Kyrenia Ship, 290 BCE Reconstruction POF Build Log PT-2 [COMPLETED BUILD]

As I planned I have moved aft to the quarter rudders and tricking the kit up to better match the Kyrenia II reconstruction which was sailed on several experimental voyages.
First is a photo that Mensis took of this area for my rudder rigging:
View attachment 275308
Next is another view aboard of the aft deck area for the helmsman:
View attachment 275310
Seeing some added supporting members on top of the rails to secure the rudder pole I added those as well as some additional belaying pins aft which were likely used to secure various lines as needed at different times. I am not sure what lines we can see hanks hanging there so I will leave those out.
Here is my own birds eye view of my deck in preparation for the rudders.
View attachment 275311
For a test I places one of the rudders with a wrap to be secured to the projecting short
added member.
View attachment 275313
Not shown here I then ran the yard brace to the stantion and pin aft of the rudder for a line check. It passes outboard of the helmsman so all is OK so far. Also not shown is where I spliced the fixed end of the doubled sail sheet which is forward of this and closer to the aft leading brails pin rail. A touch of clear was applied to fold the sheet tightly through the block as there will be no tension on this sail to obtain the same bend as if it were taught. If all looks OK I will next complete mounting and securing the two rudders before completing the sheets and braces. Rich
While at dockside in our port my wife and I realized that we had a very short window to complete our annual baking and micro decorations of stores before our son drives out to Teton Village where he is a ski guide for a few months before heading up to Alaska as a helicopter ski guide. The modeling tweezers come in handy. No hazard other than caloric as the stores are edible unlike the usual items handled for the Kyrenia: Two loads for inspection:
Kyrenia replenishing Stores.jpg
Securing additional handlers a second loading was presented for inspection:
Kyrenia replenishing Stores Second Load.jpg
Approved or not they will be carefully loaded and padded in a tin without any tarrif to be paid.
Rich and Ann (PT-2) For the Admiral/BakerGold Star

While at dockside in our port my wife and I realized that we had a very short window to complete our annual baking and micro decorations of stores before our son drives out to Teton Village where he is a ski guide for a few months before heading up to Alaska as a helicopter ski guide. The modeling tweezers come in handy. No hazard other than caloric as the stores are edible unlike the usual items handled for the Kyrenia: Two loads for inspection:
View attachment 275478
View attachment 275479
Approved or not they will be carefully loaded and padded in a tin without any tarrif to be paid.
If tasting as good as they look... :D

View attachment 275478
View attachment 275479
Hello Rich, I see your modeling talent has come out in those Christmas cookies Thumbsup

Congratulation for this very fine model - Great

One thing I am jealous of (in a good way, of cause), is the fact that cannot taste all the delicious dishes prepared by you or John @neptune.

Considering all of those lines I have to seriously wonder how a crew of only four could adjust the lines and the helmsman steering the course????
No kidding. Maybe men were made of sturdier stuff back then? :p

View attachment 275478
View attachment 275479
Rich, I am sure you can find some room in the hold of your Kyrenia for some of these treats, in among all the ingots and amphorae :)
- Mark

Rich, I am sure you can find some room in the hold of your Kyrenia for some of these treats, in among all the ingots and amphorae :)
- Mark
Nomad, now that is a great idea for "midrats" (Midnight rations for the crew). Have to work on that without preservatives!!!! Rich

That reminds me of my youth days when we helped mom bake and decorate cookies and put in old coffee can (with a slice of bread to keep them soft) and send them to my dad when he was over in Vietnam back in late 60's.

My kids also sent me cookies in Tupperware tub when I was stationed in Korea in mid 80's.

We do the things we need to do to keep traditions alive and our kids in touch.

That reminds me of my youth days when we helped mom bake and decorate cookies and put in old coffee can (with a slice of bread to keep them soft) and send them to my dad when he was over in Vietnam back in late 60's.

My kids also sent me cookies in Tupperware tub when I was stationed in Korea in mid 80's.

We do the things we need to do to keep traditions alive and our kids in touch.
Between cookies the model received some attention in securing the aft quarter rudders along with Kyrenia Port Aft Qtr Rudder Tieback.jpgtheir tiebacks for raising those in shallow water or when the boat had to be beached/hauled out for repairs/idle alongside the pier:
The sheets lines and tiebacks preceded the yard braces secured aft of those:
Kryenia Aft Deck line terminations.jpg
As this is the active deck area for tending lines I will leave the ends loose and casual on the deck and with a bit of organization when all are in place. An interior looking view back is:
Kyrenia aft deck inside line terminations.jpg
and from more forward looking a bit aft:

Kyrenia aft deck inside line termination lkg aft.jpg
And from the stbd side:
Kyrenia aft Stbd quarter rudder side view.jpg
When all lines in place I will put the steering handles on the rudder shafts.
And next tend to the "hook" anchor at the bow with a bit of hawser loosely set beside that, taking my lead from the anchor on the experimental sailing recreated Kyrenia II.
Kyernia Arrow Anchor.jpg
If it looks too large from my scaled down size from the anchor research paper dimensions, I will set it aside and carve out one smaller and better visually suited to the model.
Rich

And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you make it even more complete and realistic! Well done Rich!

Between cookies the model received some attention in securing the aft quarter rudders along with View attachment 276038their tiebacks for raising those in shallow water or when the boat had to be beached/hauled out for repairs/idle alongside the pier:
The sheets lines and tiebacks preceded the yard braces secured aft of those:
View attachment 276039
As this is the active deck area for tending lines I will leave the ends loose and casual on the deck and with a bit of organization when all are in place. An interior looking view back is:
View attachment 276041
and from more forward looking a bit aft:

View attachment 276045
And from the stbd side:
View attachment 276047
When all lines in place I will put the steering handles on the rudder shafts.
And next tend to the "hook" anchor at the bow with a bit of hawser loosely set beside that, taking my lead from the anchor on the experimental sailing recreated Kyrenia II.
View attachment 276051
If it looks too large from my scaled down size from the anchor research paper dimensions, I will set it aside and carve out one smaller and better visually suited to the model.
Rich
Such simplicity, such a rudder. No mechanism or anything. Just elbows steam. Nicely build, Rich.

Such simplicity, such a rudder. No mechanism or anything. Just elbows steam. Nicely build, Rich.
Anchor and cable set on foredeck:
Kyrnia Foredeck and Anchor.jpg
And the steering arms set on the rudder shafts:
Kyrenia Aftdeck and stocked rudder shafts.jpg
Moving up to look down toward the mast with the oars set inside for use when there is no wind:
Kyrenia Aft birdseye view.jpg
And the port side elevation:
Kyrenia Port Elevation.jpgI need to do a name/dedication plaque and work up a "Death by PowerPoint" presentation when I donate it to one of my two Masonic lodges. I realize that it cannot be placed were I previously thought it was best related to a degree ritual but will berth it in a display case in the lobby. With some luck and jury-rigged lighting I will try to get some decent photos.
Rich
Rich

View attachment 276301
View attachment 276302
Moving up to look down toward the mast with the oars set inside for use when there is no wind:
View attachment 276303
View attachment 276304I need to do a name/dedication plaque and work up a "Death by PowerPoint" presentation when I donate it to one of my two Masonic lodges. I realize that it cannot be placed were I previously thought it was best related to a degree ritual but will berth it in a display case in the lobby. With some luck and jury-rigged lighting I will try to get some decent photos.
Rich
Rich
This is a very nice build Rich! I love the wood tones and the great details you have added. Fantastic job! ;)

I keep saying, It doesn't have to be a three-decker and has 100+ guns to be just beautiful! I am in synch with Dean - Fantastic job and a great model!

I keep saying, It doesn't have to be a three-decker and has 100+ guns to be just beautiful! I am in synch with Dean - Fantastic job and a great model!
My thanks to Dean and Jim for their recent reflections on this model. It is not typical of the precise quality and joinery that I see in so many ships on SoS but in its own way it has taken me down a voyage of discovery that I could not have foreseen before opening the kit box. {Large binders of downloaded/printed research papers' and a few more books.)

When I have satisfied myself with what I will present to the lodge I will have to make a course decision: a much earlier Phoenician Trade vessel of around 1400-1500 BC from that impoverished single sheet plan that I received, or to do a second Kyrenia at a much smaller scale, say 1;25, from the lines found in Richard Steffy's book Wooden Ship Building and Interpretation of Shipwrecks.. There will be a lot of manual drafting involved in either case before a scratch model can be started. Either model would be about the same length of about 22 inches. Kyrenia is the leading contender right now as I am more familiar with the construction and detailing that will be feasible. My wife will say that I am addicted to my now cluttered and formerly neat den/hobby room and that I will have to make do with the model power tools that I have which cover the top half of my drafting table in the garage as well as a few in my foot space underneath. The ebb and flow of the tides in coordination with the winds that blow will control my course.
Rich

View attachment 276301
View attachment 276302
View attachment 276303
View attachment 276304I need to do a name/dedication plaque and work up a "Death by PowerPoint" presentation when I donate it to one of my two Masonic lodges. I realize that it cannot be placed were I previously thought it was best related to a degree ritual but will berth it in a display case in the lobby. With some luck and jury-rigged lighting I will try to get some decent photos.
Rich
Rich
When I came across this log, the first thought that crossed my mind was why one would want to build a simple ship like this.
Following the progress and the research that went into this build caused me to re-evaluate my earlier assessment and now, nearing completion, I am genuinely impressed by this model, both the displayed craftsmanship and the ingenuity and perseverance of the ancient shipwrights and sailors. Thumbs-up!

Last edited:
Excellent work rich! I think is the best Kyrenia ship model I ever saw. You made a detailed stusy and fine work. Congrats my friend.

Coming to whats next, why not a trireme or bireme, or even an older penteconter! Udysseus ship.

Christos

My thanks to Dean and Jim for their recent reflections on this model. It is not typical of the precise quality and joinery that I see in so many ships on SoS but in its own way it has taken me down a voyage of discovery that I could not have foreseen before opening the kit box. {Large binders of downloaded/printed research papers' and a few more books.)

When I have satisfied myself with what I will present to the lodge I will have to make a course decision: a much earlier Phoenician Trade vessel of around 1400-1500 BC from that impoverished single sheet plan that I received, or to do a second Kyrenia at a much smaller scale, say 1;25, from the lines found in Richard Steffy's book Wooden Ship Building and Interpretation of Shipwrecks.. There will be a lot of manual drafting involved in either case before a scratch model can be started. Either model would be about the same length of about 22 inches. Kyrenia is the leading contender right now as I am more familiar with the construction and detailing that will be feasible. My wife will say that I am addicted to my now cluttered and formerly neat den/hobby room and that I will have to make do with the model power tools that I have which cover the top half of my drafting table in the garage as well as a few in my foot space underneath. The ebb and flow of the tides in coordination with the winds that blow will control my course.
Rich
Congratulations, Rich. Seen from my seat in the first row: magnificent work, technical and intellectual. Don't let the crowd rush you :cool:

Congratulations, Rich. Seen from my seat in the first row: magnificent work, technical and intellectual. Don't let the crowd rush you :cool:
My thanks to RDN1954, Messis, and Mash for their compliments. It has been a rewarding undertaking. It will be interesting to see the reaction of the lodge members who are not ship modelers, as far as I know, to the short presentation Powerpoint slides and model itself. As with all else, I try to focus on the moments of the journey and not just the home harbor. As with retirement: "retire to something, not from something." Merry Christmas and Holiday Wishes to all. Rich (PT-2)

Back