Krick Grimmershorn 1/20 scale Motor vessel built by neptune

View attachment 279271
Thank you Fiddlewood for reminding me about the rubbing strips on the hull, this is what is supplied in the kit, a half round section,

View attachment 279274
and a view of the outside of the half round strip,

View attachment 279275
according to the plans the long piece goes 14mm below the base of the bulwarks, I was lucky and had some masking tape that was 14mm wide, so i ran a strip along the hull and used it as a guide for attaching the strip, i used CA Super Glue,

View attachment 279276
close up view,

View attachment 279277
I didn't have a hole punch big enough to do it the way Fiddlewood did, so after attaching the long strip i used a drum sander to round off the end of the short downward fenders so that they would sit up against the long one,

View attachment 279278
another view,

View attachment 279279
first one attached again with super Glue,

View attachment 279280
Port side done,

View attachment 279281
I have now come up with another problem, they give you a U shaped length of rubber to go around the lower part of the bulwark,

View attachment 279282
But when it is put in place it comes up above the deck at the wash ports, the only thing I can think of is to attach and cut away the area that is where the wash ports are, or just leave it off altogether, any thoughts welcome,

best regards john,
I like what you did with the rubbing strips. Great job. I am about to fit my U shape rubber fender but I will forfeit reality and leave it above the wash ports. I just haven't decided wherever start

I like what you did with the rubbing strips. Great job. I am about to fit my U shape rubber fender but I will forfeit reality and leave it above the wash ports. I just haven't decided wherever start

I was thinking about starting at the stern and covering the join with a rope fender, depends on how it will fit round the bow,
Best regards John,
Ps Happy New year

185.jpg
I should have really finished painting the hull before doing the deck, so I have had to mask off the wash ports to keep the black spray off the decks,

186.jpg
all the ports masked,

187.jpg
The only way that i could mask the deck, was a bit of a pain,

188.jpg
all done just have to spray her now,

best regards john,

Attachments

• 20220101_091836.jpg
    20220101_091836.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 19
Well after all the masking up I had a nasty surprise this morning, actually the masking up was OK, the problem was the spray paint, I've never seen anything like it, maybe one of you guys can enlighten me, see pics below,

189.jpg
some of the hull was OK but there was a lot of crinkly paint in other spots,

190.jpg
another view, the hull was well rubbed down and completely dry so i do not know what has caused this,

191.jpg
So it was back to a complete rub down,

192.jpg
But this time I didn't spray I hand brushed and everything seems to be OK now, so I will finish the hull by hand brushing, alls well that ends well,

best regards John,

Wow John - that is really a nasty surprise. I was going to say that perhaps there is something wrong with the paint, but if it goes on well hand brushed (and it obviously does) then I also have no idea what could have caused that.

Hi John!

There are solvent-based paints that are sprayed in several very thin layers until they are covered and then left to dry. If the opacity is not sufficient, a new layer must be applied within six hours. With a paint application that was applied a long time ago, the first layer will otherwise be repelled or wavy.

SANY1575.JPG
A note on drying times between coats is described e.g. on this car paint.

It is possible, if a painting is not successful, to grind everything and switch to a solvent-free paint. This also happened to me and the new paint with previous primer has already lasted 20 years. Your black paint has become beautiful even without changing paint.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Wow John - that is really a nasty surprise. I was going to say that perhaps there is something wrong with the paint, but if it goes on well hand brushed (and it obviously does) then I also have no idea what could have caused that.
Hi John!

There are solvent-based paints that are sprayed in several very thin layers until they are covered and then left to dry. If the opacity is not sufficient, a new layer must be applied within six hours. With a paint application that was applied a long time ago, the first layer will otherwise be repelled or wavy.

View attachment 279754
A note on drying times between coats is described e.g. on this car paint.

It is possible, if a painting is noft successful, to grind everything and switch to a solvent-free paint. This also happened to me and the new paint with previous primer has already lasted 20 years. Your black paint has become beautiful even without changing paint.

Best regards
Thomas

Thank you Heinrich and Thomas for the comments and explanations, the spray paint and the paint in the tin are exactly the same paint, same make both are oil based, so I won't take any chances and will give another couple of hand painted coats over the next couple of days, thank you both for the quick replys,

Best for John,

Hi John,

That is a nasty surprise, it looks like a reaction of some sort, maybe in those areas the paint went down a bit wet and reacted with what is underneath, which is pretty much what Thomas said.
Good you found a solution.
Great progress.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Well after all the masking up I had a nasty surprise this morning, actually the masking up was OK, the problem was the spray paint, I've never seen anything like it, maybe one of you guys can enlighten me, see pics below,

View attachment 279719
some of the hull was OK but there was a lot of crinkly paint in other spots,

View attachment 279720
another view, the hull was well rubbed down and completely dry so i do not know what has caused this,

View attachment 279721
So it was back to a complete rub down,

View attachment 279722
But this time I didn't spray I hand brushed and everything seems to be OK now, so I will finish the hull by hand brushing, alls well that ends well,

best regards John,

I am interested in the great quality of your brushed on finish. Is it tougher than a sprayed paint? I have a great looking sprayed finish but chips really easy!!!!!

Non-slip traction deck finishes were the standard of the ships that I served on for crew safety and not a modelers vision. Just a thought. RIch
I think the sugar is too coarse. I have since tried modellers fine sand but too late for this boat

Non-slip traction deck finishes were the standard of the ships that I served on for crew safety and not a modelers vision. Just a thought. RIch
I am interested in the great quality of your brushed on finish. Is it tougher than a sprayed paint? I have a great looking sprayed finish but chips really easy!!!!!

Both the brushed on paint and the spray can paint are exactly the same paint, except one comes in a tin and the other one in the aerosol can, with the brushed on one you have to work quickly because it drys fast, as to whether it is stronger I really don't know, but with brushing it on it is thicker, so there could be an advantage to it,
Best regards John,

193.jpg
I have cut out the ply parts for the stand and padded the edges where the ship will sit,

194.jpg
close up view,

195.jpg
the stand with the base attached,

196.jpg
and the ship sitting on the stand, should help the paint on the hull, I have to do another one for the steam drifter,

thanks for looking,

best regards john.

View attachment 280678
How she looks at the moment, has to have one more coat on the superstructure, one more coat of black on the hull then a couple of coats of red anti fouling below the waterline,

View attachment 280679
looking down on the deck,

best regards john,
That dark hull makes her look like a serious boat not to be messed with. Rich

Hi John,

I am still impressed with your serious shipyard.
In two pictures I already see 5 models in full progress.
I already feel "pressure" by having two ships in dock :). Hopefully this year I also will find some more time to build.

Great work as always, looking forward to see these in the water.

Back