look when it all comes together,

Looking really good, makes me even more keen to acquire a Krick kit.
Pleased to hear the new sander performed well, at that price it has to be a bargain I think I will get one.
Thank you for the nice comment, I bought mine from Germany, I think it was approx $350 including postage and took two weeks to arrive, a good deal,

best regards John.

Back