Kyrenia Ship, 290 BCE Reconstruction POF Build Log PT-2 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you @Mash for your most generous comments. I see only an early entry level into ship model crafting and that there is a long way to go in the future following the logs and skills of other SoS members. As in architecture when asked what my best project was, I hoped that I could always reply with truth that it was the last one with other opportunities ahead for improvement. My present aspiration for a Phoenecian trade vessel for which the drawing of the model, almost from scratch, will provide many opportunities for changing insights and decisions along the way. RIch
I know what you mean all too well because I have similar problems with my model of the "Cazador". Building an "academic" boat is easy, but building the "original" is not. Due to the serial sale of the kit, the actual conditions have disappeared. There are only assumptions circulating, hardly any concrete facts. 1700 isn't that long ago compared to your model. As you say - don't give up and spend a lot of time researching. Manfred

I know what you mean all too well because I have similar problems with my model of the "Cazador". Building an "academic" boat is easy, but building the "original" is not. Due to the serial sale of the kit, the actual conditions have disappeared. There are only assumptions circulating, hardly any concrete facts. 1700 isn't that long ago compared to your model. As you say - don't give up and spend a lot of time researching. Manfred
For me the researching aspect brings more life and understanding of the era and conditions within which the ship served those needs. It brings a life to the model that would otherwise be only wood and glue, so to say, which does not denigrate the hobby enjoyment and skills in which so many SoS members are moored and I respect. The contextual understanding becomes the wind in the sails. Rich

For me the researching aspect brings more life and understanding of the era and conditions within which the ship served those needs. It brings a life to the model that would otherwise be only wood and glue, so to say, which does not denigrate the hobby enjoyment and skills in which so many SoS members are moored and I respect. The contextual understanding becomes the wind in the sails. Rich
Though not so thoroughly researching my build as you do Rich, I wholeheartedly agree with you; starting to have some inkling on the hardships shipbuilder and sailor alike had to endure, the limited resources at their disposal drives home the realization that (although the beauty and historical significance of the ship's our models represent is sometimes breathtaking) there was a harsh reality behind those beautiful lines.

Though not so thoroughly researching my build as you do Rich, I wholeheartedly agree with you; starting to have some inkling on the hardships shipbuilder and sailor alike had to endure, the limited resources at their disposal drives home the realization that (although the beauty and historical significance of the ship's our models represent is sometimes breathtaking) there was a harsh reality behind those beautiful lines.
It would be interesting to know the mind set of those seafarers looking at a ship and seeing either "sea-worthyness" or "beauty" and probably some of both. RIch

Back