L' Hermione AL 1/89

@Uwek, my comment was related to the galley stove itself. I can see from the pictures of the modern replica that the stove vents are in place on the replica but the attached photo of the replica shows, I think, that there is no actual stove installed below the vents on the gun deck.

Richard

View attachment 112920
You are right - there is no stove installed
IMG_05131.jpg
There is now a storage room (or the toilets - I do not remember any more)

0510smfront7__035984700_1642_02062010.jpg

A question for you @Messis. Maybe I can call you Christos? I am seeing on your photos of your progress that you posted in August that you have added some custom made stanchions along the inboard side of the gangways and down the ladders. Could you please provide some details about how those stanchions were made? I am particularly interested in the small eyes at the top through which the rope is passed.

Richard

1569615799792.png

@Richard Klecker ofcourse you can call me Christos. Still am sorry to disappoint you Richard, but the stanchions are not custom made. I bought them from Cornwall Modelboats. There are from Corel as you see, there are a lot of sizes, with one or two or three eyes etc. The price I believe its reasonable.
Hope it helps
ChristosScreenshot_20190928-083252_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Richard. I am in doubt how I shall proceed with the standing rigging. The main stay is showed by the kit's instructions as a double stay, but it doesnt look very realistic. I dont know how the double main stay was made at that time... so am thinkig to go for what I know... just a single main stay, even if that may be was not the case for the original Hermione.

Well there's no way I'm going to be able to offer any real advice on single versus double main mast stays. I did come across the picture below the is, I believe, in the L'Hermione Monograph. That pictures is part of painting that is supposed to depict the L'Hermione in action in 1781. If I'm understanding the painting correctly it shows both the main mast and the fore mast with double stays. I'm not sure how much credibility can be attached a period painting like that.

Detail of Hermione in action 1781.JPG

I believe the double stays were quite common in those times, first of all on man o'wars, where one could be shot away ... or if both suffered the same faith, it was just bad luck...
Janos

That looks great! I know from your posts elsewhere that you've had to do some of this more than once. I will take advantage of your research and the contributions of others to add some historical accuracy to the same kit I am building. Great progress.

Back