L' Hermione AL 1/89

@Charles QC thank you very much. Am anxious to start rigging. I have purchased extra a better quality standing rigging ropes and some fine blocks and hearts to replace those of the kit. Am going also to do again some small diviations from the kit's instructions.

I did the old Artesia model of the Hermione some - well long time ago
If I remember correctly the instruction for the rigging where not that bad
And on the French forum there are no complaint for the new version.

There are a few (just a few) mistakes in the instructions... I would rather call them printing errors. The instructions are not bad... still there are no scale drawings.. There is a picture to scale, which its isnt so handy and ofcourse not accurate. The builder has to go slow and think in advance the operation.

In general Charles I dont think that there is reason to complain about the instructions

Ps do you mind sending me over a link to a french forum... would like to look other logs of Hermione

Last edited:
Hello to all. I'm new to this forum but Messis and I have crossed paths on another wooden ship forum. I too am building the second iteration of AL's L'Hermione. I'm not as far along as Messis and I'm trying to take advantage of his hard won experience.

Messis, your Hermione looks great! It really looks very good. I too am trying to reproduce the original ship and I'm not including some of the safety features that have been added to the modern replica. One thing the caught my eye was the inclusion of the galley stove on the gun deck. Is that something you scratch built yourself Messis? It's a nice added detail.

I would also like to add my comments regarding the AL instructions. There are definitely a lot of errors and omissions. I think attributing them the "printing errors" is being too kind. As a first time wooded ship model builder I don't think I fully appreciated the value of have scale drawings on hand for reference. The PDF is just not enough.

Richard

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum but Messis and I have crossed paths on another wooden ship forum. I too am building the second iteration of AL's L'Hermione. I'm not as far along as Messis and I'm trying to take advantage of his hard won experience.

Messis, your Hermione looks great! It really looks very good. I too am trying to reproduce the original ship and I'm not including some of the safety features that have been added to the modern replica. One thing the caught my eye was the inclusion of the galley stove on the gun deck. Is that something you scratch built yourself Messis? It's a nice added detail.

I would also like to add my comments regarding the AL instructions. There are definitely a lot of errors and omissions. I think attributing them the "printing errors" is being too kind. As a first time wooded ship model builder I don't think I fully appreciated the value of have scale drawings on hand for reference. The PDF is just not enough.

Richard
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum (sorry @Messis to hijack your log) - would be very good and interesting to see your model in a building log!
The Hermione is a very interesting ship, kits are available, planset from Lemineur and the book from Villiers, the replica ship in Rochefort - A lot of modelers knows this vessel, and it is every time interesting to see new interpretations and models - so please Question-Mark

Thank you for the encouragement about starting a build log. My photo documentation has been incomplete but I will consider posting what I have and try to improve on it in the future.

Messis, I would still like to get some details about that galley stove that you added in your build.

Richard

@Richard Klecker go to this discussion, everything you need to know is there

Thanks @Messis. That's just what I needed. I think that galley stove is a nice addition that will distinguish the modern replica from the original fighting ship.
No No,
we came at this time to the conclusion, that this bassin was used on french ships during the time of sails - it is shown in a lot of drawings of french ships - please read the complete information given by @Messis link to the discussion.
So not only at the replica - the original had it also

On the replica they have a real kitchen so they did not install a stove
Here a YT of a tour of the ship all the section
we have to remember that it is a ship that navigate and they do have the constraint of French naval law and the insurance

Back