Krick Grimmershorn 1/20 scale Motor vessel built by neptune

Last edited:
73.jpg
The rear skylight made up, I am buying some brass portholes for all the ports on the model,

74.jpg
the forward skylight,

75.jpg
and with the support for the life raft canister,

76.jpg
the two halves of the canister still to be glued together,

77.jpg
and how it will sit on the top of the skylight,

78.jpg
overall view,

79.jpg

and a close up,

I had also tried that site but had no luck, here is a link to the company I bought it from, they sell some nice models, I also bought the Borkum Steam launch,

mhm-modellbau

hope this helps you,

best regards john,
Thanks for that link John.
Took me awhile to navigate it but have worked it out now. Spent a lot of time translating.
Yes I think the after market rubber boat is an improvement.

Allan

On my birthday weekend some of the Family came to visit and my eldest son likes Egg and Bacon pies, and seeing
that his birthday is coming up soon I thought I would make him some,

View attachment 243872
I cooked up 3 kilo of bacon approx 6.5 lbs, enough to make six pies or flans whichever you want to call them,
my Admiral and I had one, which left five for Gary to take home with him,

View attachment 243873
after cooling down,

View attachment 243874
and a close up, they were yummy,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john.

Happy birthday John and Johns son.

Thanks for showing us your talents in the kitchen as well as the workshop. ThumbsupBirthday-Cake

Cheers,
Stephen.

View attachment 244436
These are the mouldings for the emergency boat, which looks a bit chunky to me,

View attachment 244437
at the local hobby shop i found this one which seems a little bit more detailed, what do you guy's think,

View attachment 244438
another view,

View attachment 244439
and a view of the underneath,

best regards john.

Hi John,

There is no question in my mind the one you bought from the store looks great where as the kit one looks very ordinary.

Cheers,
Stephen.

84.jpg
Making up the towing hook assembly,

85.jpg
the towing hook all glued up and sanded to shape, I have been trying to find some photo's of the towing hook
on the real ship, but cannot find any, the shape of the hook seems really shallow and there isn't any device to
hold the hook in place when towing,

188.jpg
these two pics show what i mean, these are the towing hooks that I built for my River Tug, maybe the Grimmershorn had a different locking system,

198.jpg
and with the handles in place locking the hooks shut,

86.jpg
the towing hook being test fitted,

87.jpg
overhead view, showing the towing hook surpport fitted if I cannot find any Information I might redo the hooks the way I built them for the River Tug,

any suggestions welcome,

best regards John.

Building up the hand winch,

88.jpg
These are the parts supplied for the hand winch, my first disappointment with the kit, the two white metal disc's
are supposed to be the gear wheels for the winch,

89.jpg
a close up view, in the parts list they are marked as being Brass,

90.jpg
so it was off to my scrap box to see what I could use to replace them with and I came up with these two gear wheels
the same as what i used on Pat's winch, I had to turn down the thickness of the large one on the lathe,

91.jpg
They supply nice turnings for the remainder of the winch, in reality there would be a small gap between the winch
drums and the vertical side of the winch body, but for security I decided to glue the drums to the side, once painted
you will probably not notice anything, also there is supposed to be a piece of 3mm brass wire for the drums but it
was missing, and seeing it was night time I used a couple of 3mm drill bits that were blunt, they worked out quite
well,

92.jpg
these next three pics show the winch all glued up waiting for a coat of paint,

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

Building up the hand winch,

View attachment 244945
These are the parts supplied for the hand winch, my first disappointment with the kit, the two white metal disc's
are supposed to be the gear wheels for the winch,

View attachment 244946
a close up view, in the parts list they are marked as being Brass,

View attachment 244947
so it was off to my scrap box to see what I could use to replace them with and I came up with these two gear wheels
the same as what i used on Pat's winch, I had to turn down the thickness of the large one on the lathe,

View attachment 244948
They supply nice turnings for the remainder of the winch, in reality there would be a small gap between the winch
drums and the vertical side of the winch body, but for security I decided to glue the drums to the side, once painted
you will probably not notice anything, also there is supposed to be a piece of 3mm brass wire for the drums but it
was missing, and seeing it was night time I used a couple of 3mm drill bits that were blunt, they worked out quite
well,

View attachment 244949
these next three pics show the winch all glued up waiting for a coat of paint,

View attachment 244950

View attachment 244951

View attachment 244952

Very nice upgrade and metal work.. Rich

96.jpg
The brass parts on the left are supplied in the kit as the Navigation lights etc, you are
supposed to paint the central brass area red and green for the side lights and the others
white or silver for the mast lights, I have bought some after market ones on the right and
will use these,

Next up was installing the hawse pipes,

97.jpg
I drilled a small hole in the centre of the area that the hawse pipe would be located,
and then using different size files I gradually increased the hole till the pipe fitted,
then I had to put an angle on the hole for the pipe to angle back up towards the deck,

98.jpg
the pipe fitting square through the hull, I high lighted the recess area
to enable me to find the centre more easily,

99.jpg
and in this pic you can see the angle needed with the pipe coming up through the deck,

100.jpg
the pipe coming up through the deck,

101.jpg
I marked the angle on the pipe at the lower end first and made sure I had a correct fit before marking the top,

102.jpg
close up view,

104.jpg
after shaping the bottom of the pipe I inserted it in position then marked the top, I marked it with a pencil
then after removing the pipe from the ship I marked the area above the pencil mark with a texture so when
I sanded it on the sander I could see it better and I wanted to leave some extra pipe so I could trim it down
after fitting,

105.jpg
The pipe trimmed at both ends with some extra left on the top end,

106.jpg
with the starboard side pipe glued in place, this is what it looks like with
the anchor in place,

107.jpg
and a close up,

108.jpg
to help in marking out the port side hole I made a small pencil mark right up in the centre of the bow and took
measurements from the starboard side and transferred them to the port side, this is just the start of cutting the hole,

109.jpg
and a final view head on, both look symmetrical, I was very lucky on both sides
in that the pipes fitted really tight and I have no areas to fill in, I might have to
do a little filling at the deck end, will see when I trim the pipes down to deck,

View attachment 244939
Making up the towing hook assembly,

View attachment 244940
the towing hook all glued up and sanded to shape, I have been trying to find some photo's of the towing hook
on the real ship, but cannot find any, the shape of the hook seems really shallow and there isn't any device to
hold the hook in place when towing,

View attachment 244943
these two pics show what i mean, these are the towing hooks that I built for my River Tug, maybe the Grimmershorn had a different locking system,

View attachment 244944
and with the handles in place locking the hooks shut,

View attachment 244941
the towing hook being test fitted,

View attachment 244942
overhead view, showing the towing hook surpport fitted if I cannot find any Information I might redo the hooks the way I built them for the River Tug,

any suggestions welcome,

best regards John.

Your metal details are outstanding and they add authenticity to your model.
Marvelous workmanship.

Back