Kyrenia Ship, 290 BCE Reconstruction POF Build Log PT-2 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you for the Christmas wishes Rich and the same to you and your family. Your Kyrenia turned out wonderfully well and I reiterate that the defining part of this build to me is the authenticity thereof. Very few builds can lay claim to that - yes, they may have super-clean joinery and what-not, BUT they do not look authentic! Yours has captured a very "real moment" in ancient history and for that I can only applaud you.

Thank you for the Christmas wishes Rich and the same to you and your family. Your Kyrenia turned out wonderfully well and I reiterate that the defining part of this build to me is the authenticity thereof. Very few builds can lay claim to that - yes, they may have super-clean joinery and what-not, BUT they do not look authentic! Yours has captured a very "real moment" in ancient history and for that I can only applaud you.
I agree, and would like to add that perfect joinery in this case, would not have been as realistic. I think you achieved a very realistic version of the ship in every way, especially with the extra details you added. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Heinrich. I think that by plan and luck I arrived at my planned port. I would speculate that a number of observers would be looking for more precise modeling in a traditional presentation. For me the models are my limited attempt to create the past in the present with the toils of the day's usage showing. I greatly appreciate the skills and dedication for those on the other side of the pier. Rich

Thank you very much, Heinrich. I think that by plan and luck I arrived at my planned port. I would speculate that a number of observers would be looking for more precise modeling in a traditional presentation. For me the models are my limited attempt to create the past in the present with the toils of the day's usage showing. I greatly appreciate the skills and dedication for those on the other side of the pier. Rich
As an appendix at the end of a series of research papers I just found the following interactive 3-D link for the Kyrenia hull by the archaeologist who reassembled the remains of the wreck.
Rich

I can only agree with what has already been mentioned by others.
Thank you very much, Rich, for showing us your building of this beautiful nice sailing boat. And for the information about this ship. Your personal interpretation and the addition of the beautiful details make this a unique ship.
Regards, Peter

Merry Christmas and Holiday Wishes to all.
To you as well, Rich, and also to the ones you hold close to year heart.

Also a merry Christmas and a prosperous New year to all on this forum, participating in the upcoming festive season.

Johan

As with retirement: "retire to something, not from something." Merry Christmas and Holiday Wishes to all. Rich (PT-2)
Merry Christmas to you and family Rich. Waiting for your new project. And ofcourse Holiday Wishes to all on this forum.

Christos

Anchor and cable set on foredeck:
View attachment 276301
And the steering arms set on the rudder shafts:
View attachment 276302
Moving up to look down toward the mast with the oars set inside for use when there is no wind:
View attachment 276303
And the port side elevation:
View attachment 276304I need to do a name/dedication plaque and work up a "Death by PowerPoint" presentation when I donate it to one of my two Masonic lodges. I realize that it cannot be placed were I previously thought it was best related to a degree ritual but will berth it in a display case in the lobby. With some luck and jury-rigged lighting I will try to get some decent photos.
Rich
Rich
Congratulations on a build very well done Rich. It has been interesting and educational to follow your build of the Kyrenia. Thank you for sharing, and I look forward in anticipation to your next project :)Thumbsup

Congratulations on a build very well done Rich. It has been interesting and educational to follow your build of the Kyrenia. Thank you for sharing, and I look forward in anticipation to your next project :)Thumbsup
I will probably be silent for a while as I have decided to bypass a larger Kyrenia model and go farther back in time to resume drafting the lines and frames for the 1400-1500 BC Phoenician "hipos" (horse) trade boat. More oars but not as many as on the three ancient Greek warships that Messis suggested me to consider with two, three, and four banks of oars. I don't that that many slaves or oars available. ;)
So a bit of horse head carving will be needed . . . trying to approach Dean's skills as a bar to attain with trepidation. Now I have to try and find the thread/log that I started some months ago from somewhere in the fog of memory.
Inspiring is the ancient history the Greek and Persian war which included the sea battle of Salamis
For Naval History Buffs here are two similar but with differing narratives and graphics:

https://youtu.be/7uhoDZtA9PQ

https://youtu.be/UlCUFGBJNMQ
Rich

I will probably be silent for a while as I have decided to bypass a larger Kyrenia model and go farther back in time to resume drafting the lines and frames for the 1400-1500 BC Phoenician "hipos" (horse) trade boat. More oars but not as many as on the three ancient Greek warships that Messis suggested me to consider with two, three, and four banks of oars. I don't that that many slaves or oars available. ;)
So a bit of horse head carving will be needed . . . trying to approach Dean's skills as a bar to attain with trepidation. Now I have to try and find the thread/log that I started some months ago from somewhere in the fog of memory.
Inspiring is the ancient history the Greek and Persian war which included the sea battle of Salamis
For Naval History Buffs here are two similar but with differing narratives and graphics:

https://youtu.be/7uhoDZtA9PQ

https://youtu.be/UlCUFGBJNMQ
Rich
Making a quick tack back I received some coins from Cyprus that I ordered last Fall, one with the Kyrenia boat on one side:
Cyprus Kyrenia Coin.jpg
and the obverse which appears on most of the coins:
Cyprus Kyrenia Coin Obverse.jpg
I believe the 1960 date was decades before Turkey invaded and too over the island.
My other items with relationship to the island and ship are four stamps:
Four Commemorative Cyprus Stamps.jpg
which provided some historical linkage.
Last will be the acrylic dust cover and base board for the model to be presented.

Great idea! Am looking forward watching the build of a phonecian ship.

Phonecians and Cyprus. Phoenicians have colonised Cyprus before or even about the same time time as greeks did. Both, greek and phoenicians is believed to have colonised the island between the 11th and 9th century BC.

The coins you have (and posted above) are not any more in use. Now our currency (the cypriot currency)is the euro. Those coins belong to the old Cyprus Pound curency , a currency that existed from the beginning of the Cyprus Republik in 1960 until 2008.

The euro. 2004 Cyprus has joint the European Union and two years later 2008 joined the Eurogroup. Eurogroup is a group of European Member countrys that have the european common currency, the Euro. Not all Euro member countrys are in this group (19/27), some member countrys (9 /27) still have their own currency.

Turkey invadet Cyprus in 1974, 14 years after the Republic of Cyprus was established in 1960. Since 1974 Turkey still ocuppies the north part of the island, which represents about the 38% of the countrys territory.

Last edited:
Great idea! Am looking forward watching the build of a phonecian ship.

Phonecians and Cyprus. Phoenicians have colonised Cyprus before or even about the same time time as greeks did. Both, greek and phoenicians is believed to have colonised the island between the 11th and 9th century BC.

The coins you have (and posted above) are not any more in use. Now our currency (the cypriot currency)is the euro. Those coins belong to the old Cyprus Pound curency , a currency that existed from the beginning of the Cyprus Republik in 1960 until 2008.

The euro. 2004 Cyprus has joint the European Union and two years later 2008 joined the Eurogroup. Eurogroup is a group of European Member countrys that have the european common currency, the Euro. Not all Euro member countrys are in this group (19/27), some member countrys (9 /27) still have their own currency.

Turkey invadet Cyprus in 1974, 14 years after the Republic of Cyprus was established in 1960. Since 1974 Turkey still ocuppies the north part of the island, which represents about the 38% of the countrys territory.
I am looking forward also. With the winter weather being too cold to continue drafting in the garage, I have ordered a small illuminated box to be able to restart inside with the new technical pens replacing the drafting pencils preciously used and not precise. Rich

I am looking forward also. With the winter weather being too cold to continue drafting in the garage, I have ordered a small illuminated box to be able to restart inside with the new technical pens replacing the drafting pencils preciously used and not precise. Rich
I have completed a cover box for the model's presentation to one of my Masonic lodges in February
Kyrenia Boat Display Case.jpgKyrenia Display Case Closer.jpg
and the plaque inside
Kyrenia Presentation Case Plaque.jpg

After all hours spent researching history and building this beautiful model, a result to be proud of and a completed journey, worth remembering.

Admirable! As we discussed a while ago - that's museum quality by my definition. My greatest respect for your work, Rich.
Thank you @Mash for your most generous comments. I see only an early entry level into ship model crafting and that there is a long way to go in the future following the logs and skills of other SoS members. As in architecture when asked what my best project was, I hoped that I could always reply with truth that it was the last one with other opportunities ahead for improvement. My present aspiration for a Phoenecian trade vessel for which the drawing of the model, almost from scratch, will provide many opportunities for changing insights and decisions along the way. RIch

Back