L' Hermione AL 1/89

@Richard Klecker Yes Richard, except the conversations that you noticed and except my visit to Rochefort I have also bought and studied a few books. Do you have some... if you like I can send you over some titles, that you can find either at the Hermione-Lafayette Association or at Amazon. I believe my research and my modifications on the model, have brought it nearer to the original ship of 1779.

Christos

@Charles QC Yes... they did made improvements! Still note that I have made more than a few modifications to the kit, plus that I bought extra, all the blocks, the hearts the belaying pins, the stanchions, the ropes, the flag and ofcourse the copper plates.

No... I changed my mind, isnt anything to show... I thought it didbut it didnt.

So its Christmas time and I have closed down the shipyard. Everybody can now welcome their grandsons and all their beloved ones. This is what I will be doing myself. But still.... I have let a small part of the shipyard open... maybe -when everybody sleeps- I get a chance to work occasionally on block staining and the fore mast shrouds... who knows, maybe I catch Santa coming down through the chimney and have together a glass of Monkey Shoulder single malt scotch!

View attachment 124943
So... merry christmas and a happy new year to all...

Happy new year to all. Rigging is about to start. Hermione’s kit needed some upgrading also in the lines and blocks issues.

Concerning the black standing rigging lines, diam. 0.15 mm, 0.5mm and 0.8mm, those have been replaced by I purchasing rope of fine quality from Modellbau Tagelgarn. I have also upgraded the diameter size of them upwards, by replacing the 0.15mm with a 0.5mm, the 0.5 mm diameter rope with a 0.8 mm and the 0,8 mm with a 1.2 mm diameter. It looks better this way, because the kit’s lines look thicker than the good quality rope from M.T.. For the hemp running rigging am going to use the lines in the kit, the quality of those isn’t so bad and also 0.15 and 0.25mm diameters are too thin to worth an upgrade.

Concerning the blocks and the closed hearts, Syren Ship Model Co. had provided me with fine quality single, double, triple blocks and closed hearts. Again, I went on 5mm instead of 4.5 for the single block, the 6mm double remained and what the triple blocks concerned, there are just two for the anchors, I used a 6mm instead of 7mm. Lastly I purchased 12 pieces of 7mm closed hearts of excellent quality, which they were delivered from Syren Moel Co for me to assemble. The dead-eyes remain the ones of the kit.
Syren Model Co closed hearts.pngSyren Model Co blocks.jpgModelbau Tagelgarn.jpg

Standing rigging comes almost to the end (mizzenmast back stays still to come). Some shoe paint was used in order to clean the glue stains from the ropes. The ''binding thread'' (auxiliary thread used to bind standing rigging ropes in position) was waxed for better adhesion. All the standing rigging ropes (from Modellbau Tagelgarn), were excellent quality and I have not treated them in any way.stand rig stern.jpgstandrigging fore.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice progress Christos! It all looks great. I really appreciate your detailed suggestions regarding replacement rigging ropes. I plan to do the same thing when it comes time to start my rigging work. I have not updated my build log recently because I was waiting to finish some of the bow and stern details. That has taken waaay longer than I expected but I am now nearing the completion of that work.

Yards have been formed and then prepared with a pass of cellulose sealer and then had a fine sanding with a 240 and 320 sandpaper. After that two passes of black acrylic vallejo paint did the miracle.

After drying the yards were equipped with their fine quality double and triple blocks from Syren Model Ship Co.20200220_112011.jpg

Back